IGNORED

What to Do if the Rules Official Gives a Wrong Ruling?

KrisF
Note: This thread is 1344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know you can ask for a second opinion but what if they still tell you the wrong ruling after the second opinion? 

What happens to the -Rules Official- and the stroke made after the wrong ruling?

• iacas changed the title to What to Do if the Rules Official Gives a Wrong Ruling?
  • Administrator

Do you have a specific example?

Because the answer depends on a lot of things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you have a specific example?

Because the answer depends on a lot of things.

For instance, Ball lands in bunker and the ball is touching what is an obvious stone. Rules Official tells you to move the stone and its moved without penalty according to the "Official" . Note: Local Rule says its not a movable obstruction and Rule 23-1 clearly states it is not to be moved.

Edited by KrisF

I’m not going to be answering the actual question, because the RO was correct.  Unless the stone was embedded in the bunker, it’s a loose impediment (not an immovable obstruction) and by rule may be removed.  

Additionally, a local rule may not contradict the rules of golf, which that one, at least as you explain it, appears to do.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)
14 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I’m not going to be answering the actual question, because the RO was correct.  Unless the stone was embedded in the bunker, it’s a loose impediment (not an immovable obstruction) and by rule may be removed.  

Additionally, a local rule may not contradict the rules of golf, which that one, at least as you explain it, appears to do.

What I meant say was stone was "embedded" and touching the golf ball and the same hazard.

Edited by KrisF

3 hours ago, KrisF said:

What I meant say was stone was "embedded" and touching the golf ball and the same hazard.

In who's view was it embedded? Was it solidly embedded? The referee may well have determined it was not.

Rule 23-1 no longer exists of course.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Rulesman said:

In who's view was it embedded? Was it solidly embedded? The referee may well have determined it was not. 

Rule 23-1 no longer exists of course.

Gallery view and Golfers view.  And you could see it pretty obviously solidly embedded.  This in the case of when rule 23-1 existed. And after the stroke was made it was obvious that the stone was hit but the Rules Official did not see this after the stroke...

Edited by KrisF

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, KrisF said:

Gallery view and Golfers view.  And you could see it pretty obviously solidly embedded.  This in the case of when rule 23-1 existed. And after the stroke was made it was obvious that the stone was hit but the Rules Official did not see this after the stroke...

You'd be better off proposing both a clearer situation and one that exists under the current Rules of Golf.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You'd be better off proposing both a clearer situation and one that exists under the current Rules of Golf.

Alright so, Rules Official tells you that you grounded your club out of an unmarked bunker and that you incur a penalty, yet it wasn't unmarked and not a Bunker just simply dirt.

What happens to the stroke made and the Official?

• Administrator
Just now, KrisF said:

Alright so, Rules Official tells you that you grounded your club out of an unmarked bunker and that you incur a penalty, yet it wasn't unmarked and not a Bunker just simply dirt.

What happens to the stroke made and the Official?

Still not a good example.

Bunkers don't need to be "marked." Plus, why would grounding your club "out of" the bunker be a problem?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Still not a good example.

Bunkers don't need to be "marked." Plus, why would grounding your club "out of" the bunker be a problem?

Ball lands on someones foot, you are suppose to take relief yet the Official says play the ball where it lies. Whats happens to the stroke made?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, KrisF said:

Ball lands on someones foot, you are suppose to take relief yet the Official says play the ball where it lies. Whats happens to the stroke made?

I'm out. The person's not just going to stand there while you play a shot off their foot.

Nor is any Rules Official going to say that, nor is any player going to play that shot off someone's foot.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I'm out. The person's not just going to stand there while you play a shot off their foot.

Nor is any Rules Official going to say that, nor is any player going to play that shot off someone's foot.

Well crazy things do happen...

KrisF, reality is your friend. Reductio is not.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

1 hour ago, KrisF said:

Maybe if you're filming a movie with Richard Kiel.  Anyone who gets to be a rules official knows full well this isn't a situation where you don't play it as it lies. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

8 hours ago, KrisF said:

Well crazy things do happen...

Not crazy an could happen.

Players ball is just in a No Play Zone but because the marking is not clear he calls a referee. The referee tells him it's OK and he can play it. So he does. The referee checks the markings again and realises the ball was in the NPZ.

The referee should apologise to the player and tell him he is not penalised.  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:06 PM, KrisF said:

Someone just watched Happy Gilmore.

I believe its the players responsibility to know the rules. So if an official makes a mistake and the player posts a wrong score because of it, I think the player will be assessed the penalty when the mistake is discovered.

Nothing I can point to here, just my understanding of the situation.

Note: This thread is 1344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!