IGNORED

Cart Bags and Old Course Push Carts?

woodzie264
Note: This thread is 1178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’m slated to get my Scotland bucket list trip done in June 2022 prior to the Open. I’ll be doing the St Andrews Old & New Courses, Carnoustie, Royal Troon, Kingsbarn, and Turnberry. My question is: because I generally use a larger cart bag, will I need to bring a smaller hoofer bag to use with their push carts, or will the push carts accommodate a larger cart bag? I don’t want the caddie struggling with things since keeping his eye on my ball will be work enough 😒

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Bring a smaller bag for any number of reasons

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't remember a caddie at the Old Course using a trolley, so bringing a carry bag would be doing them a favor.  I did see caddies at other places taking a trolley of they're carrying double, but they don't double-bag at the Old Course. The trolleys I do remember all had wide "jaws", so any bag will fit, but if you're going to push it yourself you'll want to have a lighter bag.  Take a couple if bungee cords to secure your bag.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

@woodzie264, bring this bag.

58799FD8-C0B0-43BA-B258-5D118E6BE0C6.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, boogielicious said:

@woodzie264, bring this bag.

58799FD8-C0B0-43BA-B258-5D118E6BE0C6.jpeg

That does look pretty sweet 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 3 weeks later...

My son and I went to St. Andrew's in July 2017 for 8 days.  We played New, Jubilee, Eden and Castle and Duke's along with the Old Course after getting up at 4AM and standing in line for the lottery.  We were 25th and 26th in the Old Course lottery which I remember well and we didn't get a tee time until around 4:30 in the afternoon. This I also remember because I sent an email to the people I work with and had them go on the St. Andrews Links Webcam to watch us on the first tee.  Also we were paired with a father and son who lived 2 hours south of our home and we actually had a mutual friend which was great.  But back to the issue of the golf bag.  My son carried his school bag for all 7 rounds we played and I used a push cart (trolley) at all the courses with my hoofer bag.  Our foursome had a forecaddie at the Old Course because as we teed off so late in the day all the caddies were either on the course or finished looping for the day and went home.  So what we found was having the smaller bag was better for the golf but not as safe for the shipping.  Get a good sturdy airline travel bag and you will be OK.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/27/2021 at 5:49 PM, Bear0906 said:

My son and I went to St. Andrew's in July 2017 for 8 days.  We played New, Jubilee, Eden and Castle and Duke's along with the Old Course after getting up at 4AM and standing in line for the lottery.  We were 25th and 26th in the Old Course lottery which I remember well and we didn't get a tee time until around 4:30 in the afternoon. This I also remember because I sent an email to the people I work with and had them go on the St. Andrews Links Webcam to watch us on the first tee.  Also we were paired with a father and son who lived 2 hours south of our home and we actually had a mutual friend which was great.  But back to the issue of the golf bag.  My son carried his school bag for all 7 rounds we played and I used a push cart (trolley) at all the courses with my hoofer bag.  Our foursome had a forecaddie at the Old Course because as we teed off so late in the day all the caddies were either on the course or finished looping for the day and went home.  So what we found was having the smaller bag was better for the golf but not as safe for the shipping.  Get a good sturdy airline travel bag and you will be OK.

Use the bag stick and any bag works to travel.  

I feel like when I used to caddy I would hear stories from other clubs where if you showed up with too heavy of a bag, the club would have lighter bags and  put what you needed for your round in the lighter bag.  

—Adam

On 1/11/2021 at 6:25 AM, woodzie264 said:

I’m slated to get my Scotland bucket list trip done in June 2022 prior to the Open. I’ll be doing the St Andrews Old & New Courses, Carnoustie, Royal Troon, Kingsbarn, and Turnberry. My question is: because I generally use a larger cart bag, will I need to bring a smaller hoofer bag to use with their push carts, or will the push carts accommodate a larger cart bag? I don’t want the caddie struggling with things since keeping his eye on my ball will be work enough 😒

Use a caddie if you can, it is part of the enjoyment of the trip.  Caddies at St. Andrews are good.  Get a reservation to eat at the Russell Hotel.  Just a couple of blocks east of the course along the water.  Dunvegans is a must, just up the street.  If you can, play Kingsbarn when the tide is in.  Sounds like a good trip.  My son and I will be there for the Open and knocking off the English courses in the rota.  

Edit:  forgot to mention another plus for the caddies, they know the best places to eat.  

Edited by Birdieputt
forgot a point
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Birdieputt said:

Use a caddie if you can, it is part of the enjoyment of the trip.  Caddies at St. Andrews are good.  Get a reservation to eat at the Russell Hotel.  Just a couple of blocks east of the course along the water.  Dunvegans is a must, just up the street.  If you can, play Kingsbarn when the tide is in.  Sounds like a good trip.  My son and I will be there for the Open and knocking off the English courses in the rota.  

Thanks man, I’ll definitely look those places up. First time playing real links courses and look forward to shooting a 105 in the pouring rain in 30mph winds (this is what I invision 😏)

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 1178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!