IGNORED

Joint Aches With New Upgraded Iron Sets

Note: This thread is 1808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Need some wisdom here. I have golfing for 4 years. I started with some use Adams Hybrid irons and drivers. I worked up my game with this iron set until was satisfied with my hitting and driving. This past spring, I took the leap and got fitted for some new irons. Since I was already using a Ping G400 driver for a year, I went with the G400 black dot irons. I was actually fitted for them. Base on my swing which was fast, the rep told me Ping G400 black dot with carbon fiber regular flex shaft.

Ok now here’s issue. I been putting these irons through the pace figuring the yardage on these irons from my 10 year old hybrids. But now my hands and joints are starting to ache. This never happen with my old irons. I figure since I’m hitting new irons and a carbon fiber shaft. Has anyone ever gone through this when upgrading to new irons?? 

• iacas changed the title to Joint Aches With New Upgraded Iron Sets

Welcome to TST.   

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will give you some ideas.   In the mean time, take some motrin.   ;-)

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just switched from steel to graphite shafts, and it has really reduced the strain on my hands and joints. My only problem is adjusting to distance gains.

Carbon fiber shafts are easier on the hands and joints, I don't think that is your problem. Are you hitting more "fat" shots, i.e., taking big divots?

I've played ever type of club out there and nothing ever happened to my hands or joints from switching irons.

Can you talk to a pro at a range to see what is going on?

3 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Carbon fiber shafts are easier on the hands and joints, I don't think that is your problem. Are you hitting more "fat" shots, i.e., taking big divots?

I've played ever type of club out there and nothing ever happened to my hands or joints from switching irons.

Can you talk to a pro at a range to see what is going on?

You know what, your right!! A friend of mine sent me a video from last Friday. And it shows where my left elbow starts to bend instead of staying straight. 

Are you playing/practicing more than usual? Maybe you aren't in 'golf' shape? I experienced something similar after starting back up following shoulder surgery. 

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about aches and pains, I practice yoga to stay in shape but I think I over did it and have developed a shoulder pain in the right shoulder. It only hurts when I lift it straight out to the side and up, impacted my last round, couldn't stop slicing my tee shots. I'm told heat will help but it has been a couple of weeks now. I guess getting old really sucks, (I'm 67). I'll have to figure out something or go see a doc who I know will want an MRI, etc. Does anyone recommend a Chiropractor? I have never been to one.

I'd neveri'd never recommend a chi

47 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Talk about aches and pains, I practice yoga to stay in shape but I think I over did it and have developed a shoulder pain in the right shoulder. It only hurts when I lift it straight out to the side and up, impacted my last round, couldn't stop slicing my tee shots. I'm told heat will help but it has been a couple of weeks now. I guess getting old really sucks, (I'm 67). I'll have to figure out something or go see a doc who I know will want an MRI, etc. Does anyone recommend a Chiropractor? I have never been to one.

I would never recommend a chiropractor, unless I checked out their track record. My first choice would be a real MD, who specializes in orthopedics.

I had a similar pain last year on my right shoulder, neck area. Turned out to be a pinched nerve. Took several weeks of "easy does it" stuff and some meds till I had full movement.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

@Paul86 grips can make a difference. Certain brands can reduce shaft vibration.
Also, cooler weather can cause joint pain during and after rounds.

Thin shots with irons can really sting the fingers, especially in cool temps.
Even damp weather and spring pollen dust / allergies will cause joint pain.

Old sport injuries during cooler temps and damp conditions are also culprits.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

20 hours ago, Patch said:

I'd neveri'd never recommend a chi

I would never recommend a chiropractor, unless I checked out their track record. My first choice would be a real MD, who specializes in orthopedics.

I had a similar pain last year on my right shoulder, neck area. Turned out to be a pinched nerve. Took several weeks of "easy does it" stuff and some meds till I had full movement.

I'll take your advise and go see my MD. I've been taking it easy but the pain is not going away or getting better. Weird, I didn't do anything to injure the shoulder, i.e., didn't lift anything heavy, no car accidents, nothing but "easy" postures in yoga. I modify the postures so as not to move the should to where it hurts. I'll give it another week or so and if no improvement I'll go see the doc. I hope I didn't do anything to the rotator cuff.

If it's your hands that are aching you may want to consider larger grips - if you haven't already. I found that the Golf Pride CP2 Pro in midsize really helped to alleviate most of the pain in my hands when swinging the club. Between that and ibuprofen I'm golfing almost pain free. A great thing for an old geezer like me!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, cooke119 said:

I'll take your advise and go see my MD. I've been taking it easy but the pain is not going away or getting better. Weird, I didn't do anything to injure the shoulder, i.e., didn't lift anything heavy, no car accidents, nothing but "easy" postures in yoga. I modify the postures so as not to move the should to where it hurts. I'll give it another week or so and if no improvement I'll go see the doc. I hope I didn't do anything to the rotator cuff.

Yeah, I didn't do anything to hurt my shoulder. Woke up one morning with a stiff neck. The pain radiated from there to my shoulder, and a ways down my back. 

The pain was so bad, where all I could do was lie flat on my back, or stand up. I couldn't sit down. (I practiced a lot of carpet putting)

After some industrial strength pain meds, and muscle relaxers, for a couple of weeks,  I could sit in a chair/car seat. A few weeks later, I was good to go. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!