IGNORED

Advice Needed: Best Used Drivers Under $200

JoshSang14
Note: This thread is 1775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I recently found out about The Sand Trap and am now deciding to post about my current golf situation. Here's an extremely brief summary of my golf game:

I started golfing around 4 years ago (playing 5-7 rounds a year), but have just started to get a lot more serious about the game over the past year (played 27 rounds the past 12 months). As a result, my estimated handicap has gone from 30+ when I first started, to ~11 as of now (working on getting an official handicap). 

The driver I'm currently using is a Taylormade R15 regular flex that my dad gave me 3 yrs ago. Some days I can consistently hit a nice fade with the driver, but most days I am either hooking left or trying to compensate too much and slicing right. In addition, I've noticed that I get way too much spin on my drives, evidenced by the ball flying up way to high and dropping near vertical when it reaches the ground. I can never hit the damn thing consistently. Interestingly enough, I recently demo'd an M6 driver w/ extra stiff shaft while playing 18, and absolutely loved it (hitting slight fades, my natural ball flight). My base specs for driver swing are: ~110mpg swing speed, ~260yd carry. 

Given the above information, what would be the best used driver + shaft flex that I should go with? Obviously if I wanted to spend $500, I would just go with the M6. However, I'm not serious enough of a golfer/play enough to justify dropping that kind of dough on one club. My budget would be under $200 (preferably under $150), and I've been looking at sites such as ebay, 2nd swing, and rock bottom golf. 

My driver is a Cleveland Hi-bore I bought used, and in excellent condition, for 30 bucks.  Prior to that I used a Maltby that I assembled from parts.  Were I in the market for another I would probably build one.  

The best, used, driver is entirely subjective.  Identify (as best you can) what you like and do not like about the R15...and look for an inexpensive club that checks most of the boxes.  You may be pleasantly surprised at how little you have to fork over.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, JoshSang14 said:

Interestingly enough, I recently demo'd an M6 driver w/ extra stiff shaft while playing 18, and absolutely loved it (hitting slight fades, my natural ball flight). My base specs for driver swing are: ~110mpg swing speed, ~260yd carry. 

Given the above information, what would be the best used driver + shaft flex that I should go with? Obviously if I wanted to spend $500, I would just go with the M6. However, I'm not serious enough of a golfer/play enough to justify dropping that kind of dough on one club. My budget would be under $200 (preferably under $150), and I've been looking at sites such as ebay, 2nd swing, and rock bottom golf. 

Do you know the rest of the specs of that M6?  You might be able to find a driver from about 2-3 generations back (which, for TaylorMade, probably means late 2018... I'm kidding, slightly) with those specs that would work for you. 

Alternately, the suggestion above is for a Maltby club;  if you know which specs you want (shaft flex, shaft length, grip size, etc), you can order this -- they'll assemble it fresh for you, just be sure to include the directions when you order it.  I play hybrids from the same line as this driver, but I haven't tried this specific club.

Maltby KE4 ST-2 Driver Pak

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I recommend you go with components from your local golf fitter if you have one near by. A store, like Golf Galaxy. 

You can probably get everything new, built to your specs, for well under $200.00...

The quality will equal that of the major brands too. It's a win win deal. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Advice Needed: Best Used Drivers Under $200

I suggest you first go ahead and get yourself fitted.  Once you know what club specs you need, you can either look for a used driver in your specs, or something from a couple of generations ago.  Those clubs will be cheap enough to fit into your budget.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 1775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!