IGNORED

Club Comp Entry

Rozz
Note: This thread is 1258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rules on club competition entry. I have played in around 100 competitions in my club, but recently I have struggled to book in. Example: if the date and time of entry was November 4th @ 9.00a.m. you have to book within 20 mins of this being open or you don’t get a slot as there are too many members. How can the order of merit and eclectics be valid when all the members are unable to play. I am 4th I order of merit currently, but as I can’t get a place in the next comp I will drop down through no fault of my own. Does anyone know the rules on this subject and if so which suffixes cover them?

• iacas changed the title to Club Comp Entry
  • Administrator

It’s not a Rule of Golf issue, but I’ll leave it in here for now.

It seems to me that this would be an issue that pertains only to one club. They make the rules so… what club? In what location?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All of the big event at my club fill up quickly.  Our last member/guest tournament filled up in four minutes.  

If it opens for registration at 7 AM on a specific date, I set an alarm and make sure that I call in or register online, whatever is required, at 7 AM exactly.  

The bottom line is, there is only so much room on the golf course at any given time so fields have to have some kind of limitation.  if you want to play, you need to do what all those other people are obviously doing who are getting into the events...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Rozz said:

How can the order of merit and eclectics be valid when all the members are unable to play. I am 4th I order of merit currently, but as I can’t get a place in the next comp I will drop down through no fault of my own.

How is failing to register not your fault?

My daughter won the Player of the Year award as a 12-year-old in the 12-14-year old US Kids Golf season mostly because the better players (the 14-year olds like Christina) didn't play as many events).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don’t think pga players would have the same disadvantage though. Imagine Bryson not being in a tournament because it’s first come first served rather than being based on everyone’s scores. I know we are only amateurs, but having results based on getting in first on entry nullifies any order of merit results from being based on scores to being based on whether you were able to register quickly enough. It takes it away from sport to who is registering first. Also I know a lot of people at the club register all their friends to, rather than each player booking as an individual.

Demand is exceeding supply. When you are the consumer in the situation, that's a rough deal.

Bet a lot of courses/golf clubs wished they had your club's problem. My club's club championship field was so small this year that the general public was teeing off by 10:30. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Rozz said:

I don’t think pga players would have the same disadvantage though. Imagine Bryson not being in a tournament because it’s first come first served rather than being based on everyone’s scores.

The facts of the matter:

• It is first come, first served.
  • You knew the entry time.
  • You failed to be one of the first x players to enter.

You're not a PGA Tour player. Guess what? They have an established entry order, too, and if you fail to commit to an event before Friday at I think 5pm, you don't get to play in those, either.

I know we are only amateurs, but having results based on getting in first on entry

That's not what happens, though - you still have to play the round.

If you cared so deeply about getting the chance to play, why didn't you do what was necessary to enter?

It takes it away from sport to who is registering first.

They still have to play, and they likely need to set a limit on the number of players they'll accept.

I don't know you at all, I don't live in the same country as you… I'm just telling you what I'm seeing. I get that you're disappointed, but to add you to the field would be unfair to those who followed the rules. You did this to yourself by failing to register in time.

1 hour ago, Rozz said:

I don’t think pga players would have the same disadvantage though. Imagine Bryson not being in a tournament because it’s first come first served rather than being based on everyone’s scores. I know we are only amateurs, 

LMAO......comparing a random club event to the PGA tour.....LOL.

Especially with Covid....courses are packed now......we couldn't find a 4some tee time this past weekend and there are 35+ public championship length courses here......a friend of a friend belongs to one of the exclusive privates here....it's so busy....members can only play 9 holes on Sat and Sun.

spacer.png

Still unfair though. Although you can’t judge an amateur comp against pga, the huge set of rigid rules we have to adhere to seem very one way to me. I say again how can you have a seasonal order of merit if a section of the club are unable to play? A sensible answer would maybe be to have people who couldn’t get on play the next day to get a full field. This could be considered unfair if weather conditions are different but they do change through each day anyway.

3 hours ago, Rozz said:

Rules on club competition entry. I have played in around 100 competitions in my club, but recently I have struggled to book in. Example: if the date and time of entry was November 4th @ 9.00a.m. you have to book within 20 mins of this being open or you don’t get a slot as there are too many members. How can the order of merit and eclectics be valid when all the members are unable to play. I am 4th I order of merit currently, but as I can’t get a place in the next comp I will drop down through no fault of my own. Does anyone know the rules on this subject and if so which suffixes cover them?

First of all, welcome to The Sand Trap!  When you get a chance, please fill out a bit more of your profile, so we can all read your comments with a bit more context.  

As has been said above, this isn't a Rules of Golf issue, its an issue for a single club's competition organizers.  While I can sympathize with your disappointment at being left out, I also see that you had a chance to register quickly, and didn't take it.  The organizers for the competitions absolutely MUST define the procedures for registration, which apparently they've done clearly, with specific date and time, and a specific limit to number of entrants, You should take your concerns (I hate to bring complaints to anyone, that always causes a bit of resistance) to the competition committee, or to the pro, or whichever group does the organization.  I think one of your points is definitely valid, each player should be required to register himself, rather than a single person performing registration for a bunch of guys.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

First of all, welcome to The Sand Trap!  When you get a chance, please fill out a bit more of your profile, so we can all read your comments with a bit more context.  

As has been said above, this isn't a Rules of Golf issue, its an issue for a single club's competition organizers.  While I can sympathize with your disappointment at being left out, I also see that you had a chance to register quickly, and didn't take it.  The organizers for the competitions absolutely MUST define the procedures for registration, which apparently they've done clearly, with specific date and time, and a specific limit to number of entrants, You should take your concerns (I hate to bring complaints to anyone, that always causes a bit of resistance) to the competition committee, or to the pro, or whichever group does the organization.  I think one of your points is definitely valid, each player should be required to register himself, rather than a single person performing registration for a bunch of guys.  

Thanks. Yep I will bring it up about the multiple entries. Got a reasonable understanding from all comments that this isn’t unique and we are living in strange times of course. Will set alarm for next few! Was only really interested if there were any rules governing it, but they seem to have been answered. 👍

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Rozz said:

Still unfair though.

How? Has anyone agreed with this yet?

Nobody broke the rules. They were fair. You’re asking for something that seems more unfair: that you’re standing grant you extra privileges.

13 hours ago, Rozz said:

Still unfair though.

How?

You had the same opportunity as everybody else to register for the competition. The only difference is, others did what they had to do in order to register in time. You didn’t.

Next time, rather than complaining, get off your butt and register within the first 20 minutes or whatever is necessary to get into the field. Just like those others did…

In David's bag....

So for those people who think it’s fair, if people were going on and registering all their friends, that’s good practice then. A lot of the people in the comp haven’t been up and registered at all because since this year you can put as many of your friends down with one entry as you like. Surely it should only be up to individuals to enter a singles comp.

1 hour ago, Rozz said:

So for those people who think it’s fair, if people were going on and registering all their friends, that’s good practice then. A lot of the people in the comp haven’t been up and registered at all because since this year you can put as many of your friends down with one entry as you like. Surely it should only be up to individuals to enter a singles comp.

It would seem like an odd thing to me that certain members would actually register for their friends. It never would have occurred to me to register for anyone other than myself. 

Still it would seem you club must have too many members if there is this sort of difficulty getting into competitions. Maybe the solution is to join a different club.

8 hours ago, Rozz said:

That doesn’t strike me as quite right, and might be something to address for future events, but it still remains that it took 20 minutes to close out the registration. Had you registered on time you would’ve made it easily…

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

• Administrator
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

That doesn’t strike me as quite right, and might be something to address for future events, but it still remains that it took 20 minutes to close out the registration. Had you registered on time you would’ve made it easily…

He apparently could have asked one of his friends to register for him. 🙂

On 11/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, Rozz said:

Still unfair though. Although you can’t judge an amateur comp against pga, the huge set of rigid rules we have to adhere to seem very one way to me.

Shouldn't you be speaking to the rules committee at your club? Perhaps they could set aside a certain number of slots for people like yourself, or allow them to register early.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G400 SFT driver @ 12 degrees

:ping: G410 3-wood @ 16 degrees, G410 7-wood @ 22 degrees, G410 5-hybrid @ 26 degrees,

:ping: G410 7, 8 & 9 irons, Glide 3.0 wedges @ 46, 52 & 58 degrees

:ping:  Craz-E [Platinum) putter

:cleveland: Smart Sole 4.0 C chipper

Note: This thread is 1258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!