IGNORED

Why Do You Play Golf?

phedrick
Note: This thread is 1171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing for years, although my index wouldn't validate that. I just enjoy being out in a nice environment with friends and hopefully shouting a half way decent score. I also play in a league of retired guys and gals, some good some not so good. We play a best ball scramble to move things along, (there are usually 10 to 12 foursomes going out), we also play it forward because none of us hit the ball that far anymore. It is great fun, we switch up the foursomes so we get a chance to play with different people.

I also am a bit of a club hound and I enjoy shopping for the newest shiny thing although these days being retired purchasing is limited.

I just put together a set of clubs using my old Ping Eye2s, (3 though S), I'll be interested to see if I can still score with them. 

Anyway it is my hobby and it gets me out of the house.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I enjoy the challenge of the game and the overall atmosphere of a golf course such as the smell of cut grass and all the different sights you see while out there. The golf course is a very relaxing place for me.

• Like 1

:titleist:

I contracted Parkinson's disease from exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. It showed up two years ago. 

The exercise greatly reduces the shaking in my right hand. 

I am now 74 years old and it is excellent exercise. I will play every day if I can. However, if I play everyday for three or four days, I need about a week to lay off and build my strength back up. 

I actually play fairly well and totally enjoy it. 

Retired Old Man

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, RetiredOldMan said:

I contracted Parkinson's disease from exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. It showed up two years ago. 

I am now 74 years old and it is excellent exercise. I will play every day if I can. However, if I play everyday for three or four days, I need about a week to lay off and build my strength back up. 

Retired Old Man

Thank you for serving in that hell hole called Vietnam (at the time... otherwise it's a beautiful country) and I'm glad you are able to get out and play.  Do you happen to be one of the veterans who has gone back for a visit?

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Thank you for serving in that hell hole called Vietnam (at the time... otherwise it's a beautiful country) and I'm glad you are able to get out and play.  Do you happen to be one of the veterans who has gone back for a visit?

No thanks. I still have flashbacks and nightmares. I hold no grudges or anger against  anyone but have been unable to get the images out of my mind. 

Just finally was ale to visit the wall in Washington D.C. last year. (It helped a lot)

Serving other Veterans helps a lot too.

Thanks for your kind words. 

Retired Old Man

Edited by RetiredOldMan
  • Upvote 1

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

I learned to play golf by going to the course with my father when I was a little boy.  I thought being around the course and club were the greatest things ever as a 6 or 8 year old.  When I got to the age of 10 I received my first membership to the local 9 hole muni where all the kids in town congregated every day in the summer.  Many of the friendships I made in my youth are still with me today at age 60.  I'd like to say that it was one great shot that kept bringing me back but it is and will always be the spirit of golf. 

48 minutes ago, Bear0906 said:

I learned to play golf by going to the course with my father when I was a little boy.  I thought being around the course and club were the greatest things ever as a 6 or 8 year old.  When I got to the age of 10 I received my first membership to the local 9 hole muni where all the kids in town congregated every day in the summer.  Many of the friendships I made in my youth are still with me today at age 60.  I'd like to say that it was one great shot that kept bringing me back but it is and will always be the spirit of golf. 

That speaks so well for the game of golf.

19 hours ago, RetiredOldMan said:

Retired Old Man

As one disabled vet to another, thanks for your service.

• Like 1

It's outside, fresh air, nice scenery.

It's a difficult game that rewards one's effort. 

Socializing with friends.

Me against the course.

I'm very competitive.

Good exercise.

etc

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Note: This thread is 1171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!