or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Right elbow at address
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Right elbow at address

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Just wanted to get some opinions on the angle the right elbow should be facing at address. We know that the right arm basically hinges and raises up, and depth is created with the hip turn. So wouldn't it be conducive to keep the underside of the elbow facing outward to promote a hinge motion, instead of facing more towards the left, which I think might promote of a need to rotate the arms first then hinge.

Also if this is true, then isn't a stronger giro, one that helps keeps the right arm facing more away from the body, a better grip to promote an easier backswing.
post #2 of 12
I'm no expert, but I find that I play better when I point the undersides of my elbows away from me and almost away from each other, with the right elbow in pretty much the position you described. I think it helps with my hinge during the backswing and keeps my arms in front of me more in the downswing.
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Just wanted to get some opinions on the angle the right elbow should be facing at address. We know that the right arm basically hinges and raises up, and depth is created with the hip turn. So wouldn't it be conducive to keep the underside of the elbow facing outward to promote a hinge motion, instead of facing more towards the left, which I think might promote of a need to rotate the arms first then hinge.

Also if this is true, then isn't a stronger giro, one that helps keeps the right arm facing more away from the body, a better grip to promote an easier backswing.

 

You're talking about the fleshy part of the elbow right?  A good general measurement for the elbow is for it to be pointing at your right hip.  The placement of the fingers on the grip basically takes care of it, having the grip in the fingers and the first pad of the trigger finger on the aft side of the shaft.  

 

If the elbow is rotated too much, fleshy part facing someone standing in front of you/elbow closer to your belly button, the club could have a tendency to load too far inward and low.  Due to the placement of the right hand and the possible lack of flexion of the right arm.  Might even mess with some of the body alignments at set-up.  Not saying you can't do it, Tim Clark sets up similar to what you're talking about.  But he also has a condition where he can't supinate his forearms (palms facing the sky).  

 

 

 

post #4 of 12

This guy talks about it a lot as his big key. 

 

Playing Lessons: Oosthie on the range 

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

Ok that makes more sense, thanks MVMAC

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
 

This guy talks about it a lot as his big key. 

 

Playing Lessons: Oosthie on the range 

He seems to be saying the opposite of @mvmac , but that is what I do to keep my elbows close together.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

He seems to be saying the opposite of @mvmac , but that is what I do to keep my elbows close together.

 

Feel ain't real.  Right elbow looks like it's pointed at his right hip in the second pic.  Not to throw around too much terminology but I would call the first pic elbow position #1.  That's what I thought saevel was referring to.  Second and third pics are elbow position #2.  The camera also isn't directly in front of him.

 

 

 

Elbow isn't pointing into the body or like I said closer to the belly button, still in position #2.  

 

post #8 of 12

I don't see any disagreement on position at all. Louis says the same thing Mike says, just with a slightly different accent. ;-) You don't want the point of the right elbow rotated too much behind you, relative to the target line.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 

Basically I was asking is if there is any benefit to the 2nd image position, were the elbow is perpendicular to the body. I know it probably shouldn't be there, but I was curious because of how the right arm hinges and raises up, if its beneficial to have it more in that direction, rather than rotated towards the left (lead) arm.

post #10 of 12

Unless you're Tim Clark and can make it work then yes, in my opinion it's generally more beneficial to have it facing more up rather than more rotated toward the left arm.

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Basically I was asking is if there is any benefit to the 2nd image position, were the elbow is perpendicular to the body. I know it probably shouldn't be there, but I was curious because of how the right arm hinges and raises up, if its beneficial to have it more in that direction, rather than rotated towards the left (lead) arm.

 

I like the second pic, like I said, elbow is basically pointing at the right hip.  I would prefer that position over a right arm that looks like the first pic or a right elbow that points away from the body.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
 

Unless you're Tim Clark and can make it work then yes, in my opinion it's generally more beneficial to have it facing more up rather than more rotated toward the left arm.

 

Yeah Clark setups with all the forearm rotation he can and "locks" it in there.  His condition doesn't allow him to rotate the forearms more.  

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

Yep, that's what I got from it as well, thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Right elbow at address