IGNORED

Work Out Routine (Exercise for Golf)

Brooklyn
Note: This thread is 5067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I work out primarily to loose weight. I am down 45 lbs since the beginning of the year.

well done, strong work.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input on yoga guys. Looks like I'll be looking for a class.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

I focus on shoulders, core, and stretching. When I play, I walk to keep my legs in shape. I also walk or jog 2-3x per week. I do think it helps. If you are drawing your conclusions based on Fuzzy Zoellers current physique; I think that can be a bit skewed, he plays every day. For the average Joe that sits behind a desk the majority of the time, finding a balance between playing, practicing, and exercise is a recipe for improvement.

Good luck,
-Beane

* mostly to stay in shape and feel better, have better energy
* but also so I can surf better, cycle better, help out with golf too, and keep up with my kids and dog

I was never a gym rat, but after 45, I really started to find being a weekend warrior, and sporadic weather/tide/wind dependent sports was just not enough to keep it together physically/ needed a lot more upkeep during the week.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

For the average person, you have to ease into this kind of training or you will end up over training and most likely injure yourself.

In the bag
Driver - Burner 460cc with Balistik Stiff Shaft
Hybrid Adams A4 3i
Hybrid Adams Golf Tight Lies 4 utility
Irons - Adams Golf Tight Lies 5-SW CG 12 52 degree 58 degree spin milled Classic #2 Putter

For the average person, you have to ease into this kind of training or you will end up over training and most likely injure yourself.

I guess you could say that, but not really. You just don't do ALL the exercises, and you don't always do the prescribed weights. Very few people can do a muscle up (myself included) but there are other things you can do to lead up to that. My gym actually does crossfit workouts but excludes some of the exercises such as the muscle up. For those (myself included) who can't do the workout of the day (WOD) there are tons of other crossfit workouts that the average person can handle, even novices.

The main thing I like about crossfit is that it is an ALL AROUND program. If you only try to isolate certain areas I think you are cheating yourself. As with ANY workout program, especially ones involving weights, you should have a certified personal trainer demonstrate each exercise for you. If you do the exercises wrong, I agree with "Phi" that you could most definitely injure yourself.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Anyone , Yoga ?
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Anyone , Yoga ?

I think Yoga is great. I haven't done that much of it, but prefer the Bikram (hot) Yoga. Stretching and flexibility is really important, plus they do a lot of stuff supporting your own body weight. The only reason I don't do it is because of the cost, plus I can't hear what they are saying half the time.

If I could afford a private session once a week I would do it!

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I am a former amateur body-builder, so I work out to work out, and I think that's the mindset you have to have; it should become second nature regardless of your originally motivation for starting a fitness program.

In the long run, it will improve your golf game by making you a more fit and disciplined person.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• 2 months later...
I have no problem with others who work out, but I'd rather take a good beating myself.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I played football through my college years. The endless amount of heavy squats and hang cleans have done WONDERS for my golf game...126 MPH swing speed-but not always straight :)

If you can physically do it, lift heavy. Do all core exercises with compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench, and overhead presses. Lift heavy for strength and employ a vigorous flexiblility program and you will literaly see your golf game take off!

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

The donut-presses, cheese-fry deadlifts, and sweet tea keg lift-and-chugs do wonders for the golf game.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

The donut-presses, cheese-fry deadlifts, and sweet tea keg lift-and-chugs do wonders for the golf game.

And for your slowly regressing life span as well.

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

I go to the gym 3 nights a week and always try to get in 20-30 mins of cardio to start my work out. If I dont go straight to the treadmill or bike, I wolnt do it after a lift. I used to lift heavy playing HS football for a nationally ranked team. Lifting 330lbs on teh bench press doesnt get me pumped anymore. I just like to use the cable machines and get in some dumbell curls. I HATE doing lower body work outs. Im usually in the gym for about 45 mins before I get bored and call it a night.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours 4 - 5 times a week in the gym for me.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

prior to injury: circuit training 3-4 times a week. cardio 5-6 times a week. stretch everyday.

Driver: 907D2 10.5°
3Wood: 906F 15°
Hybrid: 585H 21°
Irons: 660 (4-P)
Wedges: Black SM52°, SM56°, SM60°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

• 6 months later...
How do you guys go to the gym and continue to be limber enough to continue to play golf on a regular basis. I know there are a lot of PGA players that do so, namely, Tiger and Camilo, but just wondering how anybody else does this without a personal trainer for assistance. I find that sometimes my back is too sore for golf.

Note: This thread is 5067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!