Matthew62

My Swing (Matthew62)

9 posts / 1032 viewsLast Reply

Hello all, I have been playing for a few years and have some bad habits. My head is full of videos trying to fix my swing. It’s like I can’t get my hip out of the way which creates a chicken wing. Can somebody please give me some  exercise to break myself of this. Thank you so much in advance!

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

5 hours ago, Matthew62 said:

Hello all, I have been playing for a few years and have some bad habits. My head is full of videos trying to fix my swing. It’s like I can’t get my hip out of the way which creates a chicken wing. Can somebody please give me some  exercise to break myself of this. Thank you so much in advance!video.

Ignore those videos and instead, video your own swing and post it here. Follow this article on how to film. Members will then help guide you.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello all,

I’m new here and was advised by a couple of members to post my swing here. I hope I can get some help, thank you all in advance!

I have been playing about 4 years.

handicap is 25

average score in the 90’s

ball flight not consistent 

shot I hate is chunk or hook to the left.

i use to have a bad slice but it is better.

i’m trying to reduce this darn chicken wing but I can’t get my brain to command my body to do it. If anyone has had victory over this please help.

Thanks again!

IMG_1309.MOV 

IMG_1310.MOV

You have two issues that I would address, one lower body and one upper body. 

I would really focus on your knees first. Right now you can see your left knee move forward while your back knee straightens and basically locks at the start of your swing. Your weight moves forward at the start of your swing and ends up moving backwards through your downswing aka reverse pivot. I would focus on taking that initial knee bend you have in your set up, and work on keeping that same knee flex through the entire swing. Never lock your knees. From there, you should be able to hopefully move your weight back a little at the start and forward on the downswing.

The upper body issue I see isn't a chicken wing, it's a very early release, some would call a cast. The club head has moved past your hands a good 10 inches behind the ball. This will lead to all kinds of fat and thin shots, high ball flight, and a big loss of distance. I would start with working on your chipping. I would be willing to bet that this issue is also present in your chipping movement. Really try practicing hitting your chips where the club head never passes the hands. Keep that left wrist firm and don't let it break down. Once you can do that, try and do the same with a longer pitching movement. Just half swing, but again keep your hands in front of the club head through the entire swing.

Only do this up to a half swing. After that, hopefully the feel will stay with you into your fuller swings. Anything longer than a half swing will require letting the club head eventually move in front of the hands, so you don't hurt yourself, but if you focus on leading with the hands through impact on the shorter swings, it should make the longer swings easier to apply the same idea to.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.