I'm hoping I could receive some insight about my golf game. I realize without seeing my swing and seeing me play in person that this might be difficult, but I hope my summary can allow some constructive feedback.
Location: Cleveland, OH
Experience: 2 summers of golf play (average 10 rounds per golf season)
Equipment: Top-Flite XL2000 complete set
Average score: Low-Mid 90's
Weaknesses: See below...
Driver = typically ball travels 80% straight then the remaining 20% slices to the right and I'm usually in the rough, in the trees, or worse the other fairway. I drive the ball no more than 250 yards on a good drive. Honestly, I feel the driver I have is too whippy. I recently have been leaving my driver in the bag and using my 3 wood off the tee. This is a steel shaft and I do not slice as often or badly with the stiffer set up, however my distance suffers 20-30 yards.
Irons = I know where I want to place the ball and my distance is spot on, but I usually miss my target right with the occasional left. I will be pin high, but I will be far from the pin or off the green all together, then have to chip on.
Wedges = No backspin whatsoever, so my ball usually runs past the area I would like it to stay. I have adjusted to this by simply aiming before my ideal area and letting the ball roll up to it. I prefer my PW over my SW around the green, just because I hit it better.
Putting = Actually my strong area. I read the greens very well and typically 2 putt, which from where my balls land on the green, is good in my opinion. Usually it will be a long putt to get the ball closer to the hole and then a under 5 footer to sink it.
1) I'm a sweeper. I rarely take divots. When I do it's always before the ball, which I know is not correct
2) I usually make good ball contact, but I will admit...I do occasionally hit the ball fat or thin. Maybe 2-3 times per round, then hit it solidly the next shot to make up for the miss-hit.
3) My father who consistently shoots in the high 70's - low 80's believes my lack of ball control and consistency is from my grip. I'm a right handed golfer and he always comments how my bottom hand looks out of place.
4) My father describes me as a player that plays "bogey golf" meaning I will usually bogey holes with the occasional par and occasional double bogey.
5) I seem to make the game harder on myself than it needs to be. For example, I will drive the ball off the tee into the trees, I will then punch the ball under the trees up to the green, I will chip or pitch on, and then one or two putt for a par/bogey. I always think to myself "If only I drove the ball into the fairway and then hit a solid iron shot, I could birdie or par the hole.
6) I do not practice enough. I need to consistently hit the range and work on ball control.
7) I am beginning to think the clubs I currently have are negatively affecting my game. I am looking to get professionally fitted and purchasing my quality equipment that fits me and my swing. I do not know my numbers regarding swing speed, ball speed, length, loft, lie angle, ideal shaft flex, etc
Overall Goal: Next summer, I want to shoot in the low 80's on a consistent basis. I know I can lower my score significantly if I know where the ball is going when I hit it. Right now, it's a "I hope it doesn't go right" kind of mentality.
Please share your thoughts regarding my game. I appreciate your insight and I will answer any questions you might have.