IGNORED

What Are Your 2022 Golf Goals?

iacas

Okay, I have figured out a goal, but the goal is really sticking to a system.  I have some other goals that aren't listed here, like reducing my handicap and increasing how much weight I can lift, but the goals below will help me better achieve those goals.
(BTW, I looked back at my goals in 2008, 2009, and wow did I not know what I was doing)

This morning was day 143 of the "5 minutes" challenge for me, current block.  I have a bad habit for the past dozen or so years of allowing other factors in my life to takeover my recreation (esp. golf) and health focus.  I want to fix that in 2022.

If I practice every day for the rest of the calendar year, I'll get to 300 days.  Let's set a goal of 290.  That allows the occasional miss, without too many misses within a period (as per the challenge's rules).  And there are going to be travel days, or major events at work, that sort of thing, that fill the time.

Similarly, health.  Sure, it's nice that I can walk to work (it's about a three mile round trip), not difficult terrain or anything and it's not like I go into the office every day.  So I'd like to set the goal that I do an appropriate Fit for Golf workout at least twice a week (I'd prefer three times, and will aim for that) and never go more than five consecutive days without.  It isn't like I need to go to the gym to do this anyway;  I have the equipment at home.  I even have a TV in the home "gym," so if I'd otherwise sit on the couch and watch MNF in October, and I haven't done that day's workout yet, I can do it then.  Football actually has a decent tempo for working out.  

I don't want to specify handicap levels as a goal, as that's an artifact of good practice, and I'd rather that the goal be the specific manner by which I'm achieving something else.  I think that's more attainable than something like "I'd like to get my handicap under 12" or the like.  That's also why I'm not specifying what I'll be practicing, other than it's golf related (probably a full swing priority piece about two thirds of the time).  There are similar reasons I don't want to say something like "I'd like to bench press 200 pounds" or "I'd like my driver swing speed to get to 105 mph."  If I get there, great, but I think that regularly following expertly prescribed workouts and adding weight as appropriate is better than a number here for measurements.  

And this is a lot better than a dozen years ago where my goals were things like "practice short game four times a week."  What was I thinking?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

1. Actually play again **DONE** 56 for my first rd.  Utter crap

2. break 50 within my first 3 rds by limiting penalty strokes and 3 putts

3. Break 45 by focusing on short game in my practice time

4.  Focus in being smooth for all shots and not muscling it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Burying the bodies deep enough this time so that my dog doesn't unbury them again... oh, wait we're talking about golf goals. Okay then. 

Low to mid 90s consistently by December. I live in SoCal so I can play year round. No such thing as an offseason here. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

They call it golf because the other four-letter words were taken. – Ray Floyd

• 2 weeks later...

My 2022 goals have been to have fun playing golf. So far this is happening. I've been using ShotScope to track my progress. I haven't been taking the sport as seriously as I have in the past, but I've been playing better. This might be because I'm learning what my own limitations are and am starting to play within them. When things go off the rails I'll head down to Chambers Bay and use their grass practice facility for a few hours and work out the kinks. It's a serious practice facility. And I can use my real tee instead of that rubber tee for practicing driver. Also the practice bunkers are really nice for building confidence because they have great sand in them, not like the crap sand you find in public munis. Granted you can't work on hitting the style of bunker shots you need, but at least you walk away knowing that if you ever play a premier golf course and end up in the bunker you won't make a fool of yourself. So I'm having fun this year. My HC has dropped. My putting is better. I'm hitting bump and runs. That took buying a club specially for doing that, but whatever works, right?

Oh, and I broke 90 again this season and did it twice. That was one of my goals, too. So success. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, last year's goals were too easy. So, this year I'm going to push myself a little bit more. 

2022 GOALS:

1. Cut my handicap in half. 
    1. You may think that's impossible. Cutting your handicap in half in one season. To that I say: 
      1. To cut my handicap in half I'd need to get to 9.5.
      2. I've been in single digits at least 2 other times over the last 25 years. 
      3. My last five rounds this season (Didn't count as handicap rounds as they were too late in the year) were 84, 81, 82, 79, and an 84 in really tough conditions. If I translate that to a handicap it would be 12.8, 10, 10.9, 10.7, and 12.8. So, I think getting to 9.5 is an attainable goal. 
  2. Practice Smarter.
    1. I'm putting together a training plan to include 
      1. Committing to the 65/20/15 practice ratios. 
      2. Every practice session has to have a goal. 
      3. Use video at least every other full swing session. 
      4. Specific 5-minute slow-mo mirror work no less than 3 times per week. 
      5. Take an Aim-Point class.

As the season comes to a close. I may get in another round or even two but the official handicap season ends here on Monday. Looking back at my goals for 2022. I didn't do as well as I had hoped to do. There are lots of reasons for that, but here's a recap and pretty much where I ended up. 

2022 GOALS:

1. Cut my handicap in half. - I didn't quite get there. I made it from 19 to 14. I wanted to get to single digits.  
    1. You may think that's impossible. Cutting your handicap in half in one season. To that I say: 
      1. To cut my handicap in half I'd need to get to 9.5. I made it to 14
      3. My last five rounds this season (Didn't count as handicap rounds as they were too late in the year) were 84, 81, 82, 79, and an 84 in really tough conditions. If I translate that to a handicap it would be 12.8, 10, 10.9, 10.7, and 12.8. So, I think getting to 9.5 is an attainable goal. 
  2. Practice Smarter.
    1. I'm putting together a training plan to include.
      1. Committing to the 65/20/15 practice ratios. I think I did a really good job of this. This off-season I may need to amend it just a bit, because wedge play and shot putting has really hurt me this year. Not making that up either. It is what Shot Scope is telling me. I'm losing tons of strokes to short approach shots and shot putts.  
      2. Every practice session has to have a goal. I think I did a good job of this. 
      3. Use video at least every other full swing session. I did NOT do a good job of this. I got a lot of video. I would say more than most people get. But I want to include more video in my practice. 
      4. Specific 5-minute slow-mo mirror work no less than 3 times per week. I think I did a good job of this. The only exception was there were (2) extended periods of time this year where major family issues came up and took me out of golf practice for basically a month each time. 
      5. Take an Aim-Point class. I didn't even kinda do this. This will likely get pushed to the 2023 goals. 
  • Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

As the season comes to a close. I may get in another round or even two but the official handicap season ends here on Monday. Looking back at my goals for 2022. I didn't do as well as I had hoped to do. There are lots of reasons for that, but here's a recap and pretty much where I ended up. 

2022 GOALS:

1. Cut my handicap in half. - I didn't quite get there. I made it from 19 to 14. I wanted to get to single digits.  
      1. To cut my handicap in half I'd need to get to 9.5. I made it to 14
  2. Practice Smarter.
    1. I'm putting together a training plan to include.
      1. Committing to the 65/20/15 practice ratios. I think I did a really good job of this. This off-season I may need to amend it just a bit, because wedge play and shot putting has really hurt me this year. Not making that up either. It is what Shot Scope is telling me. I'm losing tons of strokes to short approach shots and shot putts.  
      2. Every practice session has to have a goal. I think I did a good job of this. 
      3. Use video at least every other full swing session. I did NOT do a good job of this. I got a lot of video. I would say more than most people get. But I want to include more video in my practice. 
      4. Specific 5-minute slow-mo mirror work no less than 3 times per week. I think I did a good job of this. The only exception was there were (2) extended periods of time this year where major family issues came up and took me out of golf practice for basically a month each time. 
      5. Take an Aim-Point class. I didn't even kinda do this. This will likely get pushed to the 2023 goals. 

Save this for the goals recap topic, please. We do it every year… 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas unpinned and unfeatured this topic