IGNORED

Will Vinyl on Golf Ball Affect Performance?

randybennett23
Note: This thread is 1766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In short, will added vinyl from a cricut machine affect performance (spin, ball speed, accuracy)?

Most people will write on their golf balls with marker for identification. However I am a graphics designer with a love of golf. I want to make my own small custom logos to overlay ontop of the golf ball. The vinyl should conform to the ball and still show the dimples just fine. I am not worried about damage to the vinyl that is irrelevant. Please let me know if there has been any testing done, I do not have a launch monitor to test with and without.

Thanks !

I would think it would. Testing was done years ago by a company which stated "refurbished golf ball when recoated (painted) affected the performance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yes, and it is illegal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know it would make it harder to line up the shot. 

Case in point. When I owned my business, I would treat our employees to a day of 18 hole minature golf, and a luncheon. We gave out putting trophies to the various winners. 

I would putt with a ball painted up to resemble the American flag. I sucked big time using that ball to putt with. I'd go again, using my regular ball, and putt like I really knew what I was doing. Had to figure the difference was the flag paint job.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Will Vinyl on Golf Ball Affect Performance?
17 hours ago, Patch said:

I would putt with a ball painted up to resemble the American flag. I sucked big time using that ball to putt with. I'd go again, using my regular ball, and putt like I really knew what I was doing. Had to figure the difference was the flag paint job.

While I'm not going to discount the possible effect the ball decal had on your putting, simply repeating a putt should yield better results than the first time around because you would have learned something about the putt and adjusted accordingly.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!