cnl390

G410 Plus Movable Weights

19 posts / 1410 viewsLast Reply

I have my G410 Plus weight set to the Draw position, but still struggle with a slice.  Would it help if I went to a heavier weight?.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

4 hours ago, cnl390 said:

I have my G410 Plus weight set to the Draw position, but still struggle with a slice.  Would it help if I went to a heavier weight?.

How will shaft weight affect curvature of the golf ball?  You need to look at strike location and face to path.  Strike the ball better and work on the relationship between where the face is pointing at impact and the path in which you are swinging.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, cnl390 said:

There are certain golfers who may see a difference in path from changes in the swing weight, or total weight of a club. Sometimes a lighter or heavier club may help the golfer move the club into the correct position.

If you have the heavier weights, I say give it a try. No loss if it doesn't work.

3 hours ago, Adam C said:

There are certain golfers who may see a difference in path from changes in the swing weight, or total weight of a club. Sometimes a lighter or heavier club may help the golfer move the club into the correct position.

If you have the heavier weights, I say give it a try. No loss if it doesn't work.

I doubt a golfer could tell much of a difference in a blind test.  Those weights are mere grams.  And at a higher handicap like the OP, such golfers rarely have great strike point awareness, much less sensitivity to a tiny weight in the head.  This is either 1) striking issue, 2) face to path issue, or 3) both.

Edited by ncates00

Were you able to hit straighter before? If so, first thing I will check is your grip and setup instead of changing equipment. You don’t have to be off by much to create a slice/hook.

48 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I doubt a golfer could tell much of a difference in a blind test.  Those weights are mere grams.  And at a higher handicap like the OP, such golfers rarely have great strike point awareness, much less sensitivity to a tiny weight in the head.  This is either 1) striking issue, 2) face to path issue, or 3) both.

I absolutely could. A couple of grams in the head moves the swing weight scale a full point, IIRC.

55 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

A bit off topic, but a parallel. Tonight I picked up a cue of a guy on my pool team. It immediately felt heavy to me and I mentioned it to him, asking the weight. He said that it was 19.4 oz. My normal playing cue is 19.2 oz. If he would have told me that it was 21 oz I would have believed him, because to me those .2 oz felt like 3 full ounces. If you are familiar with your equipment and it changes, you will notice it.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

One doesn’t necessarily have to sense or feel a difference in a club be it weight or length for it to make a difference. 

Nonetheless, @iacas, @Bonvivant, and @Vinsk, adding weight to a clubhead isn't going to take a higher handicap golfer that struggles with a slice, like the OP, and turn it into a draw.  I don't care what you do to the club; it's YOU.

9 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Nonetheless, @iacas, @Bonvivant, and @Vinsk, adding weight to a clubhead isn't going to take a higher handicap golfer that struggles with a slice, like the OP, and turn it into a draw.  I don't care what you do to the club; it's YOU.

We didn’t say it would. @iacas was just commenting that he could detect a swing weight manipulation despite it only being ‘grams.’  I agree with you, but it’s possible a change in the club may at least help him get to a better position/path. That’s why we have club fittings along with instruction.

Edited by Vinsk

17 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

@ncates00, you'll note that I said basically the same exact thing with the second post in this topic.

I disagreed with your statement that nobody would feel a few grams.

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

@ncates00, you'll note that I said basically the same exact thing with the second post in this topic.

I disagreed with your statement that nobody would feel a few grams.

@Vinsk also, Fair point.  However, also note that I didn't say nobody would feel the difference.  I said high handicappers, like the OP, can't even feel strike, much less the weight change.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I suppose people can feel it. 

I still question the de minimus weight change materially affecting strike and/or face to path though.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

However, also note that I didn't say nobody would feel the difference.  I said high handicappers…

You said “a golfer” with no other qualifiers. Had you said high handicappers I wouldn’t have replied.

Let’s move on now.

Take a few lessons.  I spent years slicing.  Many years.  A few lessons, and really not that much practice, and the slice is pretty rare.  I can still hit one now and then, but it isn't the most likely goof.  (I have plenty of others!)  I don't think what I changed really matters, since it could be different for everyone, but it's the swing, not the club!  The weights in the club might be able to move you between a little bit or a draw to a little fade, but the banana?  I don't think it fixes that.

At risk of getting beat down by the more knowledgeable folks here on the forum, I'll throw my 2 cents at this. 

I don't find that movable weights (left to right) help me very much. Front to back can make a spin difference for me, but that's off topic. What I find is that if a driver is built flatter I tend to fade it a little more. A driver that's built more upright, I will tend to draw a bit more. As a matter of fact, that's how I try to control my driver. If I want to hit a draw (or more of a draw) I will try to swing flatter, sometime even going as far as to get further from the ball and/or spread my feet wider. (Essentially, lower the handle.) If I want to hit a fade (or less of a draw) I will try to stand a bit more upright. Again, sometimes even going as far as to move my feet closer together and get closer to the ball. (Essentially, raising the handle.)

I should mention that these adjustments I make are pretty slight. But it seems to work pretty well for me. So, either my method is actually technically sound, or I'm doing something else in my swing and it just so happens that what ever else I'm doing tends to make it work out.

IMO movable weights are over-rated in terms of helping with a draw or a fade. At least for me. I just find moving the weights around in the driver head makes it "feel" "weird". 

Go out and get a swing coach. I'll bet a good swing coach can diagnose your slice pretty quickly. 

On 11/7/2019 at 10:09 PM, iacas said:

I absolutely could. A couple of grams in the head moves the swing weight scale a full point, IIRC.

I agree, I can feel it too.  But you get used to it pretty quickly and then you don’t even think of it.