IGNORED

Wedge Shafts Match Iron Shafts or No?

Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am switching to Recoil 65 F3 in my irons while my current wedge shafts are DG Tour Issue.  For chips and pitches, i dont forsee an issue.  But for full sw and lob wedge shots i could see having the same shaft as irons.  Thiughts?

You should probably just try it and see if the weights are too far off. That's a pretty huge weight jump, 65 to 128g, not to mention graphite to steel. If the jump is too big I might consider going with something in-between say 80-90 gram recoil. 65g wedge shaft would be pretty light.

I match mine to my irons. I use the xp 95 shafts. The transition with the standard true tempers I found to be too different. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

It probably doesn’t make that much difference for a HH player like me, but I’ve got Ping Regular Soft graphite in my irons and  steel Wedge Flex in my SM6 Vokey wedges. Do you think this is a bad combination for a HH player?

42 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

It probably doesn’t make that much difference for a HH player like me, but I’ve got Ping Regular Soft graphite in my irons and  steel Wedge Flex in my SM6 Vokey wedges. Do you think this is a bad combination for a HH player?

If you feel like the wedge is noticably heavy and you have issues swinging through with it then yes. If you never thought about it until reading this post, I probably wouldn't worry about it as much. If you do want to change like I said above, I might go with some weight in-between your irons and wedge.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

• iacas changed the title to Wedge Shafts Match Iron Shafts or No?
18 hours ago, CharlieB said:

This is where I am at too. Graphite in everything but wedges and putter. Some days I wonder, but others I really don't pay any attention to the differences. Although I wonder if I should go steel on my irons because sometimes the graphite iron shafts feels too light for me. Being an older golfer at 65, I thought maybe the graphite would be easier on my hands and arms which I think it is, yet I am not sure I am hitting my best with them.

I am always a club up from my buddy to match yardage and yet I swing faster than he does most of the time. I may look into this a bit more during the winter before next spring.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:24 AM, luchnia said:

This is where I am at too. Graphite in everything but wedges and putter. Some days I wonder, but others I really don't pay any attention to the differences. Although I wonder if I should go steel on my irons because sometimes the graphite iron shafts feels too light for me. Being an older golfer at 65, I thought maybe the graphite would be easier on my hands and arms which I think it is, yet I am not sure I am hitting my best with them.

I am always a club up from my buddy to match yardage and yet I swing faster than he does most of the time. I may look into this a bit more during the winter before next spring.

I think you might want to look at your situation differently. Maybe you aren’t hitting as far as you want but are you able to play pain-free and more frequently? Clubbing up is an ego thing but playing more often is ideal. 

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

On 1/4/2020 at 10:50 AM, vonbonds said:

I think you might want to look at your situation differently. Maybe you aren’t hitting as far as you want but are you able to play pain-free and more frequently? Clubbing up is an ego thing but playing more often is ideal. 

I do play pain-free and have no problem playing often if time permits. My hands never sting with my graphite shafts if I hit a bad shot which sometimes my buddy gets stung bad on a mis-hit. 

On 12/29/2019 at 8:08 AM, txgolfer45 said:

I am switching to Recoil 65 F3 in my irons while my current wedge shafts are DG Tour Issue.  For chips and pitches, i dont forsee an issue.  But for full sw and lob wedge shots i could see having the same shaft as irons.  Thiughts?

That's a pretty big jump.

I'd go 75 if the irons are 65.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I match shafts and grips, although I can't say how necessary it is.

When I was playing DCI 962s, I put matching Aldila NV Pro 105s on my wedges and driving iron if I carried one.  Now, I've got AeroTech Steelfiber i95s on everything.  Also, Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2Gs.

Again, it's probably not entirely necessary but it gets extraneous thoughts and potential excused out of my head.

Ping G430 Max....3, 5, 7, 9-woods (Alta CB Black 65);  Callaway Apex UT...driving iron (Aerotech i95);
Titleist T-100...5-9 (Aerotech i95);  Edel C Grind...48, 54° (Aerotech i95};
Edel P Grind...60° (Aerotech i95);  Ping DS-72...putter; Titleist Pro V1x...ball

I'm a HH and have always hit graphite shafts irons and steel shaft wedges, I never thought about it to much, but my wedges do feel heavier then say my PW. The GW that came with my set of irons is a 49* loft, the jump to my 56* SW I feel is to much, plus I'm not crazy about the GW that came with the set. So I just bought a Cleveland CBX 52* with a graphite shaft, feels really nice. I just got it yesterday so I haven't hit it yet, changed the grip this morning to Golfpride midsize grips to match my irons and woods. I'm hoping it will be my go to club around the greens, we'll see.

Mine match, but they are stock, not fitted. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!