srguthrie

Figuring It Out, but Need Help

7 posts / 1118 viewsLast Reply

I think I'm close to having things "click" for me but I'm still struggling.  Things are feeling better on the range, and for stretches on the course, but I tend to fall apart at some point during a round.  It feels like aliens have taken over my body.  I think maybe im getting armsey and not starting with my hips.  How can I combat this? 

1 hour ago, srguthrie said:

I think I'm close to having things "click" for me but I'm still struggling.  Things are feeling better on the range, and for stretches on the course, but I tend to fall apart at some point during a round.  It feels like aliens have taken over my body.  I think maybe im getting armsey and not starting with my hips.  How can I combat this? 

Well with an ‘infinity’ hcp ( lol ) you’re going to have those times where things ‘click.’ The sad truth is those shots are the outliers.  Until you’re with some solid instruction and sure you’re making progress towards the five keys you’re kinda just winging it out there.

I winged it for over 20 years. Video wasn’t a thing in my earlier years. It’s eye opening to see yourself and realize you’re not doing anything like what you feel you’re doing.

Don't be discouraged. This is just the hard truth. Golf is hard. Getting in a groove on the range is a phenomenon which seldom tells us anything. Working on a set piece and confirming your progress with video is much more valuable than these range groove sessions. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I'm on the range I try to take a minute or two in between my shots and switch up clubs, unless I am specifically working on something. This way it's more similar to how you would actually play on the course. It's easier to get it the groove at the range when you're making the same swing one after another because you can just copy feel. 

As far as your swing issue it's difficult to determine without a video, but when things for me I like to slow my swing a bit and take a slightly shorter backswing. 

Find a feel and incorporate it into the pre-shot routine. When on the range, do the routine every single shot. So that translation to the course is easier.  When you play, make sure you take the time to do the same routine every time. Don't think that because a few shots in a row go well, that you can forget about it.  I like to think back to Justin Rose, when before almost every drive, he had this slightly exaggerated swing feel.  Didn't matter if it was a practice round or final round of the tournament. Same thing, every time. First 18 sec of this video.

Edited by phillyk

On 7/1/2020 at 7:11 PM, srguthrie said:

Things are feeling better on the range, and for stretches on the course, but I tend to fall apart at some point during a round.

I feel your pain. Johnny Miller said the range is not the best indicator of your game. All lies are flat and that’s seldom the case on course. His advice was to play more and keep notes. Or, find a place on the range to duplicate various lies.

What seems to help me is having a definite trigger and sequence.

It is still a work in progress, but for those times when I’m setting up and my mind is too cluttered, I need to think when all else fails just do this and that and swing.

You need to figure out what one or two things you need to do to get the downswing started and the sequence.

The result may not always be great, but as long as it is not bad, I consider it a success.

John

On 7/18/2020 at 9:55 AM, Vespidae said:

I feel your pain. Johnny Miller said the range is not the best indicator of your game. All lies are flat and that’s seldom the case on course. His advice was to play more and keep notes. Or, find a place on the range to duplicate various lies.

While literally true… I think this stuff is over-stated.

What do I change about my swing when the ball is a little above my feet or a little downhill? Nothing. I change my setup a little, perhaps. Maybe the club choice changes a bit. But my swing… is still my swing. And if I'm swinging well, then it'll be a good swing.