LightsOut

The Only Time I've Ever Voluntarily Quit a Round (Disturbing)

31 posts / 1782 viewsLast Reply

Played my local course yesterday.  It borders a small airport where they were practicing for an air show this weekend.  After putting out on the third hole,  a Grumman OV-1 Mohawk nosedived into the earth about a 9-iron away right in front of me. Pilot obviously had no chance for survival. Footage submitted to and used by local news stations.  I did not finish the round.

Grumman A8 Mohawk.jpg

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 minute ago, iacas said:

He couldn't eject or get out?

No way.  He was flying low and slow, then made a steeply banked turn.  Lost lift and just wheeled over into nosedive. 

1 minute ago, LightsOut said:

No way.  He was flying low and slow, then made a steeply banked turn.  Lost lift and just wheeled over into nosedive. 

Oh. 😞

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Amazing how little wreckage there was for such a sizeable plane.

stuart-air-show-plane-crash-martin-county-sherriffs-office-5.jpg

17 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

Sadly, it’s a relatively common accident at air shows.  I witnessed one first hand many years ago at the EAA air show in Oshkosh.

99% probability of pilot error... 

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Sadly, it’s a relatively common accident at air shows.  I witnessed one first hand many years ago at the EAA air show in Oshkosh.

99% probability of pilot error... 

You're absolutely right.  I knew it was just a matter of time at this one. Just didn't think I'd witness it so intimately.  This particular maneuver has caused many crashes.  Remember the infamous B-52 air show crash?  Same thing.  Too low and slow to be making a steep bank turn.  Loss of lift, nose-over, and they're down.  A c-130 also crashed at an air show in that manner.  You'd think pilots would know better.

1 minute ago, LightsOut said:

You're absolutely right.  I knew it was just a matter of time at this one. Just didn't think I'd witness it so intimately.  This particular maneuver has caused many crashes.  Remember the infamous B-52 air show crash?  Same thing.  Too low and slow to be making a steep bank turn.  Loss of lift, nose-over, and they're down.  A c-130 also crashed at an air show in that manner.  You'd think pilots would know better.

They do.  However...

There is a big airshow that goes over our golf course here in Dayton. They had a fatality a few years ago.

Couldn't imagine seeing it so close though.

So sad. Really a shame...I just don’t see the point of doing such dangerous maneuvers for an air show. 

Why would you quit because of that? 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Why would you quit because of that? 🤷‍♂️

Gotta admit, that was my first thought too.

Tragic, sure, but ultimately it doesn’t affect me.  Certainly not enough for me to change my plans for the day.  

15 hours ago, Vinsk said:

So sad. Really a shame...I just don’t see the point of doing such dangerous maneuvers for an air show. 

Because the whole point of the airshow is to show off/showcase the airplanes, both static displays and in flight.  That’s often much better done by flying by slowly, at low altitude, so that spectators can see and appreciate them.  Admittedly, it’s a very dangerous flight profile unforgiving of any lapse...

I don't know, something about watching someone's life cease to exist in an instant makes you lose focus a little.  Plus, being as how I was right at the scene seconds after it happened, I knew it would be prudent to get the footage uploaded and distributed to the news outlets.  That takes some time and I had other things to do after that.

Here's footage of the impact:

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

so that spectators can see and appreciate them.

That’s my point...is this really necessary? We can see and appreciate the plane sitting still and allowing us to get up close, touch it. Then watch it take off. It’s pointless showboating is what it is. Shame. Stop the high risk moves for entertainment or be done with them altogether imo.

1 hour ago, LightsOut said:

I don't know, something about watching someone's life cease to exist in an instant makes you lose focus a little.  Plus, being as how I was right at the scene seconds after it happened, I knew it would be prudent to get the footage uploaded and distributed to the news outlets.  That takes some time and I had other things to do after that.

Here's footage of the impact:

I don’t know anything about flying but it sure seems like he could’ve ejected. No?

Edited by Vinsk

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t know anything about flying but it sure seems like he could’ve ejected. No?

Not all planes have ejection seats and if the angle of decent is so steep, ejection would be irrelevant. 

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’m a pilot.

No.  Although this aircraft has ejection seats, the type of stall described wouldn’t allow for their use…

Just now, David in FL said:

I’m a pilot.

No.  Although this aircraft has ejection seats, the type of stall described wouldn’t allow for their use…

From the clip...do you think he knew it was over at that moment? That’s the haunting part to me...just awful.