IGNORED

Portland’s City-Owned Golf Courses Are Essentially Broke, Auditors Find

Note: This thread is 1798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not in Portland, maybe those in the area can add more details to this. 

The courses are “at a crossroads,” the report said, and were kept solvent in 2017 only through an $800,000 taxpayer-funded bailout.

Portland has owned golf courses for more than 100 years and currently owns five courses: Colwood, Eastmoreland, Heron Lakes, Rose City and RedTail Golf Center, though RedTail is located in Beaverton.

PYHOWRSSH5GQHN6BLK44S32AXA.jpg

Swift changes need to be made to keep the courses solvent, auditors said.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is something I should pay attention to at my local course. It's city-owned, so I should be able to see the financials. The city is putting money into their courses, though, so I don't think they are money pits. But I should really get more familiar with this stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Golf courses don’t have to operate at a profit. It’s not like a city park does (always/often).

Ideally though they DO make money.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The city is trying to close an old course in my area because the repairs, and replacements of operating equipment are, or will cost the city too much to keep the course open. That's the official story anyways.

Minimal maintenance (if any) is being done on the course right now, and it looks like hell. Very few golfers are using it last I heard. 

The fact that a developer will build SFRs on it, if, and when the land becomes available, although appealing to the city, they say it's not a determing factor in closing the course. 

The city had some company do a study on how much to raise green fees to keep the course open. They got a quote of $70 a round, minimum. The city says no one will pay that, since there are other, near by courses that charge $25-$35 a round. They are correct in their thinking. 

Problem is this property was deeded to the city several decades ago, with an agreement it stay a public golf course for 99 years. The city at that time agreed, in writing, to that stipulation. 

The issue is now in some court for a judge to determine what to do with the property. 

My guess is the developer will end up with the property. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

If you read down in the article Redtail, Eastmoreland, and Heron Lakes make money.  They're great tracks for muni courses and always pretty busy, so that's not surprising.  They could use a bit more upkeep at times, as one might expect.  Regardless, it sounds like Colwood is the dog, and that's a s***hole, so no surprise there.  I am surprised they left Rose City off the makes money list.  That and Heron Lakes are the best of the lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 1798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!