IGNORED

US Open Reality Golf - Will the amateur break 100?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We are talking about people qualified for the Open this time - not clods like me.

If you can get in, you can flat out play.

This must be a rhetorical question.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

We are talking about people qualified for the Open this time - not clods like me. If you can get in, you can flat out play. This must be a rhetorical question.

Nope; after Tiger's comment last year saying there was no way a 10 handicap could break 100 on Oakmont, Golf Digest and NBC teamed up to offer a contest. The winner will be playing Torrey Pines the week before the U.S.Open from the tips, rough up with cameras rolling to see if they can break 100. NBC is going to show it the hour before their Sunday coverage. It was announced yesterday that the 3 celebrity golfers playing with the winner are Tony Romo, Justin Timberlake, and Matt Lauer (spelling? news guy from NBC). You can go to Golf Digest's website and vote on the 5 finalists now.

To answer the thread question, I don't think the person will break 100. Obviously the course is the biggest factor, but I can't see any regular Joe not puckering up the ol' sphincter when they get out there with the cameras on them all day. It would be quite the experience though.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Nope; after Tiger's comment last year saying there was no way a 10 handicap could break 100 on Oakmont, Golf Digest and NBC teamed up to offer a contest. The winner will be playing Torrey Pines the week before the U.S.Open from the tips, rough up with cameras rolling to see if they can break 100. NBC is going to show it the hour before their Sunday coverage. It was announced yesterday that the 3 celebrity golfers playing with the winner are Tony Romo, Justin Timberlake, and Matt Lauer (spelling? news guy from NBC). You can go to Golf Digest's website and vote on the 5 finalists now.

Oh, I didn't know we were talking about this stunt.

I doubt that any of them break 100.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

This should be really interesting. Apparently, Justin Timberlake made the comments that he is a 5 or 6 Handicap and that he has aspirations of playing on the PGA Tour. Let's see if he really is a 5 or 6 and what type of game he has.

I believe that Oakmont plays tougher than Torrey Pines. Depending on the winner, he or she may break 100. It just depends what their real strength is. If it's putting and short game, then they will have a really strong chance. If not, well, at least you got to play on TV.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I think the pressure of being on TV and playing the most prestiguous course ever will make them fold under.

Only 1/4 Will break 100. The Soccer Player Will.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

OK... I looked at the finalists profiles and many are low single digits... this is NOT an average golfer as Tiger said in the quote that started this whole thing. My opinion is that they should pick someone between 10-12 capper. This is still not average, but about right for the contest. I think someone who is a 4 could certainly break 100 if they play smart. A 10 capper would have to play smart, and have a good round... much more fun to watch. Also, one of the guys played college, another is cancer fighter, great stories, etc.... but I would rather see AVERAGE Joe Blow, a middle class guy who loves golf but doesn't play enough, etc.

-just my 2 cents
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

A ten handicap can break 100 at torrey pines south maybe if the conditions are very easy, like cut rough, soft greens, but tournament conditions, no chance. Also, if this ten capper isnt strong off the tee or on the green, no way jose. I have trouble on the south course in tough tournament conditions breaking 90 sometimes. the course is very long with fast greens and high rough. it aint no picnic when they set it up for the pros.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I entered this contest (as I'm sure probably most of us have). After seeing some of the other entries they posted in Golf Digest, I don't think they're going to pick my boring entry as the winner.

When I entered I think I told them "yeah, sure, I think I can break 100". After some thought though, I'm not so sure. If they let me play from the blues, maybe I'd have a shot. But from the championship tees, I think I'd get destroyed since I don't have enough length to handle the extreme distance.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

I entered this contest (as I'm sure probably most of us have). After seeing some of the other entries they posted in Golf Digest, I don't think they're going to pick my boring entry as the winner.

they already have the finalists... so NO you won't be picked. 5% of the initial 50,000 were asked to send in short swing videos, then they picked 5 finalists from those. I made the first cut... from 50,000 to 1,000... but not a finalist.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Ahh see, I hadn't checked golfdigest.com until you said something just now. All I knew was they had not said anything in the latest magazine.

Very cool. I see Tony Romo is one of the celebrity golfers. Being a Giants fan, I just don't think I could force myself to golf with the QB of the hated Cowboys.

Ok, that's a lie.

"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

If the final winner is a low handicapper, then it proves nothing if he breaks 100. Tiger's comment was that a 10 handicapper could not break 100 at Oakmont. (Obviously, under US Open, conditions)

Oakmont is a little tougher than Torrey Pines under normal conditions. While breaking 100 would be an accomplishment, it would not make Woods eat crow.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

If the final winner is a low handicapper, then it proves nothing if he breaks 100. Tiger's comment was that a 10 handicapper could not break 100

Good point, I think the finalists are all lower then an 8 if Im not mistaken.

Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

i would pay a few hundred just to try the course out in US open conditions. i think it would be fun to get my ass handed to me and make me realize just how good the pros really are.

• Administrator
Good point, I think the finalists are all lower then an 8 if Im not mistaken.

Who cares? They're only using four guys to test the theory anyway, and they're doing it at a completely different golf course.

I don't think Tiger cares one whit about this contest. Frankly, I'd have rather they chose a scratch golfer, a 5 handicapper, a 10 handicapper, and a 15 handicapper just to see how the scores varied... Or 10 of each so you might get some actual semi-valid data.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you have to think atleast one of them is gonna play well enough to break 100.

In My Bag:
Driver-G10 10.5 pro launch blue
3 wood-Burner TP 14.5
2i-hibore hybrid 19 stiff
irons-J33bWedges-:54 vokeyFEEL wedge company 60putter- white hot xg #1ball-pro v1

I really hope that the scoring is honest, too. I don't want to hear, "I get shots, here, here and here" or "I'm a so and so handicap, I can only score more than a 7" etc. None of this, nonsense.

Again, though, as I stated before, it's not Oakmont and the player is not a 10 handicap.

To make this really fun, though, it would be nice for Mr. Woods to show up at the first tee and announce that he's walking with the group. Let's see how they handle, that.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!