IGNORED

Older Golfer

MDM
Note: This thread is 1248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need tips on how to adjust. As a golfer over 60, I envy the game that I used to have. I was a player who would easily make par when I was in my twenties. I recently picked up the game again after very many years and have become quite frustrated. The pain in my back does not allow me to turn properly. I never know how I'm going to hit the ball if I'm lucky enough to even hit it. (I often just whiff these days) When I do hit the ball, t's either a hook, fat, top, shank or a slice. There's zero consistency whatsoever. The problem is mostly with irons. I can still hit fairly well off the tee with a driver. What do I need to change? 

• Administrator

I doubt that you can't "turn" - particularly if you can hit driver. In thinking you can't turn, you may be needlessly complicating things and making too much of an arm swing.

Look, like many others will tell you, the best thing you can do is record your swing and start a Member Swing topic. You could be doing a hundred things.

Record it and let us see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the reply. Bear with me, how do I record my swing? Please forgive my complete ignorance. I'm new here.

On turning, I think you are correct. I'm able to turn somewhat off of the tee. It still hurts though. I'm probably less worried about a miss since the ball is higher.

Member's swings

BTW.. welcome to TST.   You'll find a wealth of great information and fellow golfers eager to help.   We're glad you've decided to join.

Edited by dennyjones
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

@MDM welcome. Im 68 and took about 10 years off during my 50's as my daughter played sports, grew up and attended college. When I took the hiatus I was playing at a 5-6 hcp level. When I returned I pretty quickly jumped to a 15-16 hcp level. For several years it seemed no matter what I did I couldn't get back to my old game - frustrated the hell out of me ( actually still does).  Based on great advice from other golfers on this site, I started working on stretching, short game and moving up to the senior tees. Signed up for lessons from a local PGA instructor and he helped me identify some bad habits that crept into my swing during the off period.

Net result, gotten my game back to a 12 hcp and really do believe I can get back to a 9-10 hcp next year. Being realistic about  impact of age and arthritis has helped with the mental side of the game. Key thought - never give up - keep playing whenever possible and enjoy the fact you are out on the course. Good Luck!!

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Welcome to the site!

The great thing about golf is that you can play it at every age, and enjoy it regardless of how well you score.  I’m 62, with all the aches and pains and issues that come along with that after a career in the military.  

My advice is to get out and play. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to take a lesson or two from a qualified instructor. But as others have said you can get some great advice and insight simply by taking advantage of the instructors on this forum and hanging about and chatting.  We all envy where we were when we were in our 20’s, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t enjoy the game just as much now!  :beer:

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Thanks everyone. I will be browsing and chatting on this forum, it looks like a great place to be. I had planned to take lessons this year but was unable because of restrictions. Hopefully next year.

I still enjoy playing and need to stop comparing my present game to the good old days. I'm able to make some good shots every once in a while. One thing that I think I might be doing is swinging too hard to make up for the age thing.

Thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...

Go out and find your 60+ game.  It will not be the one that you remember...but that is the cool part.  Letting go of the past is how we get to the present.  And it is good practice for the future.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Howdy, I'm 67 and started at 58. Hadn't played before.

Managed to get my game where I don't completely s--t the bed in public with strangers.

Couple of things that are helping me:

-started doing some pushups and planks every day. Just helps me stay somewhat stronger for the days 18 hole walk

-Doing some old man yoga everyday. Helps get rid of the aches and pains and really helps in the full swing

-Trying to walk at least 40 minutes every day

I've finally realized, that even after a bad round, I'm not going to lose my card. 

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and advice.

I played 18 the other day from the senior tees and did well. I made 4 pars and 3 birdies! I hit boogies on most of the other holes with 1 double boogey and a triple. I tried not to swing hard and used a shorter backswing. 

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!