IGNORED

Should slicers steer clear of high spinning balls?

jfrain2004
Note: This thread is 5908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

or an open clubface or both. You can't just call it one thing or the other without seeing the swing on tape and/or some impact tape.

if we are talking about a true slice here and not a push or fade > an open clubface will results in a left to right motion and sideways spin.

re: multi layers > good comments, i can't believe it has only be 5 years since it was either: 'distance' or 'feel'. its so competitive these days! which is great!
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

Every manufacturer claims to make a high spinning balls for wedges and be low-spinning off the driver. The simple truth is that you can't have you cake and eat it too. While there have been great strides in achieving that goal -- the modern multilayer ball really helps -- I don't think that there will ever be that perfect combination. A ball that is high spin with the wedges will still have a higher spin off the driver than a ball that low spin off the driver and have lower spin with the wedges.

Well done Bignose.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

yes, this is a real slicers slice. He has everything going on in his swing and ends up with a great big out to in path through the ball and of course the face is open. He's the type of guy who will throw vast sums of money at his golf game without spending the most valuable comodity of all on it .... time. So 5 Pro V1s in the hedge is not something he's too concerned about. My entire golf setup cost less than his After burner driver alone lol

I got rid of my slices (and hooks) a long time ago, but I can call up a slice with any club (including my putter) whenever wanted or needed.

I recall playing in a big charity tournament scramble (team best ball with an A, a B and 2 C players) about 27 years ago on a "pro" course which had a monster par 5 (620 yard) with a short dog leg right to the green. It was over 450 yards down the fairway before you could get a straight shot at the green to the right and the best drive of our group was one our B player had crushed about 300 yards but pushed into the right rough. The two C players failed to get us a shot at the green with their seconds, but the B player hit one back to the left into the fairway that left us about a straight 200 yard shot to the green for our third. I said what the hell aimed left of the corner and put a 100% slice swing on a three wood and watched the ball swing around the corner as pretty as you please. When we got to the corner we saw my ball on the green about 8 feet from the pin (the ball had traveled about 300 yards and did a 90 degree turn, no one could see what it did, but I guessed it had ran at least 70-80 yards to the green). The first C player to putt holed it out for our eagle. This turned out to be the toughest hole on the course and was the tie breaker that gave us the win that day. The first place place plaque sits on my office bookshelf now.

Calling up a hook isn't as easily done for me; all I usually get is a slight draw or a short, duck hook. So I very rarely even try a hook.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

The first C player to putt holed it out for our eagle.

...Birdie?

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

I agree with Golf Yokel, wouldn't that be a birdie?

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

No, it would be an eagle. He was hitting the second shot from the rough. 300 yd drive plus 300 yd cut around the dog leg = on the green in two. I think he mentioned the B players shot just to emphasize that they had a good 3rd shot opportunity so he went for it instead.

What's in my orange Callaway Warbird Hot:

Maltby CT250 11.5° - SK Fiber Pure Energy s-flex
Maltby CT250 18° - SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 s-flex
Taylor Made RAC OS2 3-PW - True Temper r-flexTitleist Vokey Satin 252.08 (bent to 49°) & Satin SM54.10Yes! Tiffany (center shafted)Top Flite D2 Feel...

It was over 450 yards down the fairway before you could get a straight shot at the green to the right and the

No, that would be a birdie...

Unless you are reading something I'm not... the way he wrote this deffinitely makes this a birdie. Sorry to nit-pick, but there are a few reasons I pay attention to people's stories.

I got rid of my slices (and hooks) a long time ago,

Looks like a eagle to me. I read his comment to mean another player hit a good layup, so he swung out of his shoes on the second shot, hit a huge slice , it ran 70-80 yards and came to rest 8 feet from the cup.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I got rid of my slices (and hooks) a long time ago, but I can call up a slice with any club (including my putter) whenever wanted or needed.

Last i checked a 3 on a par 5 is an eagle...he didn't play his partners second shot, instead he went for it since he had a safe play if he didn't make it. Then he holed the putt so that makes a 3.
In the bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

Ah... this is what was throwing me off...

Sorry, but I thought from the way he typed it that he was hitting the third ball...

You need to play a less spinning ball. It doesnt mean a 2 piece over a 3 either.

The Callaway HX Hot is good for distace and doesnt spin much off the T, yet its a 3 piece. The Warbird on the other hand is a 2 piece and I strongly doubt you can tell a difference between the two when teeing off.

The Warbird is a $16 gem IMO. good value, straight drives, little spin but enough spin to get it done around the green. Lets face it, how many of us can really pull the string on one like a pro does? maybe some, but enough of us to warrant the laughable pricepoints of some of the leaders out there?

Warbirds and HX HOT...LOVE EM!

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

Note: This thread is 5908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!