IGNORED

I swear buying new irons will drive a guy mad...

Note: This thread is 5884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...but here is what I am leaning towards. I love the pings but I am torn between straight G10's and a combination of I10 for 8-w and G10 for 4-7. Get a little more forgiveness on the G's and a little more workability from the I's.

Or maybe I am just overthinking the WHOLE thing and need to just buy the G's, let my game improve to 10-14 then upgrade to the I's.

Thoughts?

Hit them all and go with what feels best. You'll know once you've been on the range or course with them for a bit in a demo session.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Your right it is enough to drive a guy mad!! i was all set on the ping i10 then thought of the G10 i10 combo, then i tried the Cleveland CG Gold and absolutley loved them now the AP1's are out so would be silly not to try them before i decide.. The guy at the range is getting sick of me i think , but oh well when your going to spend $1000+ its worth taking your time

I saw a set like that on eBay and it got me thinking about doing the same thing. I havn't played in like 10 years and then I used my Dads clubs. I'm going to stop at Ping sometime this week and get fitted, nice advantage to living like 3 or 4 miles from them. I'm still not sure if I want to buy a new set of clubs or get a used set considering I will probably beat them up alittle untill I get back into the grove of swinging.

In the Vision SS Bag:

Driver: r7 superquad 10.5* Reax Reg flex
3-Wood: Pinseeker 15* Reg flex
Hybrid 3: r7 Draw Rescue 19* Reg flexHybrid 4: Rescue Mid 22* Reg flexIrons: G2's 5-PW - TFC 100 Regular Flex Wedges: None yet Putter: Monza SpiderBall: Anything cheap for now

Im looking at the old Adams Tight Lies GT irons--the ones with the graphite tip--keep the g's and save your money chances are the g's are just as good

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

...but here is what I am leaning towards. I love the pings but I am torn between straight G10's and a combination of I10 for 8-w and G10 for 4-7. Get a little more forgiveness on the G's and a little more workability from the I's.

I personally do not think there is any point to have 8-9-w in the i's. Because i would think that you would only need forgiveness in 3-4-5 irons and workability in the

i10s 6-7-8-9-W ie. more of a 50/50 split. its a good choice, because both clubs are set up quite similar. as long as you have the same shaft of course.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

It really isn't that hard. Just use what feels good.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

i tried a i5 at my driving range once, and it was great. got a nice little fade.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

When I look at irons, I always put the 7 iron in my hand.
I have only bought irons that I loved immediately.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

The i10s are second on my list of clubs to get. An advantage they have is the ability to pick up some i10s and some g10s. If I were to get the Pings, I'd get i10 for 6 down to wherever I stopped (W or A) and g10s for the rest.

If you can afford the upgrade cost, go ahead. But I'd estimate it to be around $300-$500. How well do you hit the i10 6-iron? Hit it a few times. If you hit it poorly, try the 7-. Figure out which ones you hit the best from which sets.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My two cents here:

As i'm sure you know, the offset in a set of irons decreases as you progress from long to short irons. The G10 set has more offset than the I10. The jump in offset from 7-8 iron is going to be pretty extreme (.26" to .09"). When you are looking down at the clubs, this might be a big problem for you.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I don't think you will gain anything by splitting the set. Both are darn good irons, but the i-10 isn't that much more workable.

Try them both and get what you like. Make sure you try the long irons in both.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

It really isn't that hard. Just use what feels good.

Thats exactly right , as soon as i hit the CG Golds i knew they were the club for me, just felt right... now all i have to do is sort our which shafts suit , any suggestions?

if you are at a demo day, don't look at the bottom of the club (if possible) until after you have hit the iron. i went to the demo day last year and was set on nike slingshots. my dad told me to hit some more clubs, and i ended up with my cobras

i heard you got ap1's. how are they?

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

When I look at irons, I always put the 7 iron in my hand.

lol, man. I usually feel bad for being so impulsive but thats about how i am with irons, oddly enough the 7 iron being my main "judgment club" as well. I know what general range of forgiveness/workability level I am looking for in the set of irons...so I just worry about which ones I feel most confident looking down on and fits my eye.

Of course I will hit them before I purchase...but there have only been a couple sets that made it to the simulator/range and were then rejected. Thats how the 735.cms made it in my bag, and I haven't had a regret.

Hi-Bore 9.5° w/ UST pro-force v2 Stiff
Halo 1i 16°
Halo 3i 22°
735.cm 4-PW
Vokey 52.8, Vokey Spin-Milled 56.10, 60.4 Sophia 32" or Studio Design 1 34"

get some Ping Zings.......jk, i was hitting some used at golf galaxy today

wow, very weird

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

After playing with my Callaway S2H2's for 15+ years. I'm looking at new irons and for some reason I now like Ping. I always thought they were too clunky but now all GI irons tend to look clunky. I'm a 9 handicap and am seriously looking at I5's which I can get for about $750 new. I now have the opportunity to get a "demo" combo set of I10's (5-W) and G10's (3-4) with AWT shaft in my flex (stiff) for $500. Any opinions on which way to go? I've always liked the thin topline of the S2H2's so the I10 is appealing but I've seen a lot of people who prefer the I5's because they are little more forgiving. I generally hit my S2H2 7-iron about 155-160 but I don't know how forgiving new clubs are compared to the 15 year old club.

Note: This thread is 5884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!