IGNORED

The Stack System - A Conversation on Gaining Swing Speed

iacas

54 minutes ago, StuM said:

In the spring I am planning to start new lessons via "Evolver" and expect changes to my swing to be suggested.  I'm also thinking about The Stack to increase my swing speed.  My question is, should I hold off on The Stack until I get any changes suggested by Evolver to be engrained into my swing before I start the speed training or can I do both at the same time?

You can definitely do both. I'm guessing you'll start out with set up stuff as you get into lessons which will be easy and beneficial to incorporate during stack session. Also, there are breaks during the sessions. I use those breaks to do slow rehearsal swings or work on swing feels. 

There's also a good rhythm to the stack sessions - you end up doing one either every other day or every 3 days. You can use the other days for more intense swing work if you want to.

I haven't watched this, but I found this video on the Stack site that talks about speed training and swing mechanics. Might be worth a watch: https://www.thestacksystem.com/pages/stack-training-and-swing-mechanics

Edited by DeadMan
  • Informative 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, StuM said:

My question is, should I hold off on The Stack until I get any changes suggested by Evolver to be engrained into my swing before I start the speed training or can I do both at the same time?

I would.  I did.  I plan to eventually embark on swing speed training, but, other than occasionally hitting a few balls in the back yard, just to see what would happen, I haven't even been to a range, much less played, much less considered swing speed training.

My thinking was doing any of those things would only slow the process of me grooving a new swing.  (Given how long I've been at it that seems hardly possible, but, that's been my thinking, nonetheless.)

50 minutes ago, StuM said:

I want more speed for more distance but I figure a better swing should be top priority.

I agree, but, who am I to say? ;-)

• Administrator
1 hour ago, StuM said:

Thoughts?

Do them both.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I haven't watched this, but I found this video on the Stack site that talks about speed training and swing mechanics. Might be worth a watch: https://www.thestacksystem.com/pages/stack-training-and-swing-mechanics

That video was the perfect answer to my question.  I guess I'll be getting The Stack.  Now I just need to drop enough "Hints" to my wife for my Christmas Present, but there is that TST Discount Code so maybe it is just my present to myself.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, StuM said:

That video was the perfect answer to my question.  I guess I'll be getting The Stack.  Now I just need to drop enough "Hints" to my wife for my Christmas Present, but there is that TST Discount Code so maybe it is just my present to myself.

Yeah. Not to get off topic, but we just buy stuff for ourselves. Outside of some situations (I bought her a personalized Yeti as she was wrecking our plastic Tervis bottles with her coffee), that's all we do.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah. Not to get off topic, but we just buy stuff for ourselves. Outside of some situations (I bought her a personalized Yeti as she was wrecking our plastic Tervis bottles with her coffee), that's all we do.

We "Play a game".  When we want something throughout the year it is "That will be my Birthday Present" or our "Anniversary Present", etc.  Truth be told we have both covered our special days well into our 90s at this point.  

To keep "On Topic", I'll get the bundle with the PRGR Monitor.  The Mevo+ would be nice, but it would be overkill for my needs.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator

I just mostly use the PRGR. I should try it out with the Mevo+ at some point again… 🙂 

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah. Not to get off topic, but we just buy stuff for ourselves.

That's mostly what my wife and I do now.

We found ourselves struggling to come up with something, anything, to get each other for Christmases and birthdays.  Finally decided neither of us needs any more "stuff," merely for the sake of coming up with something to gift one another, so we don't do that anymore.

E.g.: I've a couple upgrades to my home gym I want.  When the Black Friday sales roll around I'll pick one, tell her "I'm gonna get this for myself for Christmas" and that'll be that.

It may even be set aside until Christmas Day :-D  (Though they're both fairly large, so maybe not.)

Edited by SEMI_Duffer

3 hours ago, StuM said:

To keep "On Topic", I'll get the bundle with the PRGR Monitor.  The Mevo+ would be nice, but it would be overkill for my needs.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I just mostly use the PRGR. I should try it out with the Mevo+ at some point again… 🙂 

FWIW I use the Mevo+ and don't have any issues. It reads like 95%+ of the swings, only misses one every couple of sessions . 

I agree that it's overkill if your only use is for The Stack but I use mine for my garage hitting bay and I take it to the range pretty regularly as well.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I'm through the foundations program, and reporting back with some really good success. I increased all my speeds significantly. Better yet, I'm seeing results on the course. I used to hit 300 yards maybe once a round, but now I'm hitting it multiple times a round. And I'm finding that I can really crank it out there when I want/need to. I've had a couple of drive crack 320 when I've done that. I haven't measured my swing speed hitting driver in about a month, but a month ago, I had gained about 5 mph on average with driver compared to before. I was in the 100 range before, now in the 105, and I can crank it closer to 110. I never saw this type of result with the Super Speed sticks.

I do really like the app and how it sets it up. It's much better to follow than Super Speed, and all the data is great.

My second program is the lead arm enhancer. I've done one work out, and it was a little weird. The workout was "tempo" swings, which are 80% swings, focused on timing/mechanics. It's a big difference going from the foundations program where you go all out to going back to 80%. It doesn't feel as intense, either. I'm sure that will change as I get further into the program, but it didn't feel the same as in the past.

Anyway, I'm really happy with this, and I'm excited to see where else this goes.

Here's a picture of my progress in the app:

IMG_3702.thumb.png.e2003ea8a22128b758d733f4285e4b7d.png

Edited by DeadMan
  • Thumbs Up 4

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 10/2/2023 at 10:57 AM, DeadMan said:

I do really like the app and how it sets it up. It's much better to follow than Super Speed, and all the data is great.

The app is well done. I like The Stack way better than the Superspeed program so far. I am just about to start Phase 4 of the Foundation program. The app makes it easy to track progress, and it seamlessly connects to Mevo+. I feel like the sessions are more focused and take take less time to complete compared to Superspeed but it's been awhile since I did Superspeed so I might be misremembering that part. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

49 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

The app is well done. I like The Stack way better than the Superspeed program so far. I am just about to start Phase 4 of the Foundation program. The app makes it easy to track progress, and it seamlessly connects to Mevo+. I feel like the sessions are more focused and take take less time to complete compared to Superspeed but it's been awhile since I did Superspeed so I might be misremembering that part. 

If they ever come out with an Android ap I will be on this like white on rice. 

If anyone out there hears news that an Android ap is coming, please let me know. I'd be excited to try this. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If they ever come out with an Android ap I will be on this like white on rice. 

If anyone out there hears news that an Android ap is coming, please let me know. I'd be excited to try this. 

You can get a refurbished iPad for a couple hundred bucks. Maybe even less if you looked on like FB Marketplace.

I've been waiting on an Android app for well over a year and last winter just bit the bullet and snagged a cheap iPad. I use mine for the Mevo+ simulator software too and take it to the range with me as I find it easier to see the numbers on a bigger screen

7 minutes ago, klineka said:

You can get a refurbished iPad for a couple hundred bucks. Maybe even less if you looked on like FB Marketplace.

I've been waiting on an Android app for well over a year and last winter just bit the bullet and snagged a cheap iPad. I use mine for the Mevo+ simulator software too and take it to the range with me as I find it easier to see the numbers on a bigger screen

Yeah, I know. 

And I may end up doing that. ... But ... Apple products are so icky. 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did my progress check after completing the Foundation program yesterday. I like the gains I am seeing compared to baseline. During the program I hit a maximum of 106mph (eSpeed 116mph) with the 195g stack, but more often than not I was in the 102-104mph range. One thing I noticed during Foundation is that there seemed to be high variance in test speeds. For example with the 195g weight, I might hit 105mph on one swing, and then 98mph on the next. I wonder if as I train to swing faster, the variance will decrease.

Driver speed measured at 113mph during the progress check, I think this is was the absolute max I could get after Superspeed, so nice to see that I am at this point after the first Stack program.

No idea why the single arm swings are faster. I guess these are much lighter (no added weight). I wonder if this is why the app recommends Neural Drive program as the next step. I plan to start that over the weekend.

image.thumb.png.d5ebd0cc45b8c0743a4c8c3430049387.png

• Thumbs Up 3

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Just completed my progress check for my second run of the Full Speed Spectrum and driver speed was the exact same as the baseline, 115mph. Not too disappointed that the speed didn't increase, I took quite a bit longer than recommended to finish the program, had multiple times of 5+ day gaps between sessions so did the "return to form" workouts multiple times in there too. Now with winter coming I should have less going on and be able to stick to the programming better.

I hit 111mph for my highest set speed with 195g multiple different workouts throughout the program which gave me an eSpeed of 120mph which I feel is about right, lately I've been sitting in the 117-120mph range on the course. 

I will say the Full Speed Spectrum got a bit boring and repetitive the second half of the program, so I am going to run the Neural Drive program next and see how I like that one.

Still would really like to get the cruising speed to 120mph at the minimum which I think is completely possible if I do a better job of staying on schedule with the program.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, klineka said:

I will say the Full Speed Spectrum got a bit boring and repetitive the second half of the program, so I am going to run the Neural Drive program next and see how I like that one.

@klineka Appreciate the honesty. How long are the sessions?  What makes them boring?

I thought the system has a set program in terms of what to do each session. Is Neural your next “step” or does the system allow you to mix things up a bit?

Thanks in advance 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

43 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

@klineka Appreciate the honesty. How long are the sessions?  What makes them boring?

Each session is about 20-25 minutes or so. The "boring" part was that for the second half of the program it was pretty much the same exact sequence every workout for the last ~15 sessions of this cycle just slightly different weights each workout. I'm sure there's a reason for it and it's by design, it just got repetitive. Heavy set to start, lighter set, lighter step set with same weight as previous set, heavy set with same weight as first set, final set with 195g. 

47 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

I thought the system has a set program in terms of what to do each session. Is Neural your next “step” or does the system allow you to mix things up a bit?

The system has a set program of workouts you follow when you are in a specific program like the Foundation or the Full Speed Spectrum, and then after each cycle it recommends what program you start next. It recommended Full Speed Spectrum for me again as the #1 option, with Neural Drive as the #2 option.

Basically it looks at all your speeds across the different weights and then ranks all of their available programs by which one it thinks you will benefit the most from.

I'm choosing Neural Drive because I've done the Full Speed Spectrum twice in a row now and want to mix it up and try something different.

• Thumbs Up 1