IGNORED

MLB Strike Zone Box Graphic

Billy Z

MLB strike zone box  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the strike zone box graphic imposed on your tv for viewing?

• No, I am a sports fan that doesn't need this gimmicky graphic to let me know balls and strikes!
    • Yes, it is sort of cool, it helps me see the strike zone and the close pitches.
    • I don't care one way or the other, whatever!

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Well actually ,there was a multitude of like minded people who agree with me. 

Generally wise not to literally start a post with "well actually…".

There are multitudes here who don't.

So what?

You didn't advance your argument, you simply found another thing that said what you'd said already.

It's an opinion. There is no "right" or "wrong."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This seemed relevant.

Gotta love the human element to umpiring, right? Because rules should be flexible from game to game based on who’s making the calls?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
26 minutes ago, billchao said:

This seemed relevant.

Gotta love the human element to umpiring, right? Because rules should be flexible from game to game based on who’s making the calls?

I always like posts with photos and videos showing the context. Great! Interesting, as your video shows two different pitches, the first pitch seems outside by 6 inches or so. Although the second pitch is very deceiving, and to me, shows a flaw in the 'kzone' box. If you advance the video frame by frame you will notice the baseball actually is well within the box (strike) when it passes through the entire length of the plate, and as the ball hits the catcher's mitt, because the pitch is diving down and right, it shows the pitch outside of the strike zone. As a result, pitch #1 looks to be definitely a missed call, but as some think pitch #2 is definitely out of the strike zone, I feel they are mistaken and the ump made a great call. Now the Kzone is not the deciding factor or what gets called a ball and a strike, but to the untrained eye it looks like the ump missed the call when actually he made a great call.

30962056_Screenshot(53).thumb.png.8d0c1133b5164985a029c4fc75b6fcca.png

Edited by Billy Z
photo added

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

17 minutes ago, billchao said:

This seemed relevant.

Hernandez was the opening day home plate umpire for the Mariner's game.  The announcers said he was one of the league's most loved umpires...

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I always like posts with photos and videos showing the context. Great! Interesting, as your video shows two different pitches, the first pitch seems outside by 6 inches or so. Although the second pitch is very deceiving, and to me, shows a flaw in the 'kzone' box. If you advance the video frame by frame you will notice the baseball actually is well within the box (strike) when it passes through the entire length of the plate, and as the ball hits the catcher's mitt, because the pitch is diving down and right, it shows the pitch outside of the strike zone. As a result, pitch #1 looks to be definitely a missed call, but as some think pitch #2 is definitely out of the strike zone, I feel they are mistaken and the ump made a great call. Now the Kzone is not the deciding factor or what gets called a ball and a strike, but to the untrained eye it looks like the ump missed the call when actually he made a great call.

30962056_Screenshot(53).thumb.png.8d0c1133b5164985a029c4fc75b6fcca.png

You’re greatly misunderstanding camera angles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

You’re greatly misunderstanding camera angles.

That's your opinion, but the attached photo I included showing the ball inside the strike zone, even when it is past the physical plate yells out that you are mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

That's your opinion, but the attached photo I included showing the ball inside the strike zone, even when it is past the physical plate yells out that you are mistaken.

I would say 50/50 at best, most likely a ball. 

Pitcher on the right side of the mound. Catcher set up inside. Not sure if the ball would be curving towards the strike zone or not, but it looks more like a fastball. I'd say borderline strike if that. 

The graphic is lined up with the edge of the plate. The ball is nearly to the edge of the plate, but it is still way before crossing the plate. This indicates that the ball is further right than it seems due to the camera angle. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Here’s how parallax works:

image.png

So basically because the camera angle is from Viewpoint B, the ball appears more to the left than it actually is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

26 minutes ago, billchao said:

Here’s how parallax works:

image.png

So basically because the camera angle is from Viewpoint B, the ball appears more to the left than it actually is.

Well, then from what you 'just' wrote in this thread: "the ball appears more to the left than it actually is", testifies to the inaccuracy of the Kzone technology when viewing with the 'off center' tv camera. I could say that this kzone box and it's associated technology with camera angles is not very accurate. Now add in the idea of an untrained eye, the avg baseball tv viewer is fooled often times by this imperfect set up. Besides all that, I think I remember the word 'austerity' being used in these forums in reference to things of golf, being desired for it's no frills simplicity. Strangely, all of a sudden, people want just the opposite when it comes to the kzone. Frankly, I think the ump gave the correct call on the 2nd pitch there, and is proven by the frame stopping photo I attached. Although, to each their own.

3 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Well, then from what you 'just' wrote in this thread: "the ball appears more to the left than it actually is", testifies to the inaccuracy of the Kzone technology when viewing with the 'off center' tv camera.

No, I’m saying what you’re seeing isn’t an accurate reflection based on the single camera angle. The K Zone system is developed based on multiple camera angles and computers sync it together to give the measurement. The technology is significantly more than just a box on your tv screen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

No, I’m saying what you’re seeing isn’t an accurate reflection based on the single camera angle. The K Zone system is developed based on multiple camera angles and computers sync it together to give the measurement. The technology is significantly more than just a box on your tv screen.

Good points, but as you said the pitch gave an appearance that may not be accurate due to the camera angle.

4 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Good points, but as you said the pitch gave an appearance that may not be accurate due to the camera angle.

In regards to your claim that the ball was a strike, yea. I’m not sure what your point is because I just typed this out in the post you quoted.

The Yankees have an overhead angle on home plate. I’ve never seen the K Zone wrong before. And I’m not saying it’s not possible, but it’s highly unlikely. 

No offense, but I believe a computer technology developed over 20 years over a guy watching on tv.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

36 minutes ago, billchao said:

In regards to your claim that the ball was a strike, yea. I’m not sure what your point is because I just typed this out in the post you quoted.

The Yankees have an overhead angle on home plate. I’ve never seen the K Zone wrong before. And I’m not saying it’s not possible, but it’s highly unlikely. 

No offense, but I believe a computer technology developed over 20 years over a guy watching on tv.

41AACEC5-597B-4702-97C4-142A09C6CBBC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Billy Z said:

No, it’s not an opinion.

You cannot judge where the ball is in 3D space from a 2D image.

Not when it’s off axis like that.

Not an opinion.

I use cameras all the time, too. Angles skew things fast.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

No, it’s not an opinion.

You cannot judge where the ball is in 3D space from a 2D image.

Not when it’s off axis like that.

Not an opinion.

I use cameras all the time, too. Angles s as Lew things fast.

Yes I agree, it can be very tricky. The way I would sum it up is: from the video that was attached early, based on my judgement as to the depth of the ball in reference to the front of the home plate, it appears to me (imo) the ball nipped the plate as it crossed over the front plane of the plate. Can I prove this beyond any doubt? No. If I were a betting man, as they say, I think I would say it was a strike. As great as technology is these days, just from the previous conversations that was started by @billchao, you can see how pitches can appear one way but possibly be the other way. I am getting used to kzone, but I like a simple, clean look to things, not busy looking. Sometimes more is less.

@Billy Z I recorded this just for you 😃

Did it catch the plate or no?

Bill

My Swing Thread