IGNORED

Used drivers and 3 woods

Hazza
Note: This thread is 3096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello folks, 

I've checked out a few of the old threads, I'm sure some of it still rings  true but these questions tend to change over time as new technology comes through. 

Looking at buying a used driver and possibly a 3 wood. Playing off 25 with a round about a 90mph swing speed. 

I know clubs need to be tried but want to narrow the field, what's a good used purchase for these two clubs? I've heard good things about Cobra (bio cell in particular but also old models) and Ping (g10 and k15) . Also what sort of loft should I be looking at for the driver, wouldn't say I get the ball up with ease. 

While we're at it 4 hybrids? 

Thanks folks. 

The Cobra and Ping drivers are good choices. As for loft, if your swing speed is below 95, consider a higher loft, 10.5 or even 12. Without seeing your swing, it is tough to judge. My swing speed is around 95 and I use a 12 degree driver. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With that kind of swing speed, most likely need a regular shaft driver (kick point would be based on swing) and a higher loft would most likely be better.  12* or 13* most likely would be best unless your swing has a high AoA.  Ideally go to a pro shop and hit with a launch monitor measuring your spin rate and launch angles.  Clubs as old as the R5 are still good enough and almost as good as the modern woods.  Minimal difference.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Nice, I have an R5 Dual but it's 10.5 degrees and seems quite low in terms of ball flight. I would say I hit it around 175 total distance. 

Then definitely look into a higher loft.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I use a Ping G5 that i got of a "popular internet auction site" lightly used for £35. It launches the ball on a nice mid height trajectory.

If you're on a budget then there are some great deals to be had. Stay away from the "brand new SLDR/R1/Big Berth etc. being sold for stupidly low prices by some randon bloke, more often than not fakes. Older clubs are less likely to be fakes but do your homework.

Also on adjustable clubs, make sure the seller has the adjusting tool before parting with your hard earned cash as many ive seen dont have it. 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

When looking for used clubs and i don't have a particular brand in mind I tend to search the whats the best ever threads.  You'll be suprised about the results.  I did this when i was looking for a 3 wood.  I had a cobra amp cell that I was take or leave because would lose high and right or seem to hit worm burners. I kept seeing callaway steel head plus mentioned in the best 3 wood ever threads.  I was able to get one for $5 on ebay.  My pro upgraded the shaft but to be honest the improvements on switching to a PRO X shaft and sticking with a steel shaft may even be marginal. But that being said. Its a great 3 wood and the easiest one to hit off the deck that I have ever hit.

Edited by sirhacksalot

Hello folks, 

I've checked out a few of the old threads, I'm sure some of it still rings  true but these questions tend to change over time as new technology comes through. 

Looking at buying a used driver and possibly a 3 wood. Playing off 25 with a round about a 90mph swing speed. 

I know clubs need to be tried but want to narrow the field, what's a good used purchase for these two clubs? I've heard good things about Cobra (bio cell in particular but also old models) and Ping (g10 and k15) . Also what sort of loft should I be looking at for the driver, wouldn't say I get the ball up with ease. 

While we're at it 4 hybrids? 

Thanks folks. 

Two things:

1. Get an adjustable driver.   I got my 2012 Nike VrS for $35 on eBay ... Its so nice to be able to minimize your problem ball flight (if its a hook or slice) by adjusting the driver.  I have a buddy who has such a problem with hooking - if he'd just spend a couple bucks and get a driver that he could set fade bias, he'd probably still hook it, but wouldn't be nearly as extreme.

2. Get the right flex - for your swing speed that would be "regular".   I've found using a flex thats too stiff will make a slice worse (if you have slicing problems, something to be aware of).

Edited by inthehole

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I just bought a like new Titleist 975 JVS 9.5* driver Stiff Speeder shaft for $39.  Can't wait to give it a try.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

You'll want to check the Callawaypreowned site if you want a used Callaway. This is for the Big Bertha. With your distances (175 yds) you'll probably want the 13.5 degree with the Light-flex shaft or senior flex. They have them in different conditions. The "like new" is like new.

I play a Big Bertha (10.5) and a Razr Fit (11.5 degree) both with A-flex or senior flex and I swing around 95 with a 230-235 total distance. It's about the feel with the shaft. I like the softer flex. It has a lower kick point that can help some people get the ball in the air, although my numbers on Trackman show virtually no difference between stiff and senior. It's just feel.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

My "new" driver is a Titleist 905T with a Speeder shaft. I picked it up at a pawn shop maybe 5 years ago(when it was 5 yrs old) for $50-55, or about 10-15% of its original price. If you buy from a golf retailer, you will pay a bit more depending on the item. Sometimes they might throw in a new grip or something.

I can't add much to what has been said. You should probably look for a driver in the 12* range and a shaft in the regular range. Hit it if at all possible. With a fairway, look for something in the 16-18* range.  Hybrids are useful if you like them. I have two Callaways, a 20* and a 23* that I bought from a friend for $25 each.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Thanks for all the replies, in the end I picked up a used cobra biocell. It will allow me to use a 12 degree setting but adjust if I need to as I improve and it got a lot of good reviews for forgiveness too. Picked it up barely used with head cover and tool for half retail so I'm a happy chappy. 

Note: This thread is 3096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!