Jump to content
IGNORED

Post the score?


ghalfaire
 Share

Note: This thread is 1117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

I has some unexpected spare time a week or so ago and I decided I'd drive to a course I don't play often, but like, to play.  I called and they accepted singles so off I went.  I went as single and was paired up with a twosome.  After 9 holes, the two fellows decided to not play the back 9 as it was very windy and they were not playing well (or maybe they just didn't like me, who knows?).  But I continued on and played 10 and 11 by myself.   When I arrived at the 12th tee, the threesome in front of me waved me up and ask if I'd like to join them.  I did and finished the round playing with them. 

Now the question in my mind is, should I post this round as I played two holes by myself and none of the "witnesses" can attest to the entire round?  Also, if it is legal to post the score, what should be the scores of holes 10 and 11?  Should it be what I actually scored or should I enter a net par since they were not played by the rules, i.e. I was alone? 

I tried to find out what was proper but guess I just don't know where to look.  But, to be  honest, I entered the score and I used my real scores on 10 and 11.  In the scheme of things it won't make a rat's rear end influence on my handicap index, but am curious what the rules say about this or if they address it at all.

Edited by ghalfaire
left out a word
  • Upvote 1

Butch

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I would post the score and use the real scores on 10 and 11.

  • Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:
PXG 0211 (Diamana S+ 60, 10.5°) · PXG 0211 3W and 7W (Diamana S+ 60, 15° and 21°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 irons (Aerotech SteelFiber i95, 4-PW) · Edel Wedges (50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") ·  Titleist Pro-V1 · Leupold GX-3i2 Rangefinder · PURE Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Custom Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, tristanhilton85 said:

I would post the score and use the real scores on 10 and 11.

Me too

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you are technically supposed to post your scores on holes 10 and 11 as par plus whatever handicap strokes you got. Since you cannot record scores playing alone, for handicap purposes, any holes played alone are holes you didn't technically play. So I think you would treat like it you would if you quit after 16 holes and you hadn't played holes 17 and 18.

I quickly looked at handicap manual and didn't find anything exactly on point. But that's how I think you're technically supposed to do it.

  • Like 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Big Bertha V Series (11 degrees) :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

 :snell: MTB-X :aimpoint:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think you are technically supposed to post your scores on holes 10 and 11 as par plus whatever handicap strokes you got. Since you cannot record scores playing alone, for handicap purposes, any holes played alone are holes you didn't technically play. So I think you would treat like it you would if you quit after 16 holes and you hadn't played holes 17 and 18.

I quickly looked at handicap manual and didn't find anything exactly on point. But that's how I think you're technically supposed to do it.

agree completely.  I'll check the manual when I get a chance later, there might be a decision that applies.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks and after some thought I believe I should have posted net par on both 10 and 11.  But it would have been only one stroke difference from my actual score.

Butch

Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

Thanks and after some thought I believe I should have posted net par on both 10 and 11.  But it would have been only one stroke difference from my actual score.

Sometimes common sense should prevail.

You still played those holes under the rules of golf.  I’d still post the actual score...

 

 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This got me curious and below is what I found on the USGA site. 

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=11

 

Q.

  Can a score from a round played alone be posted? Are there any exceptions?

 

 

A.

  Playing an entire round alone/unaccompanied doesn’t meet the definition of "peer review," which is essentially having a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with others and the ability to form a reasonable basis for supporting or disputing a score that has been posted. These scores are unacceptable. 

It’s not considered playing alone when a player is accompanied during the round (e.g., fellow competitor, opponent, caddie, marker for a tournament, friend riding in golf cart). (Note: a player does not need to have a scorecard attested to verify it was an accompanied round.) 

To clarify the exceptions, the player must be accompanied for at least seven holes to have an acceptable nine-hole score to post, or 13 holes for an 18-hole score. (This aligns with the “Scores to Post” procedure, here.) For the few holes played alone, the player would post according to “par plus” any handicap strokes the player may be entitled to receive (e.g., a player with a Course Handicap™ of 18 plays a par 4 alone so the score is “X-5.”). This usually occurs when a player starts or finishes a round alone—e.g., a player joins a group or a player forges ahead solo despite weather/lack of daylight, etc. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, rob0225 said:

This got me curious and below is what I found on the USGA site. 

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=11

 

Q.

  Can a score from a round played alone be posted? Are there any exceptions?

 

 

A.

  Playing an entire round alone/unaccompanied doesn’t meet the definition of "peer review," which is essentially having a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with others and the ability to form a reasonable basis for supporting or disputing a score that has been posted. These scores are unacceptable. 

It’s not considered playing alone when a player is accompanied during the round (e.g., fellow competitor, opponent, caddie, marker for a tournament, friend riding in golf cart). (Note: a player does not need to have a scorecard attested to verify it was an accompanied round.) 

To clarify the exceptions, the player must be accompanied for at least seven holes to have an acceptable nine-hole score to post, or 13 holes for an 18-hole score. (This aligns with the “Scores to Post” procedure, here.) For the few holes played alone, the player would post according to “par plus” any handicap strokes the player may be entitled to receive (e.g., a player with a Course Handicap™ of 18 plays a par 4 alone so the score is “X-5.”). This usually occurs when a player starts or finishes a round alone—e.g., a player joins a group or a player forges ahead solo despite weather/lack of daylight, etc. 

 

Thanks for finding that.  I knew I had read it, but couldn't find it on my own.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

"It’s not considered playing alone when a player is accompanied during the round (e.g., fellow competitor, opponent, caddie, marker for a tournament, friend riding in golf cart)."

 

So this is why I see a lot of single guys playing a solo round while their girlfriend sits in the cart on her cell phone texting friends bored out of her mind.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/4/2019 at 11:56 PM, ghalfaire said:

Thanks and after some thought I believe I should have posted net par on both 10 and 11.  But it would have been only one stroke difference from my actual score.

Assuming that the nett score is one shot better, why would you not post the actual scores? You don't pretend you made a 4 when you actually had a 5 and justify it because of a rule you want to follow that allows you to think you had a better score than you did- or that you are being dishonest if you write 5 when you actually had a 5. Post the actual score you had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Assuming that the nett score is one shot better, why would you not post the actual scores? You don't pretend you made a 4 when you actually had a 5 and justify it because of a rule you want to follow that allows you to think you had a better score than you did- or that you are being dishonest if you write 5 when you actually had a 5. Post the actual score you had.

Again, the rules are there for a reason, and for consistency sake its important to follow the rules.  If we each get to follow only the rules that we want to follow, the system breaks down.  Why post the "par plus handicap score?  For the same reason you hit 3 from the tee after you stripe one OB, instead of just dropping one near the fence and playing your 3rd from there.  Because you're playing by the rules.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • 😄 My breath is smelling better today...
    • YES! authentic caesar dressing is the best.  To me, it's like making authentic carbonara. 
    • Time for the 2023 NCAA football primer! NCAA College Football Coaches Poll | USA Today Sports The USA TODAY Sports football coaches poll is conducted weekly throughout the NCAA college football regular season. See the Top 25 rankings from the head coaches. Latest recruiting rankings... A few more seasons of this, and ND is back!  2023 Recruit Football Team Rankings In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating. Some updated news, UCLA and USC petitioned and were accepted into the Big10. A shrewd move my both teams. I can understand from the Big10 perspective that in the modern era of college football regionality doesn't matter as much as it use to. The Big10 and the Pac12 has always had a tie through the Rose Bowl. Also, if we are heading towards few, and larger, super conferences then the Big10 is solidifying they will be one of them.  The next domino to fall might be Notre Dame to the Big10. ND's primary TV rights is with NBC, which now has succeeded in getting rights to Big10 games. ESPN has been locked out of Big10 games under the new Big10 media rights deal. Right now, ND needs to spend about $100 million to get out of their contract with the ACC. Teams in the Big10 are reported to get like $65+ million per year in their new TV contract. So, I could see ND easily absorbing that amount.  I try not to be such a romantic about things. I do not mind eliminating regionality to college football. With the now every expanding NIL deals for college football players, restructuring makes sense to me. I think the current 120+ schools for D1 football should be split up into the top 40-50 teams who actually want to spend money on football seriously, versus those that don't. They can still have football, and still play the upper devision, but they can have their own championship.  Only 13 teams have won the BCS championship or college football playoff. If you look at the top 40 teams who are willing to spend money on college football, close to half come from two conferences, the Big10 and the SEC. 
    • I almost forgot there was a food thread. Last night's dinner: Pulled chicken Caesar salad. Lots of garlic and anchovy paste in the dressing. The chicken was barbecued so it had a subtle smokey flavor.
    • Driver, 4W (17°), 4H (20°), 5H (23°)
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. alexfisher
      alexfisher
      (43 years old)
    2. Fkstang
      Fkstang
      (53 years old)
    3. marygujjari
      marygujjari
      (30 years old)
    4. RRTXgolfer
      RRTXgolfer
      (78 years old)
    5. Wanzo
      Wanzo
      (43 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...