IGNORED

Flat or Upright Plane?

boodaboy16
Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

Wondering what your thoughts are on the flat vs upright swing plane and how to know which one is best for you?  I am currently stuck between the two:

Flatter plane (top clip): I feel like I am able to get closer to shallowing in transition and my impact lines up closer to my setup angle.  Perhaps it matches my body type better as well.  I could be potentially more repeatable and give me a consistent draw which would be nice.

Upright (bottom clip): I feel like this swing is more conventional and is where I have been swinging the past several years.  I like the higher ball flight it gives but I do struggle with consistency, trying to shallow in transition and getting too steep (blocking to the right).

How do you guys know what the best swing plane is for you? 

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

On the bottom one I would be concerned about long irons and woods fading too much.  It's really rather steep.  But I mean, your handicap is pretty low to be dealing with such basic issues.  I think the bottom swing is outside of the cone of success, and perhaps that is causing the consistency issues.  The top one has a beautiful transition.  To my eyes, you are dropping your arms like a pro.

You should make a "my swing" thread and post this.  You may get more attention from people who know better than I do.  And try to get a side angle too.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why does it have to be either or? Where's the happy medium? Admittedly, there have been upright and flat swingers on the Tour forever. And many in between. What every one of us has to do is find the proper arc for our swings. It's an individual effort. which can be advised by, but never totally caused by, outsiders.

You have to find the swing plane that is right for you. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

They're not that different.

01.jpg

Are they different enough to matter? Yeah, a little. I don't know what your handicap is or anything - you haven't listed it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Very similar swings. The "flat" swing almost looks too under on the downswing. I don't think your issue is shallowing, this is the upright swing.

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 11.27.46 AM.png

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, birdie seeker said:

The plane is set at address. Tall players will have a more upright plane. Short players will have a flatter plane.

That's not necessarily true. Matt Kuchar isn't short, and Justin Thomas isn't the tallest guy out there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

That's not necessarily true. Matt Kuchar isn't short, and Justin Thomas isn't the tallest guy out there.

He is when he's tipping caddies!!!!! :-P

Thanks, I'll be here all week!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!