or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

high bounce

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I had my vokey 56* bent to 60* recently. That moved the bounce from 10 to 14. I was told it might be hard to hit because of the unusually high bounce (titleist doesn't even produce a 60* in 14* bounce).

 

But I hit the club incredibly well. I haven't had a bad pitch, chip, or swing with it in the 36 holes i have played with it. It is my favorite club now. 

 

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this..I'm thinking this is all due to my swing or height (I'm 5'5'').

Maybe all my wedges should have 14* of bounce :-D

post #2 of 10

Bounce can certainly be your friend. My 58 degree has 22 degrees of bounce and the way that it is designed it is extremely easy to lay open and play floppy pitches. There are a number of discussions on this site regarding this topic. Look for the ones with @mvmac and @iacas hitting flop shots off a green.

post #3 of 10

My 60 has 14 and it is one of my favorite clubs.

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by THException View Post
 

I had my vokey 56* bent to 60* recently. That moved the bounce from 10 to 14. I was told it might be hard to hit because of the unusually high bounce (titleist doesn't even produce a 60* in 14* bounce).

 

But I hit the club incredibly well. I haven't had a bad pitch, chip, or swing with it in the 36 holes i have played with it. It is my favorite club now. 

 

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this..I'm thinking this is all due to my swing or height (I'm 5'5'').

Maybe all my wedges should have 14* of bounce :-D

 

Yep bounce is your friend. The "harder to hit" advice is wrong.

 

 My Edel Wedges (Or "Super Bounce and Why It's Good For You" or "The Sweet Spot is Finally in the Right Place!") 

post #5 of 10

Wow.  22 degrees of bounce on a soup spoon might work but on a golf club?   And then lay the club face open?  I suspect the ball pops up 2 feet and runs only 1  That's more skill than i have. 

post #6 of 10

Fourteen degrees of bounce is indeed a bit higher than average, but I think the question is how you set up and swing the club and what conditions you play in.  If you hit most of your pitches with a lot for forward shaft lean you are de-lofting and removing some bounce, and if you play on fluffy grass and sand more bounce is your friend.  Bottom line, ultimately, is whether you are happy with the club and it performs for you.  Grats on finding a combo that works for you!

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

Wow.  22 degrees of bounce on a soup spoon might work but on a golf club?   And then lay the club face open?  I suspect the ball pops up 2 feet and runs only 1  That's more skill than i have. 

Not all bounce is created equal.  The sole is can have 22 degrees of bounce, but also has areas milled away or its slopes away differently.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post
 

Fourteen degrees of bounce is indeed a bit higher than average, but I think the question is how you set up and swing the club and what conditions you play in.  If you hit most of your pitches with a lot for forward shaft lean you are de-lofting and removing some bounce, and if you play on fluffy grass and sand more bounce is your friend.  Bottom line, ultimately, is whether you are happy with the club and it performs for you.  Grats on finding a combo that works for you!

 

bounce can be good on hardpan and tight lies as well...

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Not all bounce is created equal.  The sole is can have 22 degrees of bounce, but also has areas milled away or its slopes away differently.

 

Correct, like with the Edel wedges, you have a lot of bounce but the leading edge isn't elevated off the ground.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post
 

 

bounce can be good on hardpan and tight lies as well...

 

Yep....

 

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Correct, like with the Edel wedges, you have a lot of bounce but the leading edge isn't elevated off the ground.

 

 

Well I learned it from you teacher!  :whistle:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting