or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Can We Talk Hybrids Real Quick
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can We Talk Hybrids Real Quick

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 

Question for all the Hybrid experts. I need a club that I can hit in the 180 to 200 yd range plus or minus a couple yards.

 

I'm looking at 2 used clubs. A 19* Taylormade RBZ stage 2 and a Cobra Baffler T-Rail also 19 degrees. Both are about the same price, and I'll be getting a reg flex shaft. So my question is...Is one easier to hit than the other.? 

 

If you were choosing between the 2, which would you buy, and why. Lastly, is there another hybrid you'd recommend..?

 

Thanks.

 

BTW, I've only hit a rescue once, a TM r7..not sure what loft it was.

post #2 of 54

I'm no expert, sorry, but I really like my Exotic Trilogy (20degree) from Tour Edge and this happens to be my 200 yrd club too.

Really easy to hit and to get out from rough so that helps a lot for me.

It's not a major brand like TM but I would recommend it. 

 

Good luck.

post #3 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtapitin View Post
 

I'm no expert, sorry, but I really like my Exotic Trilogy (20degree) from Tour Edge and this happens to be my 200 yrd club too.

Really easy to hit and to get out from rough so that helps a lot for me.

It's not a major brand like TM but I would recommend it. 

 

Good luck.

 

Thanks for the info. I also looked at a Tour Edge, but I thought they were mostly for really good players..?

post #4 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtapitin View Post
 

I'm no expert, sorry, but I really like my Exotic Trilogy (20degree) from Tour Edge and this happens to be my 200 yrd club too.

Really easy to hit and to get out from rough so that helps a lot for me.

It's not a major brand like TM but I would recommend it. 

 

Good luck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy hybrids are FAAAAANTASTIC - very easy to hit,.

By FAR the best I've used and I've used many.

Seriously -------and this goes for their fairway woods too.

I love mine so much I bought a spare. The thought of not having one stressed me out.

post #5 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy hybrids are FAAAAANTASTIC - very easy to hit,.

By FAR the best I've used and I've used many.

Seriously -------and this goes for their fairway woods too.

I love mine so much I bought a spare. The thought of not having one stressed me out.

 

 

Shorty, with your HC, I'm betting any club is Easy for you to hit....:-P  Still, give me more options, and I'll for sure check them out. Thanks.

post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

 

Shorty, with your HC, I'm betting any club is Easy for you to hit....:-P  Still, give me more options, and I'll for sure check them out. Thanks.

No, really, they are incredible.

They are designed to be easy to hit and most have great Tour AD shafts.

post #7 of 54
I'm new to hybrids! ( I've only ever hit one)
But I can also recommend the cleveland classic hybrid! Very easy and nice looking!
Mark crossfield rated it as joint best hybrid of last year!
post #8 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

No, really, they are incredible.

They are designed to be easy to hit and most have great Tour AD shafts.

 

O.k...I'll have a look at em...and hit them. I think Golfsmith carries them.

post #9 of 54

I've got a Baffler Rail 3 wood and I found it easy to hit straight (compared to my other clubs) even as a straight up super beginner. If the hybrids are of similar quality they'll be great.

post #10 of 54

I am a fan of the Ping Hybrids because they are easy to hit and forgiving.  Forgiving is the key phrase.  At least give them a swing.  They just came out with the G30 series which means the G25 stuff is going to go on sale very soon.

post #11 of 54

I have a couple of Callaway Heavenwoods; 3H (20*) and 4H (23*), with the Callaway RCH shaft in stiff. These are available used and inexpensive. I love these clubs. The 3H is about 190-200 +/-, and the 4H about 180-190+/-.

post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post

 

Thanks for the info. I also looked at a Tour Edge, but I thought they were mostly for really good players..?

 

Tour Edge woods and hybrids have three distinct categories:

  • Exotics (two varieties for the better players)
  • XRails (high launch, user-friendly)
  • Bazooka (two economy varieties) 

 

Tour Edge offers good variety in its shafts for XRails and Exotics, so you just have to try out the different models. I tried the XRail hybrids and liked them, but they barely lost out to the Adams V4 model in a demo day showdown. I did end up buying and currently playing the XRail 4W and 7W.

 

Explore TE offerings: http://www.touredge.com/
 

post #13 of 54
Callaway X2 Hot 19* or 22* depending on how much club head speed you have. I would put them up against any hhybrid on the market. They are very forgiving on off center hits and very easy to launch the ball.
post #14 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post
 

 

Tour Edge woods and hybrids have three distinct categories:

  • Exotics (two varieties for the better players)
  • XRails (high launch, user-friendly)
  • Bazooka (two economy varieties) 

 

Tour Edge offers good variety in its shafts for XRails and Exotics, so you just have to try out the different models. I tried the XRail hybrids and liked them, but they barely lost out to the Adams V4 model in a demo day showdown. I did end up buying and currently playing the XRail 4W and 7W.

 

Explore TE offerings: http://www.touredge.com/
 

 

 

Thanks for the link...learn something new everyday.  Thanks for all the replies.

post #15 of 54

I once owned an RBZ Stage 2 -- would avoid it -- shaft is too long, sole is not rounded, and heel to toe is too long.

 

Have always read positive reviews about Cobra Hybrids.

 

___

 

Still, hybrids seem like a very personal choice -- like fairways. Once you find one you like, you stick with it. It took me about 7 years to find a brand I like.

 

I find the Bobby Jones Hybrids easy to hit and a high quality club -- it is a company who markets to the 40+ crowd. It is a well balanced club with a mini-fairway look and cup face technology -- solid yet lively and easy to launch, likes to go straight. Just because I've played all of Jesse Ortiz hybrids for 8 years doesn't mean everyone will like them. All of his designs are evolutionary so they are consistent from new introductions to another (unlike most OEMs).  If interested, see www.bobbyjones.com. I've seen several reviews of his new Black lineup and they are all positive. I play his new lineup and it is a WOW for me.

post #16 of 54

FWIW, I'm a recent convert to hybrids and I'd unreservedly recommend the Titleist 910h. Criminally easy to hit - they should be banned. Not the cheapest but seriously good.

post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post
 

FWIW, I'm a recent convert to hybrids and I'd unreservedly recommend the Titleist 910h. Criminally easy to hit - they should be banned. Not the cheapest but seriously good.

 

I see you say recent convert.  Have you tried many others?  As a whole, I find hybrids much easier to hit than long irons. 

post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

I see you say recent convert.  Have you tried many others?  As a whole, I find hybrids much easier to hit than long irons. 


I tried some older Cleveland hybrids, some Mizuno, some Cobra and some Ping. Didn't like the look of some of them at address (I like a 'classical' look insofar as I can get one) and one or two I simply hit wayyyyy left although struck OK (shaft issues? too much offset?).

I like long irons but after trialling the 19° 910h, it was a no brainer. Unbelievably easy to hit and I can hit a draw (my natural shape) or a fade, as required. Still keep the long irons for practice but they aren't going back in the bag!

The 910h were a bit pricey but I got the 19° new with some pro shop credit at my club that I couldn't think what to do with and the 21°/24° clubs off eBay at about $70 a piece - both in great shape. I may have lucked out with the shaft (Diamana Kai'li 80S) but, TBH, I'm too happy with them to ask questions.

Now, if only I can hit my driver straight(ish).....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Can We Talk Hybrids Real Quick