IGNORED

Good Score vs Good Swing

criley4way
Note: This thread is 1802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing at golf for years and am trying to break back into the low single digits. I am realizing that I don't score the way I would like. I practice my swing, putting and chipping regularly but feel like I under perform on the course, not taking advantage of my good shots often enough. 

I have a solid swing. On the range my distance control with full shots is good. My putting is technically sound. My Pitching is solid and improving. But I just don't score like I should. 

What has been a breakthrough thought or action for people to get to the <4 hcp level? I want to get to 0 but I'll start chipping away for now.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Good Score vs Good Swing

Fortunately or unfortunately, at this level it is the minor details that matter.  For example, ensuring you never 3 putt.  If you are nGIR, trying to ensure you get up and down.  As a 6 handicap you have the ability to par any hole, though I cannot comment about your length, and specifically if being short leads to difficult longer holes because you are hitting a long club into the green.  I would have to say practice is key here.  Let me suggest you analyse your game properly and work on your weaknesses.  Improving that will help you gain more strokes than working on your strengths.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Well its like you said - converting more of your good shots.  If you knock one inside 10 feet, you got to drop those if you're going to be a 60's shooter. Other than that i would say consistency and being able to get up and down at least half of the time is key. Youre not going to hit every green or every fairway and being able to recover for par drops scores.  I dont make as much birdies as i used to, but i dont make alot of bogeys either. 

A good start may be tracking your stats (if you are not doing that already) to see if there is anything that stands out. Something with strokes gained relative to the handicap you are looking to get to would be ideal.

Edited by JxQx

It's been 5 years since you posted a Game Golf round. I would start tracking your rounds and harvest the cornucopia of information to see where you need to improve.

• Informative 1

- Shane

Lowest Score Wins, if you have that, has a bunch of benchmarks for certain aspects of the game for 70s, 80s, and 90s shooters. That's a good place to start. That will give you an evaluation of where you are vs. where you want to be.

Without knowing much more, it's hard to say otherwise. As a 6.4, your swing is probably pretty good, but not good enough to be scratch. That's probably the biggest piece of what you need to do.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

You likely bleed partial shots all day. IF what you say about your game is true.

Got a copy of LSW?

Beyond that… tee shots. Approach shots that leave birdie putts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's been 5 years since you posted a Game Golf round. I would start tracking your rounds and harvest the cornucopia of information to see where you need to improve.

I have the Arccos system. 

Distance: Dr about 245-60 with minimal variance. Hit about 45% of fairways. most misses just right or left.

Few penalty shots.

Hit about 55% of greens with most misses short.

I am only getting up and down 35%. The place I am currently spending most of my time. 

Putting is fair and getting better. 32 putts per round. Mostly due to poor chips.

I think I am not doing the best job of setting my self up for success and approaching the holes the right way. 

How much value have people gotten from playing lessons?

Thanks for the comments

Chris

Edited by criley4way

Doesn't Arccos have strokes gained or similar stats to look at? That would be the place I would start.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:30 PM, criley4way said:

Distance: Dr about 245-60 with minimal variance. Hit about 45% of fairways. most misses just right or left.

How much value have people gotten from playing lessons?

Chris

If you are missing both ways, is it because you are shaping shots deliberately and just overdoing it, or is it something else.  For example, I either hit a straight shot or a fade as a rule.  Most of my shots left/draw are unintentional

Lessons only have value if you practice the things you learn.  But, a good teacher can make a huge difference to your game

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 1802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!