IGNORED

Using a Weighted Donut Between Shots

Papa Steve 55
Note: This thread is 973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you look anything up before asking?

Thanks, yes. 4.3a(6) which says donuts not specifically allowed.  I couldn't find specifics as to when the round starts, with respect to a player (on or off the teebox), using the Players Edition of the rules. 

I see now, since you've asked, that in the Full Edition of the rules, it says a players round starts when he makes his first stroke.

Guess that answers it, donuts and other weighed swing aids are allowed up until the player makes his first stroke.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, mohearn said:

Guess that answers it, donuts and other weighed swing aids are allowed up until the player makes his first stroke.

Good!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/21/2021 at 3:14 AM, mohearn said:

I see now, since you've asked, that in the Full Edition of the rules, it says a players round starts when he makes his first stroke.

What about foursome? A and B are a side and A makes a stroke on the 1st tee. Has B also commenced his round? Could not find any answer on the Rules or Interpretations.

7 hours ago, Ruler said:

What about foursome? A and B are a side and A makes a stroke on the 1st tee. Has B also commenced his round? Could not find any answer on the Rules or Interpretations.

If you're partners, like in the non-singles Ryder Cup formats, I think once your side has begun their round, it isn't allowed.  It's similar to that you cannot practice putting or chipping on the Xth green when your partner has teed off on hole X+1 already. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

57 minutes ago, Shindig said:

If you're partners, like in the non-singles Ryder Cup formats, I think once your side has begun their round, it isn't allowed.  It's similar to that you cannot practice putting or chipping on the Xth green when your partner has teed off on hole X+1 already. 

Rule 22.4a for foursomes and 23.3a for four-ball address this, 22.3a says "a side's round starts when one of the partners makes a stroke..."  (22.4a is similar)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

28 minutes ago, mohearn said:

Rule 22.4a for foursomes and 23.3a for four-ball address this, 22.3a says "a side's round starts when one of the partners makes a stroke..."  (22.4a is similar)

Thanks! I started to read that Rule before I asked but stopped before the 2nd chapter where the answer was 😆

• Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Ruler said:

stopped before the 2nd chapter where the answer was 😆

Yeah, I was relying on the players edition, but have quickly found that I need to use the Full rules. am generally pretty good on the normal day-to-day ordinary things you might run into, but there are large areas where I just don't yet know. I have lots of respect for folks who really know the rules and can cite the relevant sections to defend their decisions under pressure. Staying on topic, like for the weighted donut example, if I choose to confront it, really have to be able to prove it very specifically. (not that I intend to, in this case, just nothing to gain)

Mike

On 8/22/2021 at 11:12 AM, mohearn said:

Staying on topic, like for the weighted donut example, if I choose to confront it, really have to be able to prove it very specifically. (not that I intend to, in this case, just nothing to gain)

Whether you have something to gain is the wrong standard. See rule 20.1c(2) - Protect Other Players in the Competition. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On cooler days or early morning rounds I used to use hand warmers and hold them against my lower back so everything could stay loose.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

10 hours ago, reidsou said:

Whether you have something to gain is the wrong standard. See rule 20.1c(2) - Protect Other Players in the Competition. 

Yeah, I hear ya. even if it's mostly match play, then I'd have to tackle rake-and-place in bunkers, drop one along the fence for OB, winter rules in July, free drop for lost ball, etc etc.  I can't really change the league, it's a good group of folks and they've been going on for 40+ years.  Me I'm learning the rules with goal of certifying, hence the "donut" question. Even things like switching balls after marking on the green (having hit an old ball over the water).

In a way, it's good, I get to see lots of situations, and I can figure in my mind how to deal with them, and enjoy the league.  FWIW, I play it much as I can straight up, exceptions being certain things the league doesn't allow, like going back and taking stroke and distance (we're walking, slows up play).

• Like 1

Mike

13 hours ago, flopster said:

On cooler days or early morning rounds I used to use hand warmers and hold them against my lower back so everything could stay loose.

Good for you but how does that relate to using weighted donuts? I use hand warmers all the time when it is cold, they are just great.

Somewhat off the "Rules" but it does relate to weight donuts or weighted clubs.  Someone told me a study was done where players swung a weighted club and then hit balls versus other players who warmed up but did not swing a weighted club (or clubs).  The story goes that the players who swung a weighted club lost considerable distance (10% or more) for some time after.  Again the story related to me was that swinging a weight suppressed the "fast twitch" muscles and players lost swing and ball speed.  The conclusion was that it was good to swing a weighted club on days one was not playing but never do so prior to playing.

It is one of those stories that seems plausible but could also just be a product of someone with a good imagination.

Back to the rules!

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!