IGNORED

I Was Chasing 80s, Now I'm Chasing 90s

BK124TT
Note: This thread is 1212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was shooting consistently in the low 90's. I tried to make a push into the 80's (only having shot in the 80's once in playing golf on and off for twenty plus years (however playing consistently for the last 4-5 years with golf tec lessons).

As soon as I "tried" breaking into the 80's I now find myself back in the low hundreds. I've actually added 10 strokes to my game. 

Very frustrating!

I'm open to suggestions. 

• woodzie264 changed the title to I Was Chasing The 80's & Now I'm Chasing The 90's

I’d check out the Instructional content:

Or the Breaking 90 thread 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to I Was Chasing 80s, Now I'm Chasing 90s

If you don’t have it already, I’d suggest purchasing a copy of Lowest Score Wins and implementing the approaches I the book. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

It's kind of hard to assess this question without more information. Where are you seeing the extra 10 strokes show up? Is it short game, off the tee trouble, 3 putting? An extra 9 shots is an average of  half a stroke per hole so they do sneak up in a hurry. If you are taking lessons now, remember that it is a process. 

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

2 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

...If you are taking lessons now, remember that it is a process. 

@TourSpoon is on the mark.  Learning a new swing takes time to unlearn the poor swing and learn the new.  I have been told it takes 6 months minimum for the body and brain to imprint the physical process of making a new swing.  Expect poor results for a fairly long time, with occasional flashes of brilliance as you incorporate the changes.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I have been told it takes 6 months minimum for the body and brain to imprint the physical process of making a new swing.

I've seen students change their swing, truly change it, in a month.

It depends on so much. How long they've been playing. How much they practice. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

It's kind of hard to assess this question without more information. Where are you seeing the extra 10 strokes show up? Is it short game, off the tee trouble, 3 putting? An extra 9 shots is an average of  half a stroke per hole so they do sneak up in a hurry. If you are taking lessons now, remember that it is a process. 

I've actually been taking lessons very inconsistently for a couple of years 

17 hours ago, BK124TT said:

As soon as I "tried" breaking into the 80's I now find myself back in the low hundreds.

What do you mean by this, tried breaking into the 80s?  Are you thinking of a number, right from the first tee?  If so, stop it, think of one shot on the first tee.  Not even a hole score ("I need to par this one"), think of hitting a normal solid first shot.  Chasing scores is seldom positive, preparing for each shot as an individual project often tends to produce good scores at the end of the day.

If you're taking lessons, make sure you practice properly to ingrain the changes that the lessons should produce.  Taking lessons is only a step in the process, good practice is an additional step.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

So its probably not a dramatic swing change we are talking here so where do you see the strokes adding up? A typical bogey golf hole for a par 4 would be an acceptable drive, approach somewhere near the green, chip/pitch on the green with 2 putts.  Given that scenario where do you see the breakdown? 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

8 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

So its probably not a dramatic swing change we are talking here so where do you see the strokes adding up? A typical bogey golf hole for a par 4 would be an acceptable drive, approach somewhere near the green, chip/pitch on the green with 2 putts.  Given that scenario where do you see the breakdown? 

I've thought about this answer for a bit. The bad shots are inconsistently showing up. Cant really narrow it down to a certain club. 

23 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

If you don’t have it already, I’d suggest purchasing a copy of Lowest Score Wins and implementing the approaches I the book. 

This.

Dude just play golf. If you have a consistent shot shape play it. Don’t think about score too much, stay out of the shit, call “The Zoo”. That kind of stuff. I’m trying to get down to scratch. I don’t add up my score until the end. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 11/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, BK124TT said:

I was shooting consistently in the low 90's. I tried to make a push into the 80's (only having shot in the 80's once in playing golf on and off for twenty plus years (however playing consistently for the last 4-5 years with golf tec lessons).

As soon as I "tried" breaking into the 80's I now find myself back in the low hundreds. I've actually added 10 strokes to my game. 

Very frustrating!

I'm open to suggestions. 

This describes me the past few years. Spend all summer in the 91-95 range chasing that 80s round and once I get it it’s like I lose my fire and am up shooting 98-105. Let me know if you figure it out!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Note: This thread is 1212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!