IGNORED

Post the score?

ghalfaire
Note: This thread is 1743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I has some unexpected spare time a week or so ago and I decided I'd drive to a course I don't play often, but like, to play.  I called and they accepted singles so off I went.  I went as single and was paired up with a twosome.  After 9 holes, the two fellows decided to not play the back 9 as it was very windy and they were not playing well (or maybe they just didn't like me, who knows?).  But I continued on and played 10 and 11 by myself.   When I arrived at the 12th tee, the threesome in front of me waved me up and ask if I'd like to join them.  I did and finished the round playing with them. 

Now the question in my mind is, should I post this round as I played two holes by myself and none of the "witnesses" can attest to the entire round?  Also, if it is legal to post the score, what should be the scores of holes 10 and 11?  Should it be what I actually scored or should I enter a net par since they were not played by the rules, i.e. I was alone? 

I tried to find out what was proper but guess I just don't know where to look.  But, to be  honest, I entered the score and I used my real scores on 10 and 11.  In the scheme of things it won't make a rat's rear end influence on my handicap index, but am curious what the rules say about this or if they address it at all.

Edited by ghalfaire
left out a word
  • Upvote 1

Butch

I would post the score and use the real scores on 10 and 11.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, tristanhilton85 said:

I would post the score and use the real scores on 10 and 11.

Me too

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think you are technically supposed to post your scores on holes 10 and 11 as par plus whatever handicap strokes you got. Since you cannot record scores playing alone, for handicap purposes, any holes played alone are holes you didn't technically play. So I think you would treat like it you would if you quit after 16 holes and you hadn't played holes 17 and 18.

I quickly looked at handicap manual and didn't find anything exactly on point. But that's how I think you're technically supposed to do it.

• Like 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

35 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think you are technically supposed to post your scores on holes 10 and 11 as par plus whatever handicap strokes you got. Since you cannot record scores playing alone, for handicap purposes, any holes played alone are holes you didn't technically play. So I think you would treat like it you would if you quit after 16 holes and you hadn't played holes 17 and 18.

I quickly looked at handicap manual and didn't find anything exactly on point. But that's how I think you're technically supposed to do it.

agree completely.  I'll check the manual when I get a chance later, there might be a decision that applies.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Thanks and after some thought I believe I should have posted net par on both 10 and 11.  But it would have been only one stroke difference from my actual score.

Butch

13 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

Thanks and after some thought I believe I should have posted net par on both 10 and 11.  But it would have been only one stroke difference from my actual score.

Sometimes common sense should prevail.

You still played those holes under the rules of golf.  I’d still post the actual score...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This got me curious and below is what I found on the USGA site. 

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=11

Q.

Can a score from a round played alone be posted? Are there any exceptions?

A.

Playing an entire round alone/unaccompanied doesn’t meet the definition of "peer review," which is essentially having a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with others and the ability to form a reasonable basis for supporting or disputing a score that has been posted. These scores are unacceptable. 

It’s not considered playing alone when a player is accompanied during the round (e.g., fellow competitor, opponent, caddie, marker for a tournament, friend riding in golf cart). (Note: a player does not need to have a scorecard attested to verify it was an accompanied round.) 

To clarify the exceptions, the player must be accompanied for at least seven holes to have an acceptable nine-hole score to post, or 13 holes for an 18-hole score. (This aligns with the “Scores to Post” procedure, here.) For the few holes played alone, the player would post according to “par plus” any handicap strokes the player may be entitled to receive (e.g., a player with a Course Handicap™ of 18 plays a par 4 alone so the score is “X-5.”). This usually occurs when a player starts or finishes a round alone—e.g., a player joins a group or a player forges ahead solo despite weather/lack of daylight, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rob0225 said:

This got me curious and below is what I found on the USGA site. 

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=11

Q.

Can a score from a round played alone be posted? Are there any exceptions?

A.

Playing an entire round alone/unaccompanied doesn’t meet the definition of "peer review," which is essentially having a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with others and the ability to form a reasonable basis for supporting or disputing a score that has been posted. These scores are unacceptable. 

It’s not considered playing alone when a player is accompanied during the round (e.g., fellow competitor, opponent, caddie, marker for a tournament, friend riding in golf cart). (Note: a player does not need to have a scorecard attested to verify it was an accompanied round.) 

To clarify the exceptions, the player must be accompanied for at least seven holes to have an acceptable nine-hole score to post, or 13 holes for an 18-hole score. (This aligns with the “Scores to Post” procedure, here.) For the few holes played alone, the player would post according to “par plus” any handicap strokes the player may be entitled to receive (e.g., a player with a Course Handicap™ of 18 plays a par 4 alone so the score is “X-5.”). This usually occurs when a player starts or finishes a round alone—e.g., a player joins a group or a player forges ahead solo despite weather/lack of daylight, etc. 

Thanks for finding that.  I knew I had read it, but couldn't find it on my own.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• 2 weeks later...

"It’s not considered playing alone when a player is accompanied during the round (e.g., fellow competitor, opponent, caddie, marker for a tournament, friend riding in golf cart)."

So this is why I see a lot of single guys playing a solo round while their girlfriend sits in the cart on her cell phone texting friends bored out of her mind.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 7/4/2019 at 11:56 PM, ghalfaire said:

Assuming that the nett score is one shot better, why would you not post the actual scores? You don't pretend you made a 4 when you actually had a 5 and justify it because of a rule you want to follow that allows you to think you had a better score than you did- or that you are being dishonest if you write 5 when you actually had a 5. Post the actual score you had.

(edited)
1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Assuming that the nett score is one shot better, why would you not post the actual scores? You don't pretend you made a 4 when you actually had a 5 and justify it because of a rule you want to follow that allows you to think you had a better score than you did- or that you are being dishonest if you write 5 when you actually had a 5. Post the actual score you had.

Again, the rules are there for a reason, and for consistency sake its important to follow the rules.  If we each get to follow only the rules that we want to follow, the system breaks down.  Why post the "par plus handicap score?  For the same reason you hit 3 from the tee after you stripe one OB, instead of just dropping one near the fence and playing your 3rd from there.  Because you're playing by the rules.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 1

Dave

Note: This thread is 1743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!