IGNORED

Establishing Handicap - Holes Not Played or Not Played Under The Rules of Golf

humblepeasant
Note: This thread is 1772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I am in the process of establishing a handicap index (I don't yet have 5 scores). My home course has two holes with the tees moved far forward due to some maintenance...a long par 4 is now a short par 3, and a par 5 is now a short par 4.

I understand for handicap posting purposes, I am to count those holes as not played, and apply par plus.

However, what is par plus for someone without an established handicap? I know for calculating ESC, I am to use the maximum handicap index of 36.4 while establishing a handicap (handicap manual 4-3). However, section 4-2 (holes not played) does not address my problem.

I figure I have 2 options...either use the 36.4, or play the holes as they are and figure my "most likely" score based on how I did. For example, for the long par 4, I think it would most likely take me 2 strokes to get to where the tees are now...so add 2 strokes to that hole? It'd be 1 stroke with the other hole.

I would just like to find the official guideline for this situation, as I have not been able to. 

Thanks!

And, hypothetically, what about par plus for a hole that is skipped entirely?

Edited by humblepeasant
typo

The more I think about it and research, the more "most likely" makes sense to me. And in the case of a par plus for a hole skipped entirely, I guess you could make your best estimate of what you course handicap would be and therefore how many strokes you would get on the hole. 

Just thinking, in theory: if a golfer with the game of a +5.8 handicapper was establishing a handicap for the first time, the handicap would be completely inaccurate if one assumed 36.4 for par plus, etc. I feel like that basically answers my original question...because I think there are only 3 ways to modify a score: par plus, ESC, and "most likely."

I'd still be interested to hear anyone thoughts! I can't imagine most golfers put (waste?) this much thought on something like this, but it's just my personality haha. I'm establishing my handicap for the first time and I want to do it right! 🙂 

• iacas changed the title to Establishing Handicap - Holes Not Played or Not Played Under The Rules of Golf
  • Administrator

It’s really not going to make much of a difference. Once you get a handicap those scores will become a tiny part of your index. Do what makes sense to you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Look at 5.1(g) in the handicap manual.  You can adjust the course rating, and use that as the basis for your differential.  Remember that par has nothing to do with the rating, so the change in par on the hole doesn't matter.

Kudos for wanting to get it right, but @iacas is absolutely right.  In the end, however you score those 2 holes will have almost no affect on your actual index.  I would guesstimate my course handicap and then apply par plus.  

Welcome to TST!   :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Kudos for wanting to get it right, but @iacas is absolutely right.  In the end, however you score those 2 holes will have almost no affect on your actual index.  I would guesstimate my course handicap and then apply par plus.  

Welcome to TST!   :beer:

First, I'll echo the welcome!  :beer:

I'll also echo the recommendation, guestimate your handicap, and then use par plus.  Another option is to ask in the pro shop, they may have already adjusted the slope and CR in accordance with the USGA recommendations, which @jlbos83 mentions in his post up there.  I wouldn't recommend doing the calculation yourself.  A Handicap Committee looking at your scores might wonder what's happening.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 1772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!