Jump to content
IGNORED

Using a Weighted Donut Between Shots


Papa Steve 55
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you look anything up before asking?

Thanks, yes. 4.3a(6) which says donuts not specifically allowed.  I couldn't find specifics as to when the round starts, with respect to a player (on or off the teebox), using the Players Edition of the rules. 

I see now, since you've asked, that in the Full Edition of the rules, it says a players round starts when he makes his first stroke.

Guess that answers it, donuts and other weighed swing aids are allowed up until the player makes his first stroke.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/21/2021 at 3:14 AM, mohearn said:

I see now, since you've asked, that in the Full Edition of the rules, it says a players round starts when he makes his first stroke.

What about foursome? A and B are a side and A makes a stroke on the 1st tee. Has B also commenced his round? Could not find any answer on the Rules or Interpretations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Ruler said:

What about foursome? A and B are a side and A makes a stroke on the 1st tee. Has B also commenced his round? Could not find any answer on the Rules or Interpretations.

If you're partners, like in the non-singles Ryder Cup formats, I think once your side has begun their round, it isn't allowed.  It's similar to that you cannot practice putting or chipping on the Xth green when your partner has teed off on hole X+1 already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, Shindig said:

If you're partners, like in the non-singles Ryder Cup formats, I think once your side has begun their round, it isn't allowed.  It's similar to that you cannot practice putting or chipping on the Xth green when your partner has teed off on hole X+1 already. 

Rule 22.4a for foursomes and 23.3a for four-ball address this, 22.3a says "a side's round starts when one of the partners makes a stroke..."  (22.4a is similar)

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, mohearn said:

Rule 22.4a for foursomes and 23.3a for four-ball address this, 22.3a says "a side's round starts when one of the partners makes a stroke..."  (22.4a is similar)

Thanks! I started to read that Rule before I asked but stopped before the 2nd chapter where the answer was 😆

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, Ruler said:

 stopped before the 2nd chapter where the answer was 😆

Yeah, I was relying on the players edition, but have quickly found that I need to use the Full rules. am generally pretty good on the normal day-to-day ordinary things you might run into, but there are large areas where I just don't yet know. I have lots of respect for folks who really know the rules and can cite the relevant sections to defend their decisions under pressure. Staying on topic, like for the weighted donut example, if I choose to confront it, really have to be able to prove it very specifically. (not that I intend to, in this case, just nothing to gain)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/22/2021 at 11:12 AM, mohearn said:

Staying on topic, like for the weighted donut example, if I choose to confront it, really have to be able to prove it very specifically. (not that I intend to, in this case, just nothing to gain)

Whether you have something to gain is the wrong standard. See rule 20.1c(2) - Protect Other Players in the Competition. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, reidsou said:

Whether you have something to gain is the wrong standard. See rule 20.1c(2) - Protect Other Players in the Competition. 

Yeah, I hear ya. even if it's mostly match play, then I'd have to tackle rake-and-place in bunkers, drop one along the fence for OB, winter rules in July, free drop for lost ball, etc etc.  I can't really change the league, it's a good group of folks and they've been going on for 40+ years.  Me I'm learning the rules with goal of certifying, hence the "donut" question. Even things like switching balls after marking on the green (having hit an old ball over the water).

In a way, it's good, I get to see lots of situations, and I can figure in my mind how to deal with them, and enjoy the league.  FWIW, I play it much as I can straight up, exceptions being certain things the league doesn't allow, like going back and taking stroke and distance (we're walking, slows up play).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, flopster said:

On cooler days or early morning rounds I used to use hand warmers and hold them against my lower back so everything could stay loose.

Good for you but how does that relate to using weighted donuts? I use hand warmers all the time when it is cold, they are just great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Somewhat off the "Rules" but it does relate to weight donuts or weighted clubs.  Someone told me a study was done where players swung a weighted club and then hit balls versus other players who warmed up but did not swing a weighted club (or clubs).  The story goes that the players who swung a weighted club lost considerable distance (10% or more) for some time after.  Again the story related to me was that swinging a weight suppressed the "fast twitch" muscles and players lost swing and ball speed.  The conclusion was that it was good to swing a weighted club on days one was not playing but never do so prior to playing.

It is one of those stories that seems plausible but could also just be a product of someone with a good imagination.

Back to the rules!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...