IGNORED

Beginner Golf Bag Setup. Input Welcome!

Note: This thread is 1163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a beginner golfer and carry my 7 iron 135yards.
My bag currently looks like this..
10.5*driver
17*hl 3w
21* 5w
18* 2hybrid
24* 4hybrid
27* 5 hybrid
7i-pw
52* GW
56* SW
60* LW

I recently replaced my 21* 3hybrid when i added the 3w as i wanted another option off the tee really, my yardage gaps are pretty good,i just wonder if i am too top heavy with my set up? I hit my 5w very well and so dont want to take it out,whereas i like my 2h out the rough and as a more penetrating ball flight.
I dont carry a 6 iron as i hit my 7 iron just as far and my 5 hybrid can cover that distance gap.
Any thoughts would be great...

1 hour ago, Ammers2021 said:

10.5*driver
17*hl 3w
21* 5w
18* 2hybrid
24* 4hybrid
27* 5 hybrid
7i-pw
52* GW
56* SW
60* LW

I recently replaced my 21* 3hybrid when i added the 3w as i wanted another option off the tee really, my yardage gaps are pretty good,i just wonder if i am too top heavy with my set up? I hit my 5w very well and so dont want to take it out,whereas i like my 2h out the rough and as a more penetrating ball flight.
I dont carry a 6 iron as i hit my 7 iron just as far and my 5 hybrid can cover that distance gap.

Plus a putter of course!

2 hours ago, Ammers2021 said:

10.5*driver
17*hl 3w
21* 5w
18* 2hybrid
24* 4hybrid
27* 5 hybrid
7i-pw
52* GW
56* SW
60* LW

I think your set make up looks fine. I do not at all think you are too top heavy. You may get varied opinions on this but I think as long as you have a club which you feel confident you can use from a greenside bunker, you have what you need at the bottom end. Beginning golfers aren't likely to pull off a lot of flop shots, so simple chipping is probably way more important. If you can chip with a few of the clubs at the bottom end, that's probably fine. 

1 hour ago, Ammers2021 said:

Plus a putter of course!

Dang, you beat me to it. I was going to jokingly suggest a putter. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST.    We're glad you've decided to join.    As a beginning golfer, you'll get all kinds of volunteer help about your clubs and your swing.    Here, you'll get some very knowledgeable help to give you direction to help your game.    

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those, but if you're happy with the gapping of your clubs, that's all that matters.   Each golfer is different and what I use may not work for you or anybody different.   

Are you in an area that is warm enough to golf now?   

Take a look around, enjoy the forum.   You'll find warm and welcoming people willing to help

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Thanks for the input guys,appreciate it. Unfortunately im in the uk so golf courses currently shut which is annoying. Its given me a chance to hit some balls in a practice net,and also time to think about my yardages and set makeup before i get into it....hence my forum questiom.Currently have only played 6 rounds.is it unusual not to have a 6 iron in the bag and do i have too many hybrids? Will a 2hybrid go further than a 5 wood? Thats the only club i dont knoe my distance for..

My older set had a 6 hybrid.   Some standard iron sets end at 7 some at 6, others at a 5 or lower.   Unless you try different clubs, I believe only you will be able to answer your question.    Per your question regarding the 2H vs 5W,  the 2H has a stronger loft but the 5W has a longer shaft.   Until you can get some real life numbers, it's difficult to say. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Seem to get on quite well with the lob..which is a cleveland cg10

Got a real mixture of brands to be honest,i picked them all up 2nd hand.

Wilson dd6 driver

Taylormade rbz stage1 3w

Ben ross vt xtreme 5w

My hybrids are md golf superstrong 2h 4h, and masters mcz 5h

King Cobra oversize ii irons

Gw ben ross zip it

Sw i bought new wilson harmonized

And a new pinemeadow pgx putter.

Looking forward to getting back out there now and getting proprly going as only played 6 rounds in total since started in early december.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:37 PM, Ammers2021 said:

Wilson dd6 driver

Taylormade rbz stage1 3w

Ben ross vt xtreme 5w

Gw ben ross zip it

Looking forward to getting back out there now and getting proprly going as only played 6 rounds in total since started in early december.

Wow, you certainly have a mix of brands but hey if they work for you I wouldn't change them. I too am waiting to get back out there but this winter is a bitch, can't even get to the range here in NY.

@cooke119 a few more days of 40 plus weather and rain and the snow will be gone.   I know off topic sorry. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

On 2/14/2021 at 1:37 PM, Ammers2021 said:

Wilson dd6 driver

Taylormade rbz stage1 3w

Ben ross vt xtreme 5w

Gw ben ross zip it

@Ammers2021 Are the shafts all similar flex?  Additionally, are all "Standard" length shafts (or all 1/2" long or 1/2" short, etc.)?  Consistency across the set will contribute to your consistency.

Oh, and Welcome to TST

Edited by StuM
  • Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Yes all regular flex,i swing a driver between 93mph and 95mph,so as far as i am aware the regular flex is the right fit.all standard length clubs.

Yeh i appreciate i have a real mix,i intended to get used clubs from reputable manufacturers then see how i got on with them first and if i gravitated to a certain brand,hence such a broad range. I think i got carried away on ebay, every time i looked i seemed to pick up another club! All good fun though!

I originally had trouble knowing my distances so would hesitate subconciously thinking i would hit the ball too far,so i bought a low end launch monitor and a used gps watch which have really helped me with club selection so i can strike the ball knowing if i hit it well it should go reasonably close.

13 minutes ago, Ammers2021 said:

Yes all regular flex,i swing a driver between 93mph and 95mph,so as far as i am aware the regular flex is the right fit.all standard length clubs.

Yeh i appreciate i have a real mix,i intended to get used clubs from reputable manufacturers then see how i got on with them first and if i gravitated to a certain brand,hence such a broad range. I think i got carried away on ebay, every time i looked i seemed to pick up another club! All good fun though!

I originally had trouble knowing my distances so would hesitate subconciously thinking i would hit the ball too far,so i bought a low end launch monitor and a used gps watch which have really helped me with club selection so i can strike the ball knowing if i hit it well it should go reasonably close.

To me it sounds like you should be OK with your set.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, weil2020 said:

What's right is the best

That's pretty vague.   If there was a "best" every professional golfer would be playing the same set of clubs.   Each professional player plays what's best for them.     Since @Ammers2021 is a new golfer, spending a ton of money on the "best" wouldn't be wise choice.   Of course, after awhile a different set of clubs may be an option.   

Note: This thread is 1163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!