IGNORED

7 Fairway Metal

Note: This thread is 1638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a 4 fairway metal 17* and then a 3 hybrid 21* I’m thinking of buying a 7 fairway metal 21* to replace the 3 hybrid. I also have 4 & 5 hybrids. All my clubs are -1.00. I am thinking that I will gain distance due to the little added length and the increase size of the club head. Is the change worth it?

46 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

I have a 4 fairway metal 17* and then a 3 hybrid 21* I’m thinking of buying a 7 fairway metal 21* to replace the 3 hybrid. I also have 4 & 5 hybrids. All my clubs are -1.00. I am thinking that I will gain distance due to the little added length and the increase size of the club head. Is the change worth it?

Well that’s backwards to what’s more common these days even on tour. FWs are being replaced by hybrids. But to each his own. You should hit one and see what you come up with. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It all depends on the yardage gaps with your current clubs and whether the new club will help that.

WRT to hybrid vs fairway wood vs long iron, it all depends on your game and swing.  All might achieve similar distances but depends on how you can hit them.

As suggested by @Vinskearlier, hit all the options you want and then decide.  Don't look at length only.  Accuracy and grouping also matters

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Lofted fairway woods are usually going to be more forgiving than lower lofted hybrids and this is even more likely to be the case if your swing speed is on the slower side.

I have courses that I play where the 3H doesn’t clear the water, and my 4 fairway metal is too much. I though a 7 fairway metal would be the perfect club. I would remove the 3H and replace it with the 7 fairway.

I also have a 4H and 5H. I would like to hit the 7 Fairway metal, but it is on the net.

7Ws will enhance anyone's game. I carry one and wouldn't give it up for anything....golf related. 

I hit mine as far, if not farther than my 2h I carry in another bag. More accurate with th 7W too. 

The OP should hit everything, that relates to his issue. That said, if it were me, knowing what I know, I would just get the 7W anyways. It will always fit nicely in the golfer's bag. 

Just remember to get the correct shaft for the swing involved. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Count me as a 7W devotee. I have a fairly slow swing speed (80-85 mph) and have found the 7W gives me a better ball flight and control/contact as compared to my 2 / 3 hybrids. I think each golfer is probably different on this issue - some will like 7W more, others will hit the hybrids better. Find what works best for you and tune out the background noise.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

(edited)

I bought a Titleist 915F 21* with a -1.00 senior flex shaft. The club is brand new and never played. I am hoping to replace my Callaway Diablo 3H 21* -1.00 and gain ten yards. The courses that I play all seem to have par 3’s where the carry is a little longer than I can hit the 3H. My next club is a Ping G15F four metal which is too long to accomplish this.

Edited by CharlieB

I have a 22* 7 wood that I am still trying to figure out. It has a higher ball flight than my 3 ironwood, so there are instances when it is a better option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 8:54 AM, Adam C said:

Lofted fairway woods are usually going to be more forgiving than lower lofted hybrids and this is even more likely to be the case if your swing speed is on the slower side.

I've played some sort of 4W + 7W combo since 2012. Not only accurate off fairway, but 7W better out of rough than lower-lofted hybrid, and it can be used off tee on tight holes.

Also, these PGA Tour golfers play a 7W:

• Jason Dufner carries a 21° Titleist 915F
  • Keith Mitchell carries a 21° Titleist TS2.
  • Scott Stallings carries a 21° Titleist 917F2.

In a September Golf Digest article, Stallings says the 7W is a lot more versatile than a driving iron or a crossover.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

7 wood and 9 wood firmly in the bag here, both callaway steelhead xr, nice high and straight with soft landing for me, never found a hybrid that I liked.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:17 PM, WUTiger said:

Also, these PGA Tour golfers play a 7W:

I think I remember seeing Tommy Fleetwood hit a 7W this season as well in the Zurich Classic.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!