IGNORED

Beginner from Baton Rouge

AmISayingMeow
Note: This thread is 1863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Howdy my fellow golf fanatics! I was recently introduced to the sport on an invitation by my neighbor to play a 4-man scramble round, and I absolutely loved it, even though I hit grounders most of the morning, haha! SInce then I began my golf research and picked up a used set of Callaway Steelhead X-14 irons, along with a 3-wood and driver. I even took a lesson last week, and my shots on the driving range have been getting better since that. I'm dying to get back on the golf course now for another 18 holes!

Do you guys think the X-14's are a good beginner iron set? If so, how long do you think they'll serve me, assuming I become a regular seasonal golfer? Hell I know they are 19 years old already (but in good shape). I've been tempted to even buy a set of the X-16's with the notch on the heel, mainly because I can get them pretty cheap. If anyone is familiar with the older Steelheads, would that be of any benefit to me at this point? Or should I just play a year or so with the X-14's and then look into upgrading clubs at that point? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to TST.    

You've made a wise choice to take lessons.   The key will be to practice the one or two things your instructor gave you to work on and be patient.   Golf is hard.   Your clubs, as long as they are a good static fit for you, will be just fine for beginning.    

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, AmISayingMeow said:

Howdy my fellow golf fanatics! I was recently introduced to the sport on an invitation by my neighbor to play a 4-man scramble round, and I absolutely loved it, even though I hit grounders most of the morning, haha! SInce then I began my golf research and picked up a used set of Callaway Steelhead X-14 irons, along with a 3-wood and driver. I even took a lesson last week, and my shots on the driving range have been getting better since that. I'm dying to get back on the golf course now for another 18 holes!

Do you guys think the X-14's are a good beginner iron set? If so, how long do you think they'll serve me, assuming I become a regular seasonal golfer? Hell I know they are 19 years old already (but in good shape). I've been tempted to even buy a set of the X-16's with the notch on the heel, mainly because I can get them pretty cheap. If anyone is familiar with the older Steelheads, would that be of any benefit to me at this point? Or should I just play a year or so with the X-14's and then look into upgrading clubs at that point? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to TST and of course...welcome to golf! It’s addicting for sure. The clubs you have are fine for now. And despite what you might think being fitted for clubs isn’t just for low handicappers. If you decide you’re in this for the long haul I recommend you look into a fitting. Cheers!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Welcome to TST! I agree, start with the clubs you have and upgrade later as you may even discover other clubs/brands you may like more as you gain more experience.

I started my  journey with a set for under $100. After I broke 100 I invested in a top-of-the-line fitted set.

Nave

Assuming the X14's fit you they can last a long time in your bag.  I currently use a set of TaylorMade RAC's that have to be at least 15 years old and they work fine.  Once your swing stabilises, look at getting yourself fitted and see if the X14 or X16 set work for you

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

There is nothing wrong with older iron sets...assuming they are in good condition.  It is far better to invest in lessons, and practice, than it is to chase the game through equipment purchases.  While it is intoxicating to imagine that the Holy Grail is out there somewhere...all any of us really need is a travel mug that doesn't leak.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

What shaft flex are your irons?

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

Note: This thread is 1863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!