IGNORED

The Only Time I've Ever Voluntarily Quit a Round (Disturbing)

LightsOut
Note: This thread is 1621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played my local course yesterday.  It borders a small airport where they were practicing for an air show this weekend.  After putting out on the third hole,  a Grumman OV-1 Mohawk nosedived into the earth about a 9-iron away right in front of me. Pilot obviously had no chance for survival. Footage submitted to and used by local news stations.  I did not finish the round.

Grumman A8 Mohawk.jpg

In the Bag:

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, Adams Golf 54 and 60 Wedges, Wilson SW, Ray Cook putter.

• iacas changed the title to The Only Time I've Ever Voluntarily Quit a Round (Disturbing)
  • Administrator

He couldn't eject or get out?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

He couldn't eject or get out?

No way.  He was flying low and slow, then made a steeply banked turn.  Lost lift and just wheeled over into nosedive. 

In the Bag:

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, Adams Golf 54 and 60 Wedges, Wilson SW, Ray Cook putter.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LightsOut said:

No way.  He was flying low and slow, then made a steeply banked turn.  Lost lift and just wheeled over into nosedive. 

Oh. 😞

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Amazing how little wreckage there was for such a sizeable plane.

stuart-air-show-plane-crash-martin-county-sherriffs-office-5.jpg

In the Bag:

17 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

Sadly, it’s a relatively common accident at air shows.  I witnessed one first hand many years ago at the EAA air show in Oshkosh.

99% probability of pilot error... 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Sadly, it’s a relatively common accident at air shows.  I witnessed one first hand many years ago at the EAA air show in Oshkosh.

99% probability of pilot error... 

You're absolutely right.  I knew it was just a matter of time at this one. Just didn't think I'd witness it so intimately.  This particular maneuver has caused many crashes.  Remember the infamous B-52 air show crash?  Same thing.  Too low and slow to be making a steep bank turn.  Loss of lift, nose-over, and they're down.  A c-130 also crashed at an air show in that manner.  You'd think pilots would know better.

In the Bag:

1 minute ago, LightsOut said:

You're absolutely right.  I knew it was just a matter of time at this one. Just didn't think I'd witness it so intimately.  This particular maneuver has caused many crashes.  Remember the infamous B-52 air show crash?  Same thing.  Too low and slow to be making a steep bank turn.  Loss of lift, nose-over, and they're down.  A c-130 also crashed at an air show in that manner.  You'd think pilots would know better.

They do.  However...

In David's bag....

So sad. Really a shame...I just don’t see the point of doing such dangerous maneuvers for an air show. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Why would you quit because of that? 🤷‍♂️

Gotta admit, that was my first thought too.

Tragic, sure, but ultimately it doesn’t affect me.  Certainly not enough for me to change my plans for the day.  

15 hours ago, Vinsk said:

So sad. Really a shame...I just don’t see the point of doing such dangerous maneuvers for an air show. 

Because the whole point of the airshow is to show off/showcase the airplanes, both static displays and in flight.  That’s often much better done by flying by slowly, at low altitude, so that spectators can see and appreciate them.  Admittedly, it’s a very dangerous flight profile unforgiving of any lapse...

In David's bag....

I don't know, something about watching someone's life cease to exist in an instant makes you lose focus a little.  Plus, being as how I was right at the scene seconds after it happened, I knew it would be prudent to get the footage uploaded and distributed to the news outlets.  That takes some time and I had other things to do after that.

Here's footage of the impact:

In the Bag:

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

so that spectators can see and appreciate them.

That’s my point...is this really necessary? We can see and appreciate the plane sitting still and allowing us to get up close, touch it. Then watch it take off. It’s pointless showboating is what it is. Shame. Stop the high risk moves for entertainment or be done with them altogether imo.

1 hour ago, LightsOut said:

I don't know, something about watching someone's life cease to exist in an instant makes you lose focus a little.  Plus, being as how I was right at the scene seconds after it happened, I knew it would be prudent to get the footage uploaded and distributed to the news outlets.  That takes some time and I had other things to do after that.

Here's footage of the impact:

I don’t know anything about flying but it sure seems like he could’ve ejected. No?

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t know anything about flying but it sure seems like he could’ve ejected. No?

Not all planes have ejection seats and if the angle of decent is so steep, ejection would be irrelevant. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’m a pilot.

No.  Although this aircraft has ejection seats, the type of stall described wouldn’t allow for their use…

In David's bag....

Just now, David in FL said:

I’m a pilot.

No.  Although this aircraft has ejection seats, the type of stall described wouldn’t allow for their use…

From the clip...do you think he knew it was over at that moment? That’s the haunting part to me...just awful.

Note: This thread is 1621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!