Jump to content
IGNORED

Driver Length Reduced Per Model Local Rule


DaveP043
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

The biggest thing to note is that there was only one sharp increase in average driving distance, and it happened quite quickly, starting in 1995, and ending in 2002. Does that coincide with anything in golf history?

https://www.pga.com/archive/how-driving-distance-has-changed-over-past-40-years-pga-tour

It's only in the last 2-3 years that someone has made a real commitment to building up his body besides Tiger previously, now that the kids see all this going on their onto it!!

 

They can see the correct body shape can change be bigger, previously it was thought big muscle was not good for Golf but Bryson has changed that thinking. I see so many Fat touring Pro's doing ok but could be so much better if they did the training, I believe it's the main reason Tiger was just too good for so long plus he could play with a broken leg....

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator
16 minutes ago, Colins69 said:

It's only in the last 2-3 years that someone has made a real commitment to building up his body besides Tiger previously, now that the kids see all this going on their onto it!!

They can see the correct body shape can change be bigger, previously it was thought big muscle was not good for Golf but Bryson has changed that thinking. I see so many Fat touring Pro's doing ok but could be so much better if they did the training, I believe it's the main reason Tiger was just too good for so long plus he could play with a broken leg....

Great. So how much are we betting?

  • Booooooooo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
11 hours ago, Colins69 said:

It's only in the last 2-3 years that someone has made a real commitment to building up his body besides Tiger previously, now that the kids see all this going on their onto it!!

 

They can see the correct body shape can change be bigger, previously it was thought big muscle was not good for Golf but Bryson has changed that thinking. I see so many Fat touring Pro's doing ok but could be so much better if they did the training, I believe it's the main reason Tiger was just too good for so long plus he could play with a broken leg....

You seriously think Bryson was the first PGA Tour pro who started working on being more fit and gaining speed from that? Have you been watching the Tour for the last 40 years?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, boogielicious said:

You seriously think Bryson was the first PGA Tour pro who started working on being more fit and gaining speed from that? Have you been watching the Tour for the last 40 years?

This exactly. The big jump I mentioned over that 7 year period did include Tiger's entrance, and a prime Daly, but they weren't a big enough sample to move the average. The average move happened because people were starting to see how big of an advantage distance could be so they put more time and work in, and because of improvement in equipment.

It hasn't moved much in the last 15 years because many people are just trying to keep up (working out and focusing on trajectory and spin rates) with the top of the pack. It's pretty tough to hit it 300 yards and keep it in play, and that's why I think that gains have trickled off. We still see small gains because more of a percentage of the tour has distance as a goal, and guys like Fitz and ZJ are becoming more rare. Those two come to mind as guys who admit to just being shorter, accepting it, and improving other parts of their game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/16/2021 at 3:26 PM, iacas said:

Great. So how much are we betting?

GREAT So you think with your wallet, latest results suggest the Europeans are playing well with Two wins. CJ Cup an Andaluca masters, too little too late But !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 10/17/2021 at 4:51 AM, Bonvivant said:

This exactly. The big jump I mentioned over that 7 year period did include Tiger's entrance, and a prime Daly, but they weren't a big enough sample to move the average. The average move happened because people were starting to see how big of an advantage distance could be so they put more time and work in, and because of improvement in equipment.

It hasn't moved much in the last 15 years because many people are just trying to keep up (working out and focusing on trajectory and spin rates) with the top of the pack. It's pretty tough to hit it 300 yards and keep it in play, and that's why I think that gains have trickled off. We still see small gains because more of a percentage of the tour has distance as a goal, and guys like Fitz and ZJ are becoming more rare. Those two come to mind as guys who admit to just being shorter, accepting it, and improving other parts of their game.

Well I'm saying thanks to Bryson its very much front and centre, in little New Zealand we are seeing most of the drama that goes on in the States. Including the effort by Brooks to windup Bryson, which may or may not be legit. 

 

I,m doing alot more upper body training that stops when my muscle is burning. I'm so happy that I've hit 144 mph ball speed not bad for 70 y/o, I'm not stopping training because I want to see how far I can go...  Back in the day my driver was 250 metres +... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator
25 minutes ago, Colins69 said:

GREAT So you think with your wallet, latest results suggest the Europeans are playing well with Two wins. CJ Cup an Andaluca masters, too little too late But !!!

Huh?

What does winning a tournament have to do with:

On 10/15/2021 at 4:22 AM, Colins69 said:

400ish driver distance will be the norm faster than you think.

Please, I'd love to take some money off of you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Colins69 said:

How does a bet change anything, can't win a discussion thats for damm sure... 

It is stake on a claim you made. People ask you to bet to see how much you believe in the things you say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
35 minutes ago, Colins69 said:

How does a bet change anything, can't win a discussion thats for damm sure... 

You made a claim. I asked you to bet on it. Then you pointed out an unrelated fact.

You’re not making sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Looks like the LPGA Tour is going this route as well. Sorry, Brooke.

GettyImages-1314081941.jpg?w=640

“I started hitting a driver longer than 46 when I was 15 and I’ve never looked back.”
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 hours ago, iacas said:

Looks like the LPGA Tour is going this route as well. Sorry, Brooke.

GettyImages-1314081941.jpg?w=640

“I started hitting a driver longer than 46 when I was 15 and I’ve never looked back.”

She chokes up at least 1 inch, maybe 2! So go with a 46” driver and don’t choke up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

She chokes up at least 1 inch, maybe 2! So go with a 46” driver and don’t choke up.

So the story goes, they made Anthony Kim shorter clubs to keep him from choking down, but he said that screwed him up and went back to choking down longer clubs. I bet cutting off 2" would be a massive adjustment if she can adjust at all. I think that is a potentially serious issue for her. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
11 hours ago, GolfLug said:

So the story goes, they made Anthony Kim shorter clubs to keep him from choking down, but he said that screwed him up and went back to choking down longer clubs. I bet cutting off 2" would be a massive adjustment if she can adjust at all. I think that is a potentially serious issue for her. 

Serious maybe, but she’s world class and it’s not like we’re changing her swing. It’s the same swing with a shorter club that she will grip near the end now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, Colins69 said:

It's only in the last 2-3 years that someone has made a real commitment to building up his body besides Tiger previously, now that the kids see all this going on their onto it!!

Are you serious?

There have been tons of guys who've preached the importance of strength and fitness. 

Here are just two examples: 
Gary Player preached the importance of strength training in the 60's. 

In the 90's and 00's David Duval said that once he could no longer maintain the strength and fitness training he was doing he simply wasn't able to compete any more. He went from one of the world's best, shooting a 59. To a guy who couldn't break 80. He always said a huge part of it was that he wasn't able to train like he used to. 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:22 AM, Colins69 said:

Yeah it all starts somewhere, 400ish driver distance will be the norm faster than you think. Bryson is just the beginning...

Hyperbole much?

On 10/15/2021 at 7:05 AM, iacas said:

I’ll take that bet. What do you think: $100k?

I'll take your bet. So, if 400 yard drives ever become the norm, you can pay me $100K when it happens. 
If we go forever and 400 yard drives never become the norm, I'll pay you $100K when it happens..... 

See what I did there? ... 🤪

:beer:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

See what I did there? ... 🤪

He said "faster than you [I] think." So I get to define the term length, and it's less than "forever."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

He said "faster than you [I] think." So I get to define the term length, and it's less than "forever."

I was just trying to be a smart ass. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
32 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Are you serious?

There have been tons of guys who've preached the importance of strength and fitness. 

Here are just two examples: 
Gary Player preached the importance of strength training in the 60's. 

In the 90's and 00's David Duval said that once he could no longer maintain the strength and fitness training he was doing he simply wasn't able to compete any more. He went from one of the world's best, shooting a 59. To a guy who couldn't break 80. He always said a huge part of it was that he wasn't able to train like he used to. 

Hyperbole much?

I'll take your bet. So, if 400 yard drives ever become the norm, you can pay me $100K when it happens. 
If we go forever and 400 yard drives never become the norm, I'll pay you $100K when it happens..... 

See what I did there? ... 🤪

:beer:

I don’t think we’ll live to see this, or at least not me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...