IGNORED

3 Wood shaft on 7 Wood

Note: This thread is 1414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are the negatives and positives on putting a 3 wood shaft on my 7 wood cobra F9 the 3 is also a F9. It seems the 3 shaft is about 3/4 in longer. The reason I am doing this is I bought a new shaft for the 3 but like he old 3 shaft better than the 7 shaft I had.

5 hours ago, Groundhog34 said:

What are the negatives and positives on putting a 3 wood shaft on my 7 wood cobra F9 the 3 is also a F9. It seems the 3 shaft is about 3/4 in longer. The reason I am doing this is I bought a new shaft for the 3 but like he old 3 shaft better than the 7 shaft I had.

Well, it’s a difference of 3/4”. If you like how it feels and hit it well...If it feels odd you could always grip down a bit. Otherwise just have at it!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Groundhog34 said:

The reason I am doing this is I bought a new shaft for the 3 but like he old 3 shaft better than the 7 shaft I had

I'm not quite sure this makes sense. Just because one shaft feels better on a certain club doesn't mean that it will feel just as good on a different club. I think a range session is in order for you, but I don't think that having a shaft longer than stock (assuming that you are of normal height), will be any kind of positive on that club. That's more of a long drive mentality.

Side note: swing weights are a thing, and if you mess with them, they can mess with you.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Your 7 wood head is, in all likelihood, heavier than your 3 wood head.  The result of the union, between your 3 wood shaft and your 7 wood head, will be a longer club with more flex and a higher swing weight.  

Look up the trimming instructions for the shaft in question.  Some wood shafts are "butt trim only".  That is not usually the case but one never knows...until one does.  That will give you a better idea what you are getting into.  

Also...weigh the heads.  It is common practice, with tip-trimmed shafts, to trim an additional 1/2 inch from the tip for each 7 gram increase in head weight.

At any rate...bon chance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Ideally you would tip it a 1/2 inch and butt cut it down to length as others have mentioned, however since it's an adjustable hosel and you can just screw it in I would say try it at the range first and see. Then you can decide if you need to tip and or butt cut it down, but you might as well try the simplest thing first.

(edited)

After hitting the club on the range and playing 3 rounds I can say the head "feels" a tiny bit heaver. However I hit the club 5 yards further straighter and higher probably due to using a better shaft. No problems and I do not plan to trim the shaft. 195, high and straight works for me.

Edited by Groundhog34
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Groundhog34 said:

After hitting the club on the range and playing 3 rounds I can say the head "feels" a tiny bit heaver. However I hit the club 5 yards further straighter and higher probably due to using a better shaft. No problems and I do not plan to trim the shaft. 195, high and straight works for me.

Is this not the concept of the heavenwood? I did the same with my 7wood und use it it in a 3wood shaft. That club is a very loyal partner in my bag!

On 6/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, Groundhog34 said:

That is awesome that you got good results. I would say if you did not tip that 3 wood shaft and just straight up installed it that you now have specs that maximize your swing.

You hit it higher because the tip is probably not as  firm in the seven wood. The heavier club head bends the shaft more (shaft plays to weaker flex), that is why some post earlier mentioned tipping extra off the shaft to compensate for the heavier club head. 

IF you could get that club swing weight and/or MOI measured somewhere (i.e. fitting center)  then you could identify "like" shaft/flex models that fit your swing.

In other words, the next time you are in the market for a new or used club, you have some specs to go by so you get as close to what the needed specs you require are with your new clubs. 

Note: This thread is 1414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!