IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Not sure how many people watched the Shriners this week, but I see that 340,000 watched LIV golf on Sunday for the final round (YouTube). That doesn't sound like a very big number to me but maybe I'm wrong? I want to say the last LIV golf I watched was the final round in Chicago and that number was almost double. I am wondering how they expect to compete against college football and the NFL on fall week-ends?

Where's 340k from? Because I saw like 17k live viewers over the last five holes in the one round.

Lotta LIV Bots out there, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wasn’t it during the middle of the night as far as the United States?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

LIV Golf Invitational Bangkok | Final Round | October 9 353,105 views Streamed live on Oct 8, 2022 Watch the final round of the LIV Golf Invitational Bangkok. Learn more about LIV Golf: https://www.livgolf.com/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LIVGolfInv/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/LIVGolfInv

I based it on the number of views steamed live. The number was lower than the 353,000 it is showing now. I assume this number is based just on youtube views?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 10/10/2022 at 7:06 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Not sure how many people watched the Shriners this week,

This does speak volumes about how little interest there is in TV golf.  Cantlay's 72nd hole and the decisions he made seemed right out of the amateur hour; regardless of his "playing for 2nd" statement.

But there was basically no talk or discussion of the Shriner's or that debacle.  The PGA and LIV depend on viewership and if that only means majors and the playoffs, neither one can be in a great position.

I understand lacking star names, but if people would rather tune in to see Cooper Rush...

John

• Administrator
On 10/11/2022 at 8:48 AM, Bucki1968 said:

I based it on the number of views steamed live.

Like I said, something like 20,000 viewed it live. It was a bad time of night, and half of those (or more?) may have been bots.

Same is true of the current count of views: it may be bots.

It's at 360,000. Again, many of those may have been bots. 30 seconds counts as a view, so… yeah.

30 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

The PGA and LIV depend on viewership

Says who?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

The PGA and LIV depend on viewership

It seems that the LIV is well funded and has money to throw around. They don't need TV viewership.  They are probably going after a TV just to compete with the PGA.
However I view LIV as the ultimate Golf Participation medal. They are awarding massive prize money to golfers who would not receive the same amount for a similar performance on the PGA tour.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Which LIV players, if any, have a realistic chance of winning a major? DJ, Cam Smith, and who else?

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

On 10/12/2022 at 7:57 AM, iacas said:

Says who?

You are right about LIV.  LIV doesn’t need viewership.

I would think the PGA, like every other sport, sells broadcast rights that amount to a significant amount of revenue.

My point was that even on a golf site like this, there isn’t much buzz about a number of tournaments.

I realize this is not a team fan base site, but most team boards have page after page critiquing every play, and cheering or flaming players then coaches and mgmt, during a game.

If most golf fans are watching the NFL, does it matter who goes or stays?

John

Edited by 70sSanO

29 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

point was that even on a golf site like this, there isn’t much buzz about a number of tournaments.

I watched Cantlay collapse. I found it to be quite entertaining but I didn’t post about it here. I bet there’s quite a bit here who are in the same boat….

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I watched Cantlay collapse. I found it to be quite entertaining but I didn’t post about it here. I bet there’s quite a bit here who are in the same boat….

I absolutely agree with you that a lot of people watch and don’t post.

That was quite an epic poor judgment meltdown.

John

9 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

My point was that even on a golf site like this, there isn’t much buzz about a number of tournaments.

True but we are also in somewhat of the off season now. I did what some of the last tournament and am watching parts of Zozo. Do football fans watch the preseason very much? Do baseball fans watch every inning of all 162 games? Some tournaments deserve buzz and others don’t. IMO no LIV tournament deserves buzz. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I can talk hockey more than football or baseball.  The off-season is an excruciating time, but most fan base “sites” are  engaged from the draft through world juniors, rookie camp and pre-season.  There can be more buzz before a season starts than in the waning weeks of another wait til next year season.

This is not, nor will it ever be a fan base site; neither will any other individual (non-location team) sport website be.  So it will never have the same buzz.

I can’t speak for others, but as the LIV saga has raged on, I’ve found there are a precious few players I would really miss watching if they left.  But I enjoy watching the sport.

John

8 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

I can’t speak for others, but as the LIV saga has raged on, I’ve found there are a precious few players I would really miss watching if they left.  But I enjoy watching the sport.

Same with me. There are always new players coming up that are fun to watch. I don’t watch the Champions Tour much, which is similar to some respect. These guys aged out and I really don’t miss them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

I’ll admit I watched the last round for about 30min. It’s really rather embarrassing how they constantly post tweets from people about how amazing the event is. It’s incredibly transparent that Feherty is desperately trying to appear excited as well.

I sometimes watch the highlights on YouTube. Can't take more than a few minutes of LIV. Seems like forced excitement from the announcers, along with silly team names and a bunch of established pros in short pants playing an exhibition. Plenty of money for meaningless wins. The Saudis may have plenty of money to keep this thing going, but I think viewer interest in this has already peaked.