IGNORED

Bought a New Car (Mazda CX-5 Signature)

iacas

2 hours ago, billchao said:

To be fair, Nissan’s CVT is bad. I’m not saying I like CVTs, but your wife ended up with the worst possible one.

~35 mpg. Google is your friend 😜

True. But the CVT in my 16 Forester also died at just under 59,800 miles.

It was covered under warranty, which was great, but at that point I was ready to go to something different.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/31/2021 at 8:27 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Great choice, brother. 

My wife is planning on getting the same thing. 
I've been driving a 2015 Mazda6 (with a proper transmission) since the end of 2014. I'm going to drive that until the doors fall off. Super comfortable, gets almost 40 miles to the gallon, has a proper transmission, very low maintenance, it's been paid off for about 3 years now. Plus, it's blue. BTW- I can easily fit 2 sets of clubs in the trunk. I've had 4 sets in there, but we had to pull the drivers out and lay them on top just in case. 9 times out of 10 there's just my clubs and my ClicGear 3.5+ in the trunk. 

Anyway, I think you made a good choice. 

So, my awesome 2015 Mazda6 (with a proper transmission) and I had to part ways. I was driving back from seeing a customer about 2 weeks ago and suddenly all of my electronics went blank. Even the speedometer and all the gauges just suddenly stopped working. The car was still motoring along, but the power steering assist stopped. I drove about 4 miles or so on the highway thinking what to do, then I took an exit ramp and pulled over on the ramp. Warning flashers still worked so I turned those on and popped the hood. I thought perhaps the battery had somehow disconnected. (I had personally replaced the battery about a month back.) 

Anyway, I couldn't find anything that looked wrong so I got back in and tried to start it. Nothing. Fortunately the ramp was slanted and it's a proper transmission, so I roll started it. Drove it with not gauges to the nearest parking lot and called a tow truck through my insurance company. 

Gist of the story... I snapped my serpentine belt. So the alternator, the steering pump, several other things wouldn't function. I also had a cracked tie-rod, which really needed replacing. (Should always do both sides.) I was already about 5K miles past needing new tires. I needed new brakes, a few other things here and there. Yes, I could have had it fixed but we would have been looking at close to $10K to get everything done. I bought the car in 2014 and it had about 209 thousand miles on it. 

So... I ended up getting a new Mazda CX-50. 

3 things:

1. The Mazda was the best option because they gave me full Kelly-Blue-Book value on my trade even without me paying to get it all repaired. Everybody else would have given me what ever their minimum trade value was, or I could fix it first then trade it. Which if I was going to fix it, I would have just kept it. 
  2. I had planned to keep driving my Mazda6 for another 90K miles. To this point I had literally put no money into it other than standard oil changes, brakes, tires and batteries. I can't complain at all about that car. (And I do love driving a proper transmission, so I'll miss that.) 
  3. The CX-5 and the CX-50 are very similar in size, mileage, space, and price. The CX-50 felt a tinge roomier. 

IMG_20230412_134407265_HDR.thumb.jpg.3f3c1450858d42cf0dea0e8826e13c3f.jpg

There are only two drawbacks I can see.

This all happened just before and just after Easter weekend. So, my clubs were locked up in the trunk of my old car for about a week. 

The car's made in Huntsville Alabama so the radio only gets either Auburn Tigers or Crimson Tide radio.... 🤣

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, my awesome 2015 Mazda6 (with a proper transmission) and I had to part ways. I was driving back from seeing a customer about 2 weeks ago and suddenly all of my electronics went blank. Even the speedometer and all the gauges just suddenly stopped working. The car was still motoring along, but the power steering assist stopped. I drove about 4 miles or so on the highway thinking what to do, then I took an exit ramp and pulled over on the ramp. Warning flashers still worked so I turned those on and popped the hood. I thought perhaps the battery had somehow disconnected. (I had personally replaced the battery about a month back.) 

Anyway, I couldn't find anything that looked wrong so I got back in and tried to start it. Nothing. Fortunately the ramp was slanted and it's a proper transmission, so I roll started it. Drove it with not gauges to the nearest parking lot and called a tow truck through my insurance company. 

Gist of the story... I snapped my serpentine belt. So the alternator, the steering pump, several other things wouldn't function. I also had a cracked tie-rod, which really needed replacing. (Should always do both sides.) I was already about 5K miles past needing new tires. I needed new brakes, a few other things here and there. Yes, I could have had it fixed but we would have been looking at close to $10K to get everything done. I bought the car in 2014 and it had about 209 thousand miles on it. 

So... I ended up getting a new Mazda CX-50. 

3 things:

1. The Mazda was the best option because they gave me full Kelly-Blue-Book value on my trade even without me paying to get it all repaired. Everybody else would have given me what ever their minimum trade value was, or I could fix it first then trade it. Which if I was going to fix it, I would have just kept it. 
  2. I had planned to keep driving my Mazda6 for another 90K miles. To this point I had literally put no money into it other than standard oil changes, brakes, tires and batteries. I can't complain at all about that car. (And I do love driving a proper transmission, so I'll miss that.) 
  3. The CX-5 and the CX-50 are very similar in size, mileage, space, and price. The CX-50 felt a tinge roomier. 

IMG_20230412_134407265_HDR.thumb.jpg.3f3c1450858d42cf0dea0e8826e13c3f.jpg

There are only two drawbacks I can see.

This all happened just before and just after Easter weekend. So, my clubs were locked up in the trunk of my old car for about a week. 

The car's made in Huntsville Alabama so the radio only gets either Auburn Tigers or Crimson Tide radio.... 🤣

Does it have that new car smell? Congratulations.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Does it have that new car smell? Congratulations.

It does. But funnily enough my daughter doesn't like the new car smell. ... Kids?

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yes, I could have had it fixed but we would have been looking at close to $10K to get everything done

This is when I appreciate my brothers.  One is a parts manager and the other a mechanic at Ford dealerships.  Not only do I get discounts when buying but discounted parts & free labor if out of warranty.  That is why I still have my 1999 Expedition.  It does not look great but it runs.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I have to do something with my car. I have a leased Honda with only 14500 miles on it after three years. So, I will have some equity. I don't really want to buy it but I'm not sure I'll have any other options with price of a new car/lease etc. I absolutely hate dealing with the purchase of a car. Nothing more time consuming than that. No matter what deal I get, I feel like I got screwed. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

14 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I feel like I got screwed. 

I can appreciate that.

14 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Nothing more time consuming than that. 

I actually did this one entirely from my office. I had everything done by last Wednesday morning. I was going to wait until Friday to pick it up. But dealer guy's like we'll send a courtesy car to come get you. So they picked me up at 11AM. I went there signed 2 papers. I was back home by 12:30. 

With all the forms and stuff being electronic now there's a lot less that you have to show up and sit around for. 

21 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I have to do something with my car. I have a leased Honda with only 14500 miles on it after three years. So, I will have some equity. I don't really want to buy it but I'm not sure I'll have any other options with price of a new car/lease etc. I absolutely hate dealing with the purchase of a car. Nothing more time consuming than that. No matter what deal I get, I feel like I got screwed. 

I'm assuming a 3 year lease with @ 30,000 miles allowed.  Your buyout price should be well below its value.  Knowing you hate to deal with the effort of buying and re-selling yourself I will not recommend you buy it but that is what I would do - Buy it then sell for a profit.  You can talk to a dealer and they may give you extra towards a new purchase as opposed to a simple lease turn-in.

One thing you should remember is "Six degrees of separation".  Talk to your friends, family, etc. and you may find they know someone at a dealership that will treat you fairly.  Once you are dealing with an honest person, then they just do the paperwork and you review/sign.  It is really not that hard.....once you have the honest person on the other end.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

No matter what deal I get, I feel like I got screwed. 

I don't ever really have that feeling.

It's so easy these days to see what things cost, options at other places, etc.

I typically test drive a few cars. Narrow it down to the model and/or configurations I want, then the colors, then negotiate from there by emailing everyone within about two hours and saying "I'm looking at getting this car. What's the best you can offer?" I sometimes mention my trade-in, and I know what that is worth.

I get what I consider a "good" to "great" deal before leaving.

My wife is the same. She'll say "here's my price, meet this and you have a deal." and sticks to it.

Like her, I choose my best option… and always keep a second or third. I've never needed it, though. But I'm prepared to move if needed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, StuM said:

I'm assuming a 3 year lease with @ 30,000 miles allowed.  Your buyout price should be well below its value.  Knowing you hate to deal with the effort of buying and re-selling yourself I will not recommend you buy it but that is what I would do - Buy it then sell for a profit.  You can talk to a dealer and they may give you extra towards a new purchase as opposed to a simple lease turn-in.

One thing you should remember is "Six degrees of separation".  Talk to your friends, family, etc. and you may find they know someone at a dealership that will treat you fairly.  Once you are dealing with an honest person, then they just do the paperwork and you review/sign.  It is really not that hard.....once you have the honest person on the other end.

Yes, it looks like that's what I am going to do. Either keep it or trade it after I buy it. Still not looking forward to it. Plus, I have to do it soon.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator

Also, @ChetlovesMer, the CX-50 is a wider, longer, but shorter CX-5. The CX-5 actually has a bit more room inside for passengers.

2023-Mazda-CX-50-Long-Term-100.jpg

What separates the Mazda CX-50 from the CX-5 besides a zero? MotorTrend has thoroughly driven both SUVs and found pros and cons on each.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Welp.. am wondering if my days of a full size SUV will be over soon with my oldest about to fly the nest in a year and a half. If so, I will consider the CX-50/5 but the Sub Outback still first choice for replacement as I will need a solid proven mountain climber.

My 10-year old Durango has 250K+ miles and although the hemi is still rolling stoutly through her Cinderella years I am thinking I have another year or so before bigger expenses. I will cry the day I see her go though. 

I love working the dealership trades. I might be in the minority. Wife can't stand the thought of stepping into a dealership even to test drive let alone purchase one. I guess it's a mental block but yeah, it seems they really have cut down the hassle of buying/trading compared to a decade ago.  

Vishal S.

9 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I love working the dealership trades. I might be in the minority. Wife can't stand the thought of stepping into a dealership even to test drive let alone purchase one. I guess it's a mental block but yeah, it seems they really have cut down the hassle of buying/trading compared to a decade ago.

Definitely less hassle these days.  It is so easy to pre-shop on-line to know what options/packages you want and then just price-shop that configuration.  A good salesperson will know you did your homework and give you a fair offer without playing any games. 

Fortunately for me it is even easier, as long as I stay with Ford.  I just give them one of my brother's PIN numbers (and supporting documentation) and I get the same D-Plan pricing no matter what dealership I go to.  The discounted price is set by Ford at $100 above the "A-Plan" pricing for actual employees/retirees.  It does lock me in to Ford but there are worse things in life than that.

Stuart M.

18 minutes ago, StuM said:

Fortunately for me it is even easier, as long as I stay with Ford.  I just give them one of my brother's PIN numbers (and supporting documentation) and I get the same D-Plan pricing no matter what dealership I go to.  The discounted price is set by Ford at $100 above the "A-Plan" pricing for actual employees/retirees.  It does lock me in to Ford but there are worse things in life than that.

Ahh.. man I am envious! That is cool.

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

"I'm looking at getting this car. What's the best you can offer?"

Yup this is how I buy new cars, too. My attitude is, “This is exactly what I want. If you want to sell me a car, you have to sell me this one and beat another dealer’s offer.”

My CX-9 is all wheel drive. I didn’t want the all wheel drive and I told the dealership I didn’t want to pay the difference in price from the front wheel drive, so if they ended up giving me some extras I wanted anyway for free to make up the difference.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 minute ago, billchao said:

Yup this is how I buy new cars, too. My attitude is, “This is exactly what I want. If you want to sell me a car, you have to sell me this one and beat another dealer’s offer.”

My CX-9 is all wheel drive. I didn’t want the all wheel drive and I told the dealership I didn’t want to pay the difference in price from the front wheel drive, so if they ended up giving me some extras I wanted anyway for free to make up the difference.

To build on that… I ask for what I want, and make clear what I don't want and thus don't value. The worst they can do is say "no."

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Also, @ChetlovesMer, the CX-50 is a wider, longer, but shorter CX-5. The CX-5 actually has a bit more room inside for passengers.

2023-Mazda-CX-50-Long-Term-100.jpg

What separates the Mazda CX-50 from the CX-5 besides a zero? MotorTrend has thoroughly driven both SUVs and found pros and cons on each.

Hey thanks for the information. I actually liked both cars a lot. My wife is probably going to get the CX-5 here soon. 

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't ever really have that feeling.

It's so easy these days to see what things cost, options at other places, etc.

I agree with this take. There is tons of information out there.