IGNORED

NHL 2020-21 (or just 2021)

iacas
Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

So I read about Braden Holtby's Thunderbird mask done by a Swedish guy and… I don't get why the people were upset. Holtby is still going to wear a Thunderbird mask but done by an indigenous artist, rather than a Swedish one. How is that not racism, too, to say "only a native can paint that" and "that Swedish guy is offending us by painting that thing that's ours."?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's plenty of pretty serious racism out there, but some people look for it where there is none there. Gist sort of seems to be that reference to Native Americans can not be from some one who isn't. That's the current standard in some people's eyes.

Here's what the mask looked like. 

Holtby apologizes, won't wear mask depicting thunderbird after criticism |  theScore.com

Edited by mcanadiens

• 3 weeks later...

Feeling very old today with the news that Zdeno Chara is leaving the Bruins.

Not that the guy hasn't been a pain in the ass for a very long time. He definitely has. I still had a full head of hair back when I'd get mad at him in the old days. Just a reminder that nothing lasts forever.

Figured some of those Pittsburgh people might appreciate this photo.

Longtime Bruins captain Zdeno Chara leaves for Capitals

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Longtime Bruins captain Zdeno Chara leaves for Capitals

Three Cups for the guy on the right in your pic.

Only one for the tall dude.

bruinscc002.jpg?w=620&f=1&nofb=1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Three Cups for the guy on the right in your pic.

Only one for the tall dude.

Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Guess I could have gone with some photos that hit closer to home. Chara only got a fine for this one on Gallagher I believe.

Bruins' Zdeno Chara fined for vicious cross-check to neck of Canadiens'  Brendan Gallagher

• Administrator

He was also the one who shoved the guy into that glass and broke his neck or something.

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

He was also the one who shoved the guy into that glass and broke his neck or something.

Yeah. That's the one.  Max ended up with a severe concussion a broken vertebrae. Obviously, he was able to come back from that and has had a very productive career.

NHL, with Mike Murphy calling the shots back then, did not fine or suspend Chara here. They basically said that Chara made a hockey play (no targeting the head or leaving his feet), so there was no basis for further punishment than the interference penalty he got. 

Of course, if that stanchion hadn't been a factor, the result would have been much different. 

Edited by mcanadiens

I still don't know if I like or hate Chara coming to the Cap's, I guess time will tell.

Gus
---------------

14 minutes ago, JGus said:

I still don't know if I like or hate Chara coming to the Cap's, I guess time will tell.

Its a one-year $795K contact, which in the NHL world is essentially a no-risk contract. 

Playing the role he does, I think he can still be effective. The interesting thing will be how he meshes with the team's established leadership. Chara's used to leading the Bruins, so how he ends up working with his new teammates could be as important. It could be a real boon since the Caps haven't had that veteran presence on the blueline since Orpik left. 

Really it might be just the thing the Caps need. If it doesn't work out, they haven't really lost much in the effort.

Edited by mcanadiens

13 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Its a one-year $795K contact, which in the NHL world is essentially a no-risk contract. 

Playing the role he does, I think he can still be effective. The interesting thing will be how he meshes with the team's established leadership. Chara's used to leading the Bruins, so how he ends up working with his new teammates could be as important. It could be a real boon since the Caps haven't had that veteran presence on the blueline since Orpik left. 

Really it might be just the thing the Caps need. If it doesn't work out, they haven't really lost much in the effort.

Agree on the no risk part, and the meshing with the team I think is the key piece here.  I'm not to worried about bumping heads on the leadership side, I think he knows what his role is.  If he meshes well I think it will be great for the team, now if they could just learn how to manage and keep the right goalies...

Gus
---------------

• Administrator

Yeah, unfortunately the Pens have a big blue “PPG” logo on their helmets.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy oh boy is it starting to look ugly over in Columbus. 

To catch things up. Pierre Luc Dubois signs a contact, promptly requests a trade and now has 1 goal in 5 games. CBJ coach John Tortorella benched him for the final two periods of a loss to Tampa Bay last night. 

Torts after the game: “I’m just a coach … trying to make it work with a hockey club, trying to find a way to win games,” Tortorella said. “The person that you keep talking to me about? You should ask him.” 

I hate to think about what this is doing to any trade value the CBJ might get for him now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so to catch up the CBJ. 

Dubois gets traded for Laine. Four games into his tenure with the CBJ, Torts plants him on the bench. 

Got to admit one thing about old JT. He's consistent.

a4833807-ec61-4aed-a830-b5de54c9632f-cbj

According to sources, Jackets coach John Tortorella benched Patrik Laine on Monday for an interaction with one of his assistant coaches off the ice

• Administrator

Sometimes JT goes too far, but at the same time, sometimes coaches coddle players way too much.

An NHL source said Laine “mouthed off” to one of the Blue Jackets’ assistant coaches, and another source with knowledge of the situation confirmed that account. It’s unknown what Laine said, or whom he said it to, but whatever it was prompted head coach John Tortorella to keep the team’s newly acquired star stuck to the bench in a 2-2 game.

On that, I say good for Torts.

Meanwhile, because of the Devils, the Pens have played one game in the last week and a half.

• 1 month later...

Meanwhile, six weeks later, the Oilers were red hot, cooled off ( damn you Toronto!), got somewhat hot again and now are idle due to one Montreal player contracting COVID.  I'm getting thrashed in my weekly fantasy hockey pool this week.  I sure hope one of my four players ( neither of them are named MacDavid or Draisaitl) can save my bacon on Saturday night.

Corey

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Man, Tom Wilson just can't help himself.

He's not just a goon, but he undermines his actual ability when he pulls stupid shit like this.

He should be out for awhile. But it's the NHL, and they don't care about protecting their stars, so he'll probably end up with a small fine or something.

Sickening.

Play f***ing hockey, not whatever stupid shit this is.

Wilson was suspended earlier this season.

Haven't read this yet but am about to:

tom-wilson.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=12

Enough is enough. Tom Wilson should be banned for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Never mind. I hadn't seen this.

Pathetic.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!