or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Irons Here

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Finally they got delivered.

 

 

 

MP 59's, 4-PW, KBS Tour X-Stiff shafts

 

Its bad when clubs look so good you really don't want to hit them. Yet these clubs feel so good when striking a golf ball you can overlook that part. Though it would be nice if I can keep them shiny all the time :)

post #2 of 17

Very nice.

post #3 of 17
I have nothing against Mizuno and quite like their equipment, but I have a hard time keeping track of their irons. They make Taylormade look like rank amateurs when it come to seeing how many different models they can krank out in a short amount of time. a2_wink.gif
post #4 of 17
I almost bought these over my MP-64's. Very good set of irons. Congratulations on the great purchase.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Finally they got delivered.





MP 59's, 4-PW, KBS Tour X-Stiff shafts

Its bad when clubs look so good you really don't want to hit them. Yet these clubs feel so good when striking a golf ball you can overlook that part. Though it would be nice if I can keep them shiny all the time :)

Schweeeet! c2_beer.gif
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

I have nothing against Mizuno and quite like their equipment, but I have a hard time keeping track of their irons. They make Taylormade look like rank amateurs when it come to seeing how many different models they can krank out in a short amount of time. a2_wink.gif

 

 

 
Mizuno like Titleist usually has 4 different player irons. When they come out with new designs is every two years. That is just between similar irons. 
 
So like Mizuno MP 63 was 2011, MP 64 was 2013
Mizuno MP 58 was 2010, MP 59 was 2012
 
The thing that has confused things is that Mizuno came out with two new designs totally in the H4 irons and the MP-54 irons. So that will throw things in the mix. 
 
Mizuno really doesn't come out with clubs that often. They are good at spacing the iron sets and they also offer a wide selection of player irons and a few Game Improvement irons. 
 
Taylomade will come out with clubs yearly, changing them. This is also a reason why they are always on sale. It wasn't but a few months when the Rockebladez tour went on sale, and still has been on sale at many chain golf stores. 
 
I also think its tougher to keep track of numbers rather than names. Titleist has the same names but they just change the 3 digit designation for the year they came out. Like AP1 712 irons. Which makes it easier to understand. 
post #7 of 17
Dang those irons are beautiful. I hope I can get my swing good enough someday to get back to forged irons like that.
Got a set of Mizuno JPX-825's heading my way right now.
How forgiving are the MP-59's?
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrebel View Post

Dang those irons are beautiful. I hope I can get my swing good enough someday to get back to forged irons like that.
Got a set of Mizuno JPX-825's heading my way right now.
How forgiving are the MP-59's?

 

Really forged irons are not tough to hit. What they get you on is toe and heel shots will come up farther short. I think most people just have a unneeded fear of blade irons. Unless you get pure muscle back irons, most of these irons have some built in forgiveness. Like mine, that Titanium & Stainless steel insert, which besides looking damn sweet, provides a bit more perimeter weighting to the club.

 

I do think the 4 & 5 irons could be a bit bigger. I was standing over the 4 iron on the last hole to hit a drive. I was like, "Shit that looks tiny". Then i put that out of my mind and hit the ball, and I was like, "Damn that felt good". I'm all good now ;)

 

What I wanted most is a club with little offset. I can line these up way much better than my other irons.

 

I think a lot of people can get over there fear of better player irons if they just demo them. Once they see, "Hey i can hit that". They might be willing to give them a try.

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Really forged irons are not tough to hit. What they get you on is toe and heel shots will come up farther short. I think most people just have a unneeded fear of blade irons. Unless you get pure muscle back irons, most of these irons have some built in forgiveness. Like mine, that Titanium & Stainless steel insert, which besides looking damn sweet, provides a bit more perimeter weighting to the club.

I do think the 4 & 5 irons could be a bit bigger. I was standing over the 4 iron on the last hole to hit a drive. I was like, "Shit that looks tiny". Then i put that out of my mind and hit the ball, and I was like, "Damn that felt good". I'm all good now ;)

What I wanted most is a club with little offset. I can line these up way much better than my other irons.

I think a lot of people can get over there fear of better player irons if they just demo them. Once they see, "Hey i can hit that". They might be willing to give them a try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrebel View Post

Dang those irons are beautiful. I hope I can get my swing good enough someday to get back to forged irons like that.
Got a set of Mizuno JPX-825's heading my way right now.
How forgiving are the MP-59's?

Arrrrrrgggghhhh.......!

Forging is NOTHING MORE THAN A MANUFACTURING PROCESS. It has NOTHING to do with the type of club, forgiveness, feel, or playing characteristics. It's just the process by which it was made.

c4_mad.gif
.
.
.
.
.
Ahem......sorry about that. Still love those MP-59's, no matter how they made 'em! a2_wink.gif
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

 

Really forged irons are not tough to hit. What they get you on is toe and heel shots will come up farther short. I think most people just have a unneeded fear of blade irons. Unless you get pure muscle back irons, most of these irons have some built in forgiveness. Like mine, that Titanium & Stainless steel insert, which besides looking damn sweet, provides a bit more perimeter weighting to the club.

 

I do think the 4 & 5 irons could be a bit bigger. I was standing over the 4 iron on the last hole to hit a drive. I was like, "Shit that looks tiny". Then i put that out of my mind and hit the ball, and I was like, "Damn that felt good". I'm all good now ;)

 

What I wanted most is a club with little offset. I can line these up way much better than my other irons.

 

I think a lot of people can get over there fear of better player irons if they just demo them. Once they see, "Hey i can hit that". They might be willing to give them a try.

 



Yeah, I need to give them a try. I did swing a MP-53 6 iron at Edwin Watts and have to admit it was pretty easy to hit and felt awesome..
I'm 54 years old now but back in my teens and to mid twenties I was playing Wilson Staff Dynapower Fluid Feel irons. A true forged blade. Still got them.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Arrrrrrgggghhhh.......!

Forging is NOTHING MORE THAN A MANUFACTURING PROCESS. It has NOTHING to do with the type of club, forgiveness, feel, or playing characteristics. It's just the process by which it was made.

c4_mad.gif
.
.
.
.
.
Ahem......sorry about that. Still love those MP-59's, no matter how they made 'em! a2_wink.gif

 

That is true yes. But you can do a lot more with casting than you can with forging. If you look at the process that Mizuno does (check youtube, its pretty cool). You can see the limitations. They actually stamp out the iron. Then if they want a cavity back they have to mill out the back of the club. With cast you create one mold and pore liquid metal into it. You can get much more detail and do fancier things with casting because you can throw in voided areas easier than you can if you had to mill the same area. This also cuts down on cost.

 

Yes, you can achieve the same results if labor was no issue ;)

 

I agree in most cases, forging does have a bit to do with feel. Every different process produces a different sound. If you hit a mizuno iron compared to a ping, you can tell the difference in sound. Its the reason i went from ping driver to Titleist driver. I can now hear the difference in shots depending on how i strike the ball. With ping, nearly the whole clubface sounded the same. I could hit a slight heel shot and it sound the same as a toe shot. With my Titleist they sound completely different. So i can get feedback. Same with Mizuno. They sound completely different because Mizuno will forge them in a certain way, the same way for each club.

 

There's a good video to watch, were they tap the iron heads with a piece of metal. most irons sound the same, very clunky. The Mizuno irons have a high pitch sound when they tap it. This translates to a softer sound when you strike a golf ball.

 

That is a characteristic of there Forging process. So yes, Forging can effect feel if done in a certain manor.

post #12 of 17

I have the JPX-825 pros with X-stiff KBS tours.  I love them and they look lovely too.

 

When I did my custom fitting I was hitting the 59s and 825s equally as good, but I got scared off them thinking of the real world application in regards to the fitting which was at the range...

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananarama View Post
 

I have the JPX-825 pros with X-stiff KBS tours.  I love them and they look lovely too.

 

When I did my custom fitting I was hitting the 59s and 825s equally as good, but I got scared off them thinking of the real world application in regards to the fitting which was at the range...

 

When I did my ball fitting they had me hit JPX-825 pros with stiff shafts. I could tell the loft was a bit different because the 6 iron I was hitting showed the same distance I hit my current 7 iron. I've been putting some serious thought into moving to mizuno lately, just the cost is pretty prohibitive for me.

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 

Yea Mizuno are up there in price. But i think the quality of their work is above a lot of other club makers. I really like that they have there own forge for there club making, instead of contracting out. So they ultimately have first hand quality control.

 

Another thing to consider. For most Mizuno irons, there is no up charge going between Dynamic gold, KBS tour, and Project X shafts. A lot of other companies will up charge you, and then your getting close to Mizuno prices. They do have some shafts that have up charge. But i got my MP 59's with KBS tour shafts with no up charge. If i went to other companies, it would cost me 15-20 dollars a club to get the shaft i want.

 

So, all things considered, i got mine for a very competitive price for the quality.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Yea Mizuno are up there in price. But i think the quality of their work is above a lot of other club makers. I really like that they have there own forge for there club making, instead of contracting out. So they ultimately have first hand quality control.

 

Another thing to consider. For most Mizuno irons, there is no up charge going between Dynamic gold, KBS tour, and Project X shafts. A lot of other companies will up charge you, and then your getting close to Mizuno prices. They do have some shafts that have up charge. But i got my MP 59's with KBS tour shafts with no up charge. If i went to other companies, it would cost me 15-20 dollars a club to get the shaft i want.

 

So, all things considered, i got mine for a very competitive price for the quality.

 

Did you have the lofts adjusted to match the previous set or did you just make the adjustment in club selection?

post #16 of 17

Mighty pretty new sticks saevel25!  Congratulations.

 

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro is on my short list to seriously demo for a birthday present I'm  gonna need in a few months, along with the new AP2s.  Not at all sure I'm up to Mizuno's MP clubs, but those are so dang sharp I'm going to have to at least give 'em a try.

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 

Well Mizuno can adjust a few degrees on the irons, but i didn't want to mess with that. So I am just going to adjust to the new irons over time. I am sure I will miss club for a few weeks. My Taylormades are crazy strong. My 5 iron is my new 4 iron, so its one club difference.

 

What I did was, basically created a spreadsheet with my current golf clubs  (lofts and lengths), and distances. Then matched them up with what I have now. Golf clubs are going to have typical gaps. Usually a bit closer gaps near the lower lofted irons, maybe 9-10 yards between the 3 and 4 iron, and 11-12 yards between higher lofted irons. Just how the irons tend to play.

 

The mizuno 4 iron matches up spec for spec with the Taylormade 5 iron. So I know that club will go with in 1 yard of that. So i can gap it pretty close. When i went out last night, I was pretty close. I had to think, Ok my Taylormade was a 7 here, So i probably want a 6 iron. If I am off, I'll adjust.

 

I'm thinking of creating a small cheat sheet to carry around for a while. But my guesses were pretty on last night. Most of the irons are 1 number designation less, 7 iron for taylormade is 6 iron for mizuno, but add a few yards. So its like one number less plus 3 yards.

 

what I need to get now is some new wedges. I got a 6 loft gap between my PW and my 52 degree. I'm thinking of going with Edel wedges ;), though I might buy a mizuno 50 degree as a gap wedge, then get two Edel wedges for around the green.

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting