or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Callaway JAWS wedge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Callaway JAWS wedge

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hey!

I am thinking about getting the new Cally JAW wedges, however it is now fall nearly winter up here in Canada and I can't really give them a go outside. So I thought I would see if anyone has played with them yet and could provide some feedback.

I was in the store and the sales guy told me straight out not to buy them because they play hard like their previous wedges. I didn't use the last Cally wedges as I am still gaming my x-tours however I thought this year a change was in order.

Any sort of feedback would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Don't take my word for it as I am not a big fan of Callaway.
There are better wedges out there, namely Mizuno MP T-10, Titleist Vokey 2009 and 2010 and Clevelands CG15.
post #3 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

u just cant say that especially at a 28 index, is different for everyone your opinion doesn't mean jack as far as those are better wedges
post #4 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Originally Posted by anthonykim3 View Post
u just cant say that especially at a 28 index, is different for everyone your opinion doesn't mean jack as far as those are better wedges
Hey dillweed, that's not really for you to decide is it? Let the OP decide whose comments to listen to (or not).

I expect these clubs are good just like every other club made by every other reputable person. Quality companies don't put out crap very often - especially not in wedges.
post #5 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Originally Posted by Phil McGlenno View Post
Hey dillweed, that's not really for you to decide is it? Let the OP decide whose comments to listen to (or not).

I expect these clubs are good just like every other club made by every other reputable person. Quality companies don't put out crap very often - especially not in wedges.
^
Listen to this guy, he is Butch Harmon.
post #6 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

I am an avid Callaway fan, but I think my next set of wedges are going to be the 09 spin milled Vokeys. My buddy has the 56 degree Jaws wedge and it feels almost identical to my current Callaway 56. It was a little more forgiving tho and it sure can check up the ball nicely. I just think the oil can vokeys look better and have more "feel" to them.
post #7 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Originally Posted by Golfaway View Post
Don't take my word for it as I am not a big fan of Callaway.
There are better wedges out there, namely Mizuno MP T-10, Titleist Vokey 2009 and 2010 and Clevelands CG15.

Man you really have something against callaway but I'm kind of like that with certain club makers.


I have had the opportunity to hit this club a little and it's design is certainly out of the box. However weight is nice, has good feel (firm but not bad), and the grooves are as good as any. The bounce options for lefties just don't work for me but I would look at it as much as I would look at any other wedge.
post #8 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Originally Posted by clubchamp View Post
Man you really have something against callaway but I'm kind of like that with certain club makers.


I have had the opportunity to hit this club a little and it's design is certainly out of the box. However weight is nice, has good feel (firm but not bad), and the grooves are as good as any. The bounce options for lefties just don't work for me but I would look at it as much as I would look at any other wedge.
Nothing against Callaway really, I gamed the X-14s for a year, and while I never broke 100 with them, I still do not blame them for my bad play.
The main reason for my steering away from Callaway maybe is that almost everybody at our club plays Callaway that I am sick of seeing Callaway clubs and bags everywhere.
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

I have played most of the other wedges out there and I find that that the Callaway wedges just sit nice and are great clubs. I was just curious how these felt and if the grooves were noticably different. Currently playing with the Callaway X-tours and not sure I necessarily want to switch if they aren't much better.

I appreciate your opinion on Callaway, but as you can see I am pretty set on their clubs.
post #10 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Cleveland wedges are the best wedges out there - especially the CG12's
Vokeys are good but a little heavy
nothing else is even close
post #11 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Hi, the press release said they have the Mack Daddy grooves if this is the case, then they just can't be bad. In the last 20 months I have had 4 full sets of wedges, the first were Callaway X Forged, I loved them, the 60 deg with the Mack Daddy Grooves is an awesome club. When they said that the grooves wuld be outlawed, I got anohter set of Vokey spin milled to put away, I played them a couple of rounds and they were certainly nice clubs, no issues, just preferred the Callaways, so soold the Vokey's, went to get some more Callaway's (I was in the USA, I am an Aussie...clubs are so cheap in USA :)) anyway, they did not have the X Forged in stock, the guy talked me into the Taylormade wedges with the 'Z' grooves, I plain did not like these, just did not like the way they sat, I sold them to a mate for $200 Aussie and recently bought a set of Mizuno MP T -10 wedges currently playing these and like them a lot. To be brutally honest, none of these wedges appeal to me like the Callaway X Forged and NOTHING spins like the Mack Daddy grooves, mind u as new they will eat balls like you would never believe, they actually shred pieces off like a cheese grater...if you want control and the ability to be able to spin the ball, then Mack Daddy is for you. Gotta admit, I was disappointed when the Jaws wedges appeared, cause I had just received my Mizuno's. At this stage, I intend to keep the Mizuno's, but If I wa sa betting man, Id say the 60 Deg Mack Daddy will reappear in my bag at some stage.
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

I understand that everyone has their opinions on the type of wedge they play and I am sure you all have your reasons why. I am just interested in knowing if anyone has put them in their bag, and how they like them.

I am sure there are a ton of threads on this forum that would be more appropriate for posts regarding which wedge you prefer.

THanks!
post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Originally Posted by Dragonsrock View Post
Hi, the press release said they have the Mack Daddy grooves if this is the case, then they just can't be bad. In the last 20 months I have had 4 full sets of wedges, the first were Callaway X Forged, I loved them, the 60 deg with the Mack Daddy Grooves is an awesome club. When they said that the grooves wuld be outlawed, I got anohter set of Vokey spin milled to put away, I played them a couple of rounds and they were certainly nice clubs, no issues, just preferred the Callaways, so soold the Vokey's, went to get some more Callaway's (I was in the USA, I am an Aussie...clubs are so cheap in USA :)) anyway, they did not have the X Forged in stock, the guy talked me into the Taylormade wedges with the 'Z' grooves, I plain did not like these, just did not like the way they sat, I sold them to a mate for $200 Aussie and recently bought a set of Mizuno MP T -10 wedges currently playing these and like them a lot. To be brutally honest, none of these wedges appeal to me like the Callaway X Forged and NOTHING spins like the Mack Daddy grooves, mind u as new they will eat balls like you would never believe, they actually shred pieces off like a cheese grater...if you want control and the ability to be able to spin the ball, then Mack Daddy is for you. Gotta admit, I was disappointed when the Jaws wedges appeared, cause I had just received my Mizuno's. At this stage, I intend to keep the Mizuno's, but If I wa sa betting man, Id say the 60 Deg Mack Daddy will reappear in my bag at some stage.
I have heard the Mac Daddy grooves are good. The Callaway wedges I currently play do not have those types of grooves, so I am a little anxious to see the difference.
post #14 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Quinn07,

I play the Callaway X-Forged SW. It works well out of the trap, and I also use it to get a one-hoppers out of shaggy greenside rough. (Note: I carry no LW)

My 56.14 works find for how I use it. My AW is 50.11, and feels klunky and I have trouble getting consistent distance. My 45.07 PW works just fine.

Both Callaway X-Tour and Forged wedges mostly have most bounce angles above 10º. Do you get clean shots with the 52 and 60?
post #15 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

they look like the x prototype irons thats about all i know about them not much help here sorry
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post
Quinn07,Both Callaway X-Tour and Forged wedges mostly have most bounce angles above 10º. Do you get clean shots with the 52 and 60?
I don't have a problem with the bounce on the wedges with the C-grind. It allows you to manipulate the club to hit the shots you need. My wedge play is normally my strongest part of my game.
post #17 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

I have had quite a bit of experience with the X-Tour and X-Forged wedges. Both are very good wedges from my experience. I haven't tried the Jaws wedges but would think they would be fairly similar. The MD grooves spin more than any other wedge out there now, pretty incredible. I found the X-Forged and X-Tour wedges to be noticeably more durable than any other wedge and able to maintain a good spin rate after a lot of practice. The Spin Milled lost their spin much much quicker, as do the Cleveland wedges. The X-Forged and X-Tour were VERY hard on golf balls and are a little tougher to hit consistently than the Cleveland wedges and have a shape that isn't as nice as the Vokey Spin Milled (some might like the Cally shape better). The Jaws should be good wedges but also check out the Vokey SM, Cleveland CG's, Nike VR, and Mizuno NP-T 10 wedges for comparison. I suspect the Jaws wedges will be slightly less forgiving than the Cleveland wedges (to me the Cleveland wedges are the easiest to hit), will create more spin than most any other wedge (MD grooves), have the most durable face, and the hardest on golf balls.
post #18 of 25

Re: Callaway JAWS wedge

I have the same problem, so if you considered the overall spin, how long the spin lasts, feel and sole grind's effects, which is better?

old 2009 vokey or Jaws?

also new CC 2010 Vokeys or Jaws?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Callaway JAWS wedge