IGNORED

Is DeChambeau's Fitness Plan Working?

MiuraMan
Note: This thread is 1440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The early returns on Bryson DeChambeau’s distance-gaining efforts are extremely positive. Bryson has jumped from 24th to 4th on Tour in strokes gained off the tee and from 34th to 4th in driving distance. In the statistic ‘distance of all drives,’ which measures every drive a player hits, and not just the traditional two measured holes, DeChambeau’s average is up nearly 16 yards. Protein shakes for everyone.

• iacas changed the title to Is DeChambeau's Fitness Plan Working?
  • 2 months later...

He's now jumped up to #1 in Driving Distance averaging just over 321. He's certainly bulked up, but I hope that's not the main draw people take away. There is a lot that goes into training the body for golf. For every pound of muscle you add you have to work equally hard to prevent injury from the added weight and keep up your pliability/suppleness. 

Bryson is a scientist who leaves no stone unturned. Having looked into what he's doing, he is doing a ton for injury prevention. I'm hoping to see if he can take a unique path in that he adds distance and power, while not getting injured too bad on the way. He will need to defy the players of the recent past, namely Tiger, Jason, and Rory.

We'll have to check back in a few years on this.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, K_Monty24 said:

Bryson is a scientist

Uhhhhhh…

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, K_Monty24 said:

Bryson is a scientist

And I’m a tour pro.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

22 minutes ago, K_Monty24 said:

Bryson is a scientist who leaves no stone unturned.

Bryson studied a science in college, that's not exactly the same thing as being a real scientist.  I have a friend at my home club who is a molecular biologist involved in some kind of research, HE is a scientist.  But Bryson is someone who analyzes things, who tried to look at things differently, and is certainly willing to be different from "the norm".  As you quite correctly say, time will tell if Bryson's strength gains help him to be more successful and less injury-prone than some others.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Bryson studied a science in college, that's not exactly the same thing as being a real scientist.  I have a friend at my home club who is a molecular biologist involved in some kind of research, HE is a scientist.  But Bryson is someone who analyzes things, who tried to look at things differently, and is certainly willing to be different from "the norm".  As you quite correctly say, time will tell if Bryson's strength gains help him to be more successful and less injury-prone than some others.

I'm not saying he is the next David Baltimore, and I was being quite liberal with the term scientist, bordering on sarcasm. (ie he's the "golfing scientist")

But this does bring up the point, not that I intended it, that we do actually define scientist maybe more broadly than perceived.

#1 "a person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences."

#2 "A scientist is someone who conducts scientific research to advance knowledge in an area of interest."

"a person learned in science and especially natural science : a scientific investigator"- webster

He is "learned", he has studied, he does greatly advanced knowledge in his area, and to do that he does continual scientific research. 

He is someone intensely devoted to studying his form of science, who obtained a degree in physics, and now works closely with great minds.

It would actually prove to be harder to argue against the definitions that he isn't a scientist over is.

Edited by K_Monty24
  • Like 1

• Administrator

He’s not even a graduate dude.

Nor does he practice science. He’s a golfer. He’s not a scientist.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I define scientist a bit more specifically.  As one who studied engineering, managed to earn a Bachelors and Masters in engineering, I was definitely not an Engineer when I got out of school.  All of  that education merely gave me the basis to start becoming an engineer once I started working in engineering.  Similarly, Bryson studied a science, but became a golfer when he left college.  He's a golfer, and a fine one, but he's dabbler in science.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

32 minutes ago, K_Monty24 said:

I'm not saying he is the next David Baltimore, and I was being quite liberal with the term scientist, bordering on sarcasm. (ie he's the "golfing scientist")

But this does bring up the point, not that I intended it, that we do actually define scientist maybe more broadly than perceived.

#1 "a person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences."

#2 "A scientist is someone who conducts scientific research to advance knowledge in an area of interest."

"a person learned in science and especially natural science : a scientific investigator"- webster

He is "learned", he has studied, he does greatly advanced knowledge in his area, and to do that he does continual scientific research. 

He is someone intensely devoted to studying his form of science, who obtained a degree in physics, and now works closely with great minds.

It would actually prove to be harder to argue against the definitions that he isn't a scientist over is.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  I'm a scientist.

46 minutes ago, K_Monty24 said:

, who obtained a degree in physics,

He did not. He left SMU without a degree. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 hours ago, K_Monty24 said:

He's now jumped up to #1 in Driving Distance averaging just over 321. He's certainly bulked up, but I hope that's not the main draw people take away. There is a lot that goes into training the body for golf. For every pound of muscle you add you have to work equally hard to prevent injury from the added weight and keep up your pliability/suppleness. 

Bryson is a scientist who leaves no stone unturned. Having looked into what he's doing, he is doing a ton for injury prevention. I'm hoping to see if he can take a unique path in that he adds distance and power, while not getting injured too bad on the way. He will need to defy the players of the recent past, namely Tiger, Jason, and Rory.

We'll have to check back in a few years on this.

Have you seen his Twitch feed? He has one video where he attempts to get over 200 mph of ball speed - he got 203!

Note: This thread is 1440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!