IGNORED

Electric Remote Control Golf Carts

Note: This thread is 1252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm considering the purchase of a remote controlled electric golf cart sometime before the weather warms again. I'm back walking now - 12 holes so far - but thinking I could do better if I weren't pushing the golf cart. Yeah, I know, I could walk farther if I didn't spend so much energy swing the clubs so many times, too!

Anyway, I'm considering the Zip Navigator - I like the swiveling front wheels and several of the other features and it appears to be a quality cart but it's $400 more than the Bat Caddy X4R. Both have lithium batteries. I could rent a ride in cart for almost three years for the price of one of these things but I really do enjoy the walking - besides the obvious health benefits. So, anyone with experience with these carts, recommendations or other carts I should consider? Thanks.

You seem set on having a remote control trolley, have you used one before?  My wife has had one for a few years, and I've borrowed it once or twice.  To me, using the remote was pretty distracting, I ended up controlling the speed and direction manually.  So I recommend trying a remote control out before making a final decision.

If you choose not to get a remote control unit, the price goes down, and the selection gets wider.  I bought this one:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/accessories/qod_electric_golf_cart_review

more than two years ago, and have been very satisfied with it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The remote does take some time to get used to, but it becomes second nature after a short time. I have a Kangaroo Z Series, and it is very heavy, but very stable. It is also very expensive. My friend got an MGI from Costco, and rinsed it with a hose, and ruined it. It had specific directions NOT to do that. Thanks to Costco's liberal return policy, he was able to get a new one. Another friend has a Cart Tek manual electric, and that is a great cart. I have seen the remote version, and that is a great one, too. I played with a guy with a Bat Caddy, and he was not all that thrilled with it. I am able to store my cart at my club, but I would go with the Cart Tek, or MGI if I had to take it to the course every time. Those are about half the weight of the Kangaroo.

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

You seem set on having a remote control trolley, have you used one before?  My wife has had one for a few years, and I've borrowed it once or twice.  To me, using the remote was pretty distracting, I ended up controlling the speed and direction manually.  So I recommend trying a remote control out before making a final decision.

If you choose not to get a remote control unit, the price goes down, and the selection gets wider.  I bought this one:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/accessories/qod_electric_golf_cart_review

more than two years ago, and have been very satisfied with it.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I did look at the QOD and it looks like a good cart, as well. I am a bit enamored of the remote control option, though. I like the thought of not being "tied" to the cart all of the time. I think trying one out is a very good suggestion.

1 minute ago, Zippo said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I did look at the QOD and it looks like a good cart, as well. I am a bit enamored of the remote control option, though. I like the thought of not being "tied" to the cart all of the time. I think trying one out is a very good suggestion.

Yeah, my wife really prefers the remote, my preference is far from universal.  If you do go ahead with the remote unit, please be careful.  I have seen people "butt-control" their clubs into ponds while bending over to putt.  Keep a hand on the controls whenever you're near a problem spot, near water or bridges, near really steep slopes, or near other players.  And when you're not actively using the remote, take it out of your pocket to avoid accidents.

• Like 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

3 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

The remote does take some time to get used to, but it becomes second nature after a short time. I have a Kangaroo Z Series, and it is very heavy, but very stable. It is also very expensive. My friend got an MGI from Costco, and rinsed it with a hose, and ruined it. It had specific directions NOT to do that. Thanks to Costco's liberal return policy, he was able to get a new one. Another friend has a Cart Tek manual electric, and that is a great cart. I have seen the remote version, and that is a great one, too. I played with a guy with a Bat Caddy, and he was not all that thrilled with it. I am able to store my cart at my club, but I would go with the Cart Tek, or MGI if I had to take it to the course every time. Those are about half the weight of the Kangaroo.

Thank you. I looked the Kangaroo Z Series but see that, not only is it much more expensive but they additionally charge you for the battery. It also appears to have exposed wiring down in the lower section that would give me some concern.

What did your friend not like about the Bat Caddy?

I sent an email to MGI about the Zip Navigator and the amount of rain, wet grass and puddles we experience here in the PNW so I'll see what they say. Thanks for letting me know.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Thank you. I looked the Kangaroo Z Series but see that, not only is it much more expensive but they additionally charge you for the battery. It also appears to have exposed wiring down in the lower section that would give me some concern.

What did your friend not like about the Bat Caddy?

I sent an email to MGI about the Zip Navigator and the amount of rain, wet grass and puddles we experience here in the PNW so I'll see what they say. Thanks for letting me know.

He never was specific about what he didn't like. I thought it looked pretty good, but he said he didn't like it. Cart Tek is the way I would go if I had to do it again. I believe they have a remote cart that is priced about the same as the MGI. I also believe they are based in the PNW.

After a heart issue and getting two stents, I'm getting back to golf myself.  My wife really wanted me to get an electric push cart instead of using my previous regular push cart.  I got the MGI from Costco.  I do find the remote distracting but I've only used the cart 3 times.  Hopefully with more use I'll get to where I don't have to think about it.

What I've done is rent one cart for me and my wife and bring the MGI, we each walk nine.  But a nice way for me to ease into it, on the hills I hitch a ride with my wife and we follow the MGI up the hill (driving the MGI with the remote from the cart.

Thanks for the opinions and responses. I'm gonna continue mulling it over and see if I can find a way to try one out, too.

I did receive a quick response from MGI concerning my question about rain, wet grass and puddles and the ZIP Navigator:

"The Zip Navigator is definitely our flagship product and designed for more hilly and moderate terrain. It will withstand some rain and also the wet grass and puddles should be no problem.

The only real way that the product will be damaged is if it is submerged in water."

Nice of them to get back so quickly and I see that they do have a 2 year warranty...

10 hours ago, Zippo said:

Thanks for the opinions and responses. I'm gonna continue mulling it over and see if I can find a way to try one out, too.

I did receive a quick response from MGI concerning my question about rain, wet grass and puddles and the ZIP Navigator:

"The Zip Navigator is definitely our flagship product and designed for more hilly and moderate terrain. It will withstand some rain and also the wet grass and puddles should be no problem.

The only real way that the product will be damaged is if it is submerged in water."

Nice of them to get back so quickly and I see that they do have a 2 year warranty...

A lot of guys with remotes at my old course have put them in creeks. I always switch to the manual mode around water.

• Administrator

I’d just get a QOD or something. The manual ones still will send the car ahead for 10, 30, 60 seconds or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

A lot of guys with remotes at my old course have put them in creeks.

I've never used a motorized push cart, but I recently played a round with a couple who were using brand new remote control ones for the first time. I think they had a model that is available at Costco but I forget what they were. They both had a terrible time because they weren't accustomed to the cart's response to button presses on the remote. It was pretty hilarious watching it, and they were good sports about it and were able to laugh at themselves. About halfway through the round, they both realized that they should have test driven them around their yard before taking on course. Watching them struggle with the remote convinced me that the types like QOD would be my choice.

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

51 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Watching them struggle with the remote convinced me that the types like QOD would be my choice.

I have specifically chosen a non-remote trolley, but I know a fair number of players who use them and love them.  Its really an individual thing, and my experience shouldn't stop someone from at least giving the remote version a try.  But I'd strongly recommend that the trial happen prior to the purchase, no need to pay for the extra electronics if you're not going to feel comfortable using them.

Dave

• Administrator

If your course has slopes or hills or creeks/streams/bunkers, etc. then that is a point in favor of a non-remote, too, as you'll want to be with your cart most of the time anyway (except when you can send it 30 seconds ahead without any trouble).

You could also get…

ewheels_hero_white_background_fae62617-e

The only thing better than a golf push cart is an electric golf cart! Improve your game without burdening your body - check out the Alphard Club booster V2.

That has a remote control option and also a "follow" thing you can clip to your belt.

And it costs less.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I use the remote function a lot, but like I said, I use the manual near water, and also if the group is walking fairly close together. I don't want run into anybody with my cart. I like the remote, but I'd be just fine if I had bought a manual electric cart.

2 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I've never used a motorized push cart, but I recently played a round with a couple who were using brand new remote control ones for the first time. I think they had a model that is available at Costco but I forget what they were. They both had a terrible time because they weren't accustomed to the cart's response to button presses on the remote. It was pretty hilarious watching it, and they were good sports about it and were able to laugh at themselves. About halfway through the round, they both realized that they should have test driven them around their yard before taking on course. Watching them struggle with the remote convinced me that the types like QOD would be my choice.

The MGI Costco cart is a bit counterintuitive for both my wife and me.  The forward button is also an accelerator button, a tap will start it off at the speed of "2" a slow walk, two more taps and you're at "4" a fast walk.  But, it seems intuitive to hold that forward button down which quickly puts it at the max speed of "9" which could quickly crash it into a tree or a curb or a person etc.

Edited by No Mulligans
  • Like 1

One more thing about the remote- I thought I lost my remote, and I emailed Kangaroo to check on getting a new one. The replacement coat $150.00. I found my remote, but if I hadn't, my remote cart probably would have become a manual.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, iacas said:

If your course has slopes or hills or creeks/streams/bunkers, etc. then that is a point in favor of a non-remote, too, as you'll want to be with your cart most of the time anyway (except when you can send it 30 seconds ahead without any trouble).

You could also get…

ewheels_hero_white_background_fae62617-e

The only thing better than a golf push cart is an electric golf cart! Improve your game without burdening your body - check out the Alphard Club booster V2.

That has a remote control option and also a "follow" thing you can clip to your belt.

And it costs less.

Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely worth consideration. I like that it's fully waterproof. I like the hill holding brake.

10 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I have specifically chosen a non-remote trolley, but I know a fair number of players who use them and love them.  Its really an individual thing, and my experience shouldn't stop someone from at least giving the remote version a try.  But I'd strongly recommend that the trial happen prior to the purchase, no need to pay for the extra electronics if you're not going to feel comfortable using them.

Thanks. My local golf discount store carries a couple of models. I'll probably need to go in and give them a try.

15 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

A lot of guys with remotes at my old course have put them in creeks. I always switch to the manual mode around water.

One of the videos I watched showed a guy approaching a narrow bridge. He stopped the cart (it was the Alphord V2 model that @iacassuggested) , put it into freewheel mode, and pushed it across the bridge.

Note: This thread is 1252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!