boodaboy16

Flat or Upright Plane?

5 posts / 948 viewsLast Reply

Hi All,

Wondering what your thoughts are on the flat vs upright swing plane and how to know which one is best for you?  I am currently stuck between the two:

Flatter plane (top clip): I feel like I am able to get closer to shallowing in transition and my impact lines up closer to my setup angle.  Perhaps it matches my body type better as well.  I could be potentially more repeatable and give me a consistent draw which would be nice.

Upright (bottom clip): I feel like this swing is more conventional and is where I have been swinging the past several years.  I like the higher ball flight it gives but I do struggle with consistency, trying to shallow in transition and getting too steep (blocking to the right).

How do you guys know what the best swing plane is for you? 

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

On the bottom one I would be concerned about long irons and woods fading too much.  It's really rather steep.  But I mean, your handicap is pretty low to be dealing with such basic issues.  I think the bottom swing is outside of the cone of success, and perhaps that is causing the consistency issues.  The top one has a beautiful transition.  To my eyes, you are dropping your arms like a pro.

You should make a "my swing" thread and post this.  You may get more attention from people who know better than I do.  And try to get a side angle too.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why does it have to be either or? Where's the happy medium? Admittedly, there have been upright and flat swingers on the Tour forever. And many in between. What every one of us has to do is find the proper arc for our swings. It's an individual effort. which can be advised by, but never totally caused by, outsiders.

You have to find the swing plane that is right for you. 

They're not that different.

01.jpg

Are they different enough to matter? Yeah, a little. I don't know what your handicap is or anything - you haven't listed it.

Very similar swings. The "flat" swing almost looks too under on the downswing. I don't think your issue is shallowing, this is the upright swing.

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 11.27.46 AM.png