Jump to content
KrisF

Good or Bad if Competitive Scores are Dropping?

55 posts / 1817 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, KrisF said:

Like I said im not effing trolling, and yes I probably do need help

What are you trying to achieve?

Do you need confirmation that low scores are better than high scores?

That a series of scores gradually becoming lower probably indicate improvement?

Rather than being obnoxious, spell out what you are really wanting to find out. It's like your polls - what, specifically are you trying to establish?

Explain what you want to know and why, then perhaps people can assist you. Getting your back up is not the way to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

2 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

What are you trying to achieve?

Do you need confirmation that low scores are better than high scores?

That a series of scores gradually becoming lower probably indicate improvement?

Rather than being obnoxious, spell out what you are really wanting to find out. It's like your polls - what, specifically are you trying to establish?

Explain what you want to know and why, then perhaps people can assist you. Getting your back up is not the way to do it.

Okay, So does gradual improvement indicate future major improvement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KrisF said:

Okay, So does gradual improvement indicate future major improvement?

No. The past is not predictive.

And that’s not what you asked.

Again, you asked if decreasing scores could be a “bad sign.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, KrisF said:

Okay, So does gradual improvement indicate future major improvement?

No. But it's all that most people can hope for. The fact of the matter is that the majority of golfers reach their potential within a few years of starting. They don't progress, but they consolidate.

That is not to say that further improvement is not possible, but it has to be achieved with a serious plan. and most are not physically capable of getting beyond a certain point.

The majority of really good players - say those with handicaps in the plus range and pretty much every famous player, would have been a VERY low marker within a couple of years of beginning if they started at 13 and if they started at 6 they would have progressed really rapidly once they hit puberty and became stronger. It is not common for someone to play regularly all the way through their teens and then go from 13 to scratch in their early 20s. A person who is a 15 handicap at age 17 and started at age 13 will very likely be a mid-teen handicapper for their whole golfing life.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. The past is not predictive.

And that’s not what you asked.

Again, you asked if decreasing scores could be a “bad sign.”

 

 

1 minute ago, leftybutnotPM said:

No. But it's all that most people can hope for. The fact of the matter is that the majority of golfers reach their potential within a few years of starting. They don't progress, but they consolidate.

That is not to say that further impovement is not possible, but it has to be achieved with a serious plan. 

The majority of really good players - say those with handicaps in the plus range and pretty much every famous player, would have been a VERY low marker within a couple of years of beginning if they started at 13 and if they started at 6 they would have progressed really rapidly once they hit puberty and became stronger. It is not common for someone to play regularly all the way through their teens and then go from 13 to scratch in their early 20s. A person who is a 15 handicap at age 17 and started at age 13 will very likely be a mid-teen handicapper for their whole golfing life.

But could it be a Bad as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, leftybutnotPM said:

Improvement is never bad. Why would it be?

But could one look at it and say I have no hope because of how slow its taking for them to decrease there score?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KrisF said:

But could one look at it and say I have no hope because of how slow its taking for them to decrease there score?

You didn’t even give a time frame in the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go and look up Karl Vilips on Youtube and watch how he hits the ball. Ask yourself if you think you have the ability to hit the ball the way he does. Ask yourself if there are seriously any similarities between the way he drives the ball and the way you do. Then compare ages. Chances are that like most of us, you will never be as good as you would like to be, but golf is not easy. If it was we'd all be making millions.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Start a topic about basic handicap stuff. This one is pointless.

Just end it.

4 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Go and look up Karl Vilips on Youtube and watch how he hits the ball. Ask yourself if you think you have the ability to hit the ball the way he does. Ask yourself if there are seriously any similarities between the way he drives the ball and the way you do. Then compare ages. Chances are that like most of us, you will never be as good as you would like to be, but golf is not easy. If it was we'd all be making millions.

Thank you for your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KrisF said:

But could one look at it and say I have no hope because of how slow its taking for them to decrease there score?

Of course, but.......

There is not enough info to assess the situation. And when we ask to make things more clear you say ‘no, I don’t want to give the full picture’. Its pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Assuming all other things being equal (same course, similar conditions, etc.) your scores trending down would indicate improvement. If you are scoring lower on easier courses, then that may not be the case. This is what a handicap does. I will post an example in your other thread about how handicaps work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, KrisF said:

But could one look at it and say I have no hope because of how slow its taking for them to decrease there score?

If I'm reading this right, you're asking if it's bad that your scoring in tournaments isn't improving as much as you hoped it would, thus indicating you have "no hope" (in what, you didn't specify). That was what you meant by your original post?

Nobody understands you because you're vague, intentionally withholding information, or not very good at articulating your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, billchao said:

If I'm reading this right, you're asking if it's bad that your scoring in tournaments isn't improving as much as you hoped it would, thus indicating you have "no hope" (in what, you didn't specify). That was what you meant by your original post?

Nobody understands you because you're vague, intentionally withholding information, or not very good at articulating your thoughts.

 

9 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Of course, but.......

There is not enough info to assess the situation. And when we ask to make things more clear you say ‘no, I don’t want to give the full picture’. Its pointless.

I will make sure I give the full picture next time and put more thought into my topics...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your scores during your competitive rounds trending down may just be due to you become more comfortable playing competitive golf, that may not translate at all into your non competitive rounds. If you are looking to improve more quickly you can increase your practice time, get lessons, and play more competitive rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, KrisF said:

I will make sure I give the full picture next time and put more thought into my topics...

Generally it's a good idea to be clear in what you're asking to avoid confusion and misunderstanding in communication.

You didn't answer my question so I still have no idea what you're talking about here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, billchao said:

If I'm reading this right, you're asking if it's bad that your scoring in tournaments isn't improving as much as you hoped it would, thus indicating you have "no hope" (in what, you didn't specify). That was what you meant by your original post?

Nobody understands you because you're vague, intentionally withholding information, or not very good at articulating your thoughts.

Yes and Yes.

21 minutes ago, billchao said:

Generally it's a good idea to be clear in what you're asking to avoid confusion and misunderstanding in communication.

You didn't answer my question so I still have no idea what you're talking about here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • That may be true, but the average amateur is unlikely to be better than 45% from a 140 yards.  And the pro can probably hit the same club or at worst one iron longer from the 200 yards in.  Most amateurs are hitting like an 8 iron or so from 140 and the pro can probably manage with a 7 iron from 200.  The pro is definitely better with a 7 iron than an amateur with an 8 iron. The reason the pro is better from 140 than 200 is probably because they are hitting a PW rather than say a 7 iron
    • You see this in other sports.   Anybody can coach great talent but it takes a good coach to get the best out of each and every player.
    • I may be a bit unfair to these coaches so I’ll admit that up front. But what I tend to believe is that many of these coaches that ‘got their name in the lights’ really lucked into it for the most part. They’ve taught hundreds of people before and nobody knew who they were. Now that definitely doesn’t define their level of quality. Not at all. But when a coach happens to score a player who is super talented and has the ‘it’ factor I can’t help believe that player was going to make waves regardless of his coach. Hank Haney got the majority of his notoriety from coaching Tiger. So did Sean Foley as did McCormick from Spieth. From the years of being on this thread I firmly believe Erik is every bit as good and better (Hank Haney) than these guys. I will agree that McCormick is a good coach as I’ve been told this by respectable people who are in the know. I just don’t think he’s anything so special that Spieth needs to remain with him.  At least not now. He needs renovation, not tweaking. I’d never heard of him before Spieth came to the stage and now he’s on commercials and pumps out dvd’s as an all time best instructor.  I think the talent of these golfers played a much bigger role in their success than the coaching they received from these guys. Just my opinion.
    • You know what I'm talking about.  That hole that eats your lunch every time you face it.  It may not even be a tough hole, but for some reason you can't seem to score well.   Mine is the opening hole on the Gold Course at Martin County Golf and Country Club.  It's a long par 5 dogleg left.  There's water halfway down, huge greenside bunkers, and several well-placed trees to punish any attempt at cutting the corner off the tee.  The rough slopes away steeply the whole way down the right side, often kicking your ball into the woods.  A bogey is my standard score.  I feel like I'm automatically going to be down a stroke right out of the gate. I've been playing that course since I was 12.  I'm 42 now.  Today, I reached the green in two for the first time in my life, then made birdie.  I couldn't believe it! Below are some short vids of me on my way to finally conquering this beast.  I'd love to hear about your trials with your nemesis hole.   And then the 3-wood, high draw to the green:    
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 3PuttsAsUsual
      3PuttsAsUsual
      (48 years old)
    2. Big_in_Belgium
      Big_in_Belgium
      (40 years old)
    3. Finman
      Finman
      (26 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...