IGNORED

Divots...You hit em' or not?

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take a divot when hitting your irons

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends...

Im curious because I tend not to but my playing partner does and insists most players do.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

I take a divot with every club except the driver. My divots with the 3i, hybrid, and 3 wood are very slim, but they are divots nonetheless.

As for what is right or wrong, I would lean towards a divot but won't say not taking one is wrong. Tom Watson was an excellent ballstriker and never took a divot.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Im curious because I tend not to but my playing partner does and insists most players do.

I didn't used to, and I still don't sometimes, but I've found it happening more and more, especially with the 7-iron on down.

My understand is that it used to be a necessity with the quality of fairway to be found. But there are, I seem to recall, some top pros who don't take divots and more or less "nip" the ball off the turf. This is a big claim and I have no citation for it, so I hope someone who reads this can back me up.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My swings usually tend to leave shallow divots.

I like divots though... they can help me tell if I was aligned properly, of if my swing came through the ball straight.

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

When I'm swinging well and making really good contact I'll have the following results.

Driver= knock the tee forward (10-15 years ago sweeping the ball off the tee was desired with the driver) fairway woods/metals = sweep the ball away with no divot long irons = sweep the ball away with no divot mid-irons = clip the ball and make a very thin divot short-irons and wedges = clip the ball and make a thin divot (often makes the fizzing sound through the air you hear when pros strike it solid).
Tom Watson was an excellent ballstriker and never took a divot.

But there are, I seem to recall, some top pros who don't take divots and more or less "nip" the ball off the turf. This is a big claim and I have no citation for it, so I hope someone who reads this can back me up.

Greg Norman in the 80's took sizeable divots with his irons, and had problems where the ball would suck back off the green. In the 90's after he started working with Butch Harmon he became much more of a sweeper of the ball and swept or pinched most of his shots off the turf, and when he did take a divot (occasionallly with short irons and wedges) it was a thin divot.

Nick Faldo and Nick Price did the same when they were playing well. Ernie Els, Charles Howell III, and Adam Scott are three active players that sweep the ball with the longer clubs and make thin divots with the shorter clubs. Bobby Jones was also a big believer in sweeping the ball during his time. The leading edge on your clubs will be a factor in how much sweep or dig you make as well. The way many irons and wedges are built today you may end up taking a divot whether you want to or not. Overall your better off learning to be a sweeper (instead of a digger) as it works for the majority of lies. I've seen Ernie Els, Greg Norman, and Nick Faldo all hit fairway bunker shots where they hit it so cleanly that there were no signs that their clubs ever contacted the sand. The better you can sweep your shots the easier you'll find it to hit fairway bunker shots when you get stuck with them.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Greg Norman in the 80's took sizeable divots with his irons, and had problems where the ball would suck back off the green. In the 90's after he started working with Butch Harmon he became much more of a sweeper of the ball and swept or pinched most of his shots off the turf, and when he did take a divot (occasionallly with short irons and wedges) it was a thin divot.

Many thanks for the details.

The leading edge on your clubs will be a factor in how much sweep or dig you make as well. The way many irons and wedges are built today you may end up taking a divot whether you want to or not.

This brings up a good question from me - what varieties of irons are more likely to cause it? Super-cavity? Normal-cavity? Muscle-back? Because my divots are far more frequent and consistent with my Vokey wedges than with my super-game-improvement clubs, even the PW.

Overall your better off learning to be a sweeper (instead of a digger) as it works for the majority of lies. I've seen Ernie Els, Greg Norman, and Nick Faldo all hit fairway bunker shots where they hit it so cleanly that there were no signs that their clubs ever contacted the sand. The better you can sweep your shots the easier you'll find it to hit fairway bunker shots when you get stuck with them.

Wow. I hit my 3H out of a bunker yesterday and it looked like the ball hadn't been there, other than the trail it made coming in and the footprints I made getting in. I figured I had done something wrong. But the ball went where I wanted, so I had no way of knowing. Thanks: I feel much better.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It tends to be blade style and thinner soled clubs that are moreprone to taking divots. With the super game improvement and game improvement irons the sole is designed to help you get the ball in the air, similar to a hybrid or fairway wood and is therefore less prone to taking divots. It also depends on the bounce of the club, more than likely the reason you take divots with your BV wedge.

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

I don't normally take divots with anything. However I sometimes rip up a nice one with my 3 wood...

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I take a divot with every club except the driver and putter. If you find yourself on the tee scraping the dirt out of the grooves on your driver, you haven't been hitting your driver very well.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I always thought I was a sweeper when I played the local course, the fairways arent well maintained and its almost like your playing off concrete.

But, when I play a course that actually waters there fairways I take some pretty hefty divots. Its satisfying when you take a chunk out of the earth. Makes you feel like you accomplished something.

In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

Must see some pretty long drives there....I have a course by me like that. you hit it 250 and it seems like you get 100 yards of bounce and roll...like hitting down the freeway.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

Must see some pretty long drives there....I have a course by me like that. you hit it 250 and it seems like you get 100 yards of bounce and roll...like hitting down the freeway.

Yea, I try not to play that course to much, but its hard not to when its only 5 mins. down the road.

Nearest (well-maintained) course is around 30-45 mins. away. Only play it on the weekends. I play the "FreeWay" course after work during the week. Descent layout, just wish they would put some money into the course maintence.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

Big floppy divots...especially with the wedges.

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Your partner is correct.

Divots are an indication your swing is properly bottoming out past the ball. The exception is the long irons where you sweep them.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

One thing I've noticed among less experienced players is that they assume you take a divot way before you hit the ball, which is why I see a lot of people chunk it and hit it 30 yards with a 6 iron. I believe you are supposed to make contact with the ball first and take your divot about half a ball past your lie, definitely not a ball before it, though.

A good tip I read for people who have trouble taking divots is instead of looking at the ball, look about 6 inches past it, and make your swing. It will force you to bottom out your swing later and will help you take a good divot.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

A good tip I read for people who have trouble taking divots is instead of looking at the ball, look about 6 inches past it, and make your swing. It will force you to bottom out your swing later and will help you take a good divot.

+1 this is what helped me hit down on it(exept I only looked about 4 inches ahead) I now brush the grass up with long irons, take a small divot with mid irons, and a pretty big one with the short ones.

I am up in MA and have been playing for only a few years. I have been looking online to try to find flaws in my swing.

I have a tendancy to spray my iron shots, so when i was looking onling, i read that you are supposed to make contact with the ball first, then take a divot. I've been taking a small divot just before contact with the ball. I get pretty good loft and distance, but do you think this would be causing my inconsitency?

Should i try to change this and make contact with the ball first then the ground before the season starts??

Also, any good tips to try to change this?

i saw this programme which showed how you must hit down on the short irons to hit the sweet spot and get maximum distance due to the loft. if you do not hit down, you will not take a divot and get anywhere near the distance you could hit it, although sweeping the ball is ok with longer irons

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!