or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm extremely happy with my bag with one exception, the wedges. I like the clubs themselves but the PW is 46* and the SW is 54*, leaving quite a distance gap. I'm thinking I'd like to take the Ping SW out and pick up a 52*, 56*, and eventually a 60*. However, I'm not sure what brand.

I've hit a friend's Cleveland wedges (588s if I remember correctly) and got a lot more spin with them, and I've heard lots of great things about Vokeys, but I don't know if I want to spend $200-300+ on wedges right now. I've heard some good things about this Adams Tom Watson set, and have been considering them as well. I'm just not sure about the bounce on them (52.07, 56.13, and 60.07). Does anyone have other recommendations for wedges I should consider, or should I go for the nicer wedges and just gradually add them to my bag?
post #2 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

The Adams Tom watson set is an excellent value. Watch RockBottomGolf, they run specials on wedge sets. Not too long ago they had Mizuno wedges at an excellent $ that would work well for higher handicappers.
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Originally Posted by alf174 View Post
The Adams Tom watson set is an excellent value. Watch RockBottomGolf, they run specials on wedge sets. Not too long ago they had Mizuno wedges at an excellent $ that would work well for higher handicappers.
I've read some good reviews, I just haven't seen many comments on the overall quality (grip durability, etc). Thanks for the tip, I'll keep my eye on that site.
post #4 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

I have heard the Watson wedge set doesnt get as much spin as others. But they are great for the money. If you like the Vokey's, then add them all if you want to because I am sure you will love them in the long run. Or just add a few at a time or buy slightly used.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
I have heard the Watson wedge set doesnt get as much spin as others. But they are great for the money. If you like the Vokey's, then add them all if you want to because I am sure you will love them in the long run. Or just add a few at a time or buy slightly used.
That's too bad, I generated plenty of spin to stop the ball within a few inches of landing with my buddy's Cleveland (much more than the SW that came with my irons), so I know I'm capable of it swing-wise. Honestly my short game is probably my strong point, if I'm within ~80 yards of the hole I can get it within 6-10 feet the majority of the time. I'd think that nicer wedges would help me a great deal as I currently have to account for a fair amount of forward roll.
post #6 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Mizuno MP-R wedges are great. You can probably find a used one on ebay for about 30-40 bucks.
post #7 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

I had a similar dilema with the same exact gap. I plugged in a pair of Cleveland wedges (CG12s) which aren't the latest out there but picked both up for less than the price of just about anything out there. I grabbed a 52* and had it adjusted to a 50* and added a 60* for the good shots.

Unfortunately I bought these today with my x18r's so I can't report 1st hand, however I'm sure someone else has them and can chime in.
post #8 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Get a 56* vokey + thats your best bet no matter your handicap.

You may want a more forgiving gap wedge, or pitching wedge if your not confident hitting vokeys (which are blades) as gap & pitching wedges.

Dont get a lob wedge, save yourself the hassle
post #9 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

The Tom Watson set would be a good choice, decent quality at a decent price; however, if you want to only carry 2 wedges, may I suggest something like a 52* with 8 or 10 degrees of bounce and a 58* for a sand wedge with lots of bounce like 12 or 14 degrees. Those specs are widely available and would match well with your existing PW of 46*.

Vokeys are the cadillacs, but with patience you can usually find Clevelands, Callaways or Nikes on sale at a more reasonable price which hit and look similar to Vokeys (but not exactly the same, test drive a couple before you make up your mind).

You might also want to look into getting the lies and lofts tweaked if necessary. It would only cost a few bucks and would increase your accuracy a ton!
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

The way my bag is currently set up I could potentially carry four wedges, including my existing PW (which I quite like). I am still undecided on whether or not I want a lob wedge, I need to demo a few more before I make up my mind. These are the two setups I'm mulling over:

current 46* - 52* - 56* - 60* (if I add a lob)
current 46* - 50* - 54* - 58* (if I add a lob)

I'm leaning more toward the second, as that's a nice even 4 degree separation between each club. I like the idea of that many short-range options, I just don't know if I really *need* that many. I do find myself off to the sides of the green a fair amount (or coming up short) but who knows, maybe my PW and two others would be plenty!
post #11 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Originally Posted by amcquay View Post
The way my bag is currently set up I could potentially carry four wedges, including my existing PW (which I quite like). I am still undecided on whether or not I want a lob wedge, I need to demo a few more before I make up my mind. These are the two setups I'm mulling over:

current 46* - 52* - 56* - 60* (if I add a lob)
current 46* - 50* - 54* - 58* (if I add a lob)

I'm leaning more toward the second, as that's a nice even 4 degree separation between each club. I like the idea of that many short-range options, I just don't know if I really *need* that many. I do find myself off to the sides of the green a fair amount (or coming up short) but who knows, maybe my PW and two others would be plenty!
You'll laugh (at me, rather than with me), but I've just put together a set of ping tour-w wedges that is all of the above (50° to 60° every 2°). It means i can put what I want in the bag, when I want them. I bought them second hand from ebay at about half price. Because they are a cast stainless there is no wear on the clubs, and they should be good for years. I'm not saying the tour-w's are the best wedges, but they're more durable than most. I have no problem spinning them.

What you need to consider is which clubs you would have with which bounce. You'll need at least one with a higher bounce for soft sand and wet fluffy lies, and you might want to consider your lob wedge with a lower bounce. For the record my 50° is 12° bounce, my 60° is 8° bounce, and all the others are 10° bounce. I feel this lets me hit a range of shots, from a range of different lies.
post #12 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Question. How's your wedge game? I see you're a 20 Hcp. I'm fairly high but I have a better short game than long, so I use a blade wedge. Depending on how you hit the ball, you may want to check out Wilson Staff's new line. CB's in the lower lofts, blades in the lowers. I believe they are well priced.

http://www.wilson.com/wilson/staff/p...34374302759023
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Originally Posted by Iowa Hawkeye View Post
Question. How's your wedge game? I see you're a 20 Hcp. I'm fairly high but I have a better short game than long, so I use a blade wedge. Depending on how you hit the ball, you may want to check out Wilson Staff's new line. CB's in the lower lofts, blades in the lowers. I believe they are well priced.

http://www.wilson.com/wilson/staff/p...34374302759023
My wedge game is my strong suit, by far. I'll see if any shops around here carry those and add them to my list to try, thanks.
post #14 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Originally Posted by amcquay View Post
I'm extremely happy with my bag with one exception, the wedges. I like the clubs themselves but the PW is 46* and the SW is 54*, leaving quite a distance gap. I'm thinking I'd like to take the Ping SW out and pick up a 52*, 56*, and eventually a 60*.
With that set of irons, nothing makes as much sense as adding the 50* G10 U wedge, and then the 58* G10 L wedge.

I am a total fan of the Lob wedge, but find that most higher handicappers tend to add loft through impact on greenside pitches. This makes the 58* Lob wedge a much more reliable proposition than a 60*.

Of course, if you are a natural delofter like me, then more loft is good.
post #15 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

I've got a Cleveland CG12 *48 and then Cleveland CG14s in *52, *56 and *60. I absolutely love them. They get great spin on the ball and feel great imo.
post #16 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

With a 46º PW, I'd go with a 50/52º GW, around 8º bounce and a 56º or 58º SW which also can be used as LW with 10-14º bounce. From 50-52º and up, it doesn't matter if you have a gap, with some practice you can easily cover a large distance area with the two wedges by shortening the backswing and/or grabbing down on the club. You are also so close to the hole that feel plays just as big, if not a bigger role.

If you want another wedge, I'd go 50, 54 and 58, but don't find the 54 all that necessary.

Don't really need the 60º when you've got a 56/58º. When you need a high shot, it's doable with those clubs also. At your handicap, the high flop shots aren't where you lose shots anyways. Getting on the green should be your concern.
post #17 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

I gotta tell ya....you've already got the wedges I'm loving right now...or at least very simular. I've been very happy with my G5 wedges. I'm getting the trajectory (high) and spin that I've been lacking.

The gap wedge was a great addition. For me, it's the perfect 100yd stick.

The sole design on these is super. I've been a ping wedge lover since begining the game years ago....and using my buddies Eye2 wedges.

For me...the gap wedge and lob wedge were worth dropping the 5-wood from the bag.

Good luck.
post #18 of 20

Re: Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper

Slightly off topic, but how do you guys feel about buying used wedges? I'm not sure how comfortable I am buying them online where I can inspect the actual condition of the club. Since the grooves are more important w/ wedges is it best to buy them new?

I am looking into some Cleveland CG 12's in a 52 and a 56. Would these be comparable to Vokeys? My local Golfdom has a buy one, get one 40% off on anything in the store, so $175 for two new wedges seems like a good deal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Wedge recommendations for mid-high handicapper