IGNORED

Ongoing Changes to Augusta National (11, 15, 13)

iacas

• Administrator

For No. 11, the "significant hole changes" are described as, "Masters tees moved back 15 yards and to the golfer’s left. Fairway recontoured and several trees removed on right side." And for No. 15, "Masters tees moved back 20 yards and fairway recontoured."

The media guide also mentions on No. 18, "Thirteen yards added to the back of the Masters tees without necessitating a change in length to the hole." The par 72 will play to 7,510 yards total, reflecting the combined 35-yard increase on Nos. 11 and 15.

I'm glad for the removal of some trees on 11.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Moving the tees back and to the left on 11 should make fading the ball a bit trickier because it brings in the trees on the left more? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, colin007 said:

I always felt like a draw was the preferred shot on 11

It's a dogleg right.

The farther left you go, the more you have to play over the pond for your second shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/26/2022 at 7:08 PM, iacas said:

It's a dogleg right.

The farther left you go, the more you have to play over the pond for your second shot.

Idk it just seems like so many go too far right and have to deal with that row of trees

Colin P.

• Administrator
ANGC-10.jpg

The widening of No. 11 and the addition of short grass could be the most promising changes at the Masters venue in years

Apparently they're also increasing the amount of short grass around the course, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, iacas said:
ANGC-10.jpg

The widening of No. 11 and the addition of short grass could be the most promising changes at the Masters venue in years

Apparently they're also increasing the amount of short grass around the course, too.

Sounds interesting. I hope the announcers cover it and they give us some aerial explanations.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

13 will be different in 2023.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

• iacas changed the title to Ongoing Changes to Augusta National (11, 15, 13)
  • Administrator

Wow, nobody cares about Augusta National outside of March and April. 😄

• Like 1

I care, but I would like to see what they’re doing from the ground level and not just a teaser.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

From aerial view, it looks like that will be a narrow chute to hit through, and will make hitting a draw more necessary.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Stats from the 2022 tournament: https://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/index.html

Not sure they need to do anything further. 

Overall scoring avg is almost 2 strokes over par.

Three of the par 3's are in the top ten in difficulty. 

Let them have a break on the par 5's 😄

But I'm okay with whatever they do obviously.... It's The Masters!

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Stats from the 2022 tournament: https://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/index.html

Not sure they need to do anything further. 

Overall scoring avg is almost 2 strokes over par.

Three of the par 3's are in the top ten in difficulty. 

Let them have a break on the par 5's 😄

But I'm okay with whatever they do obviously.... It's The Masters!

Did you see the scoring averages on 13 at the 2022 Masters? It wasn't even all that low.

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you see the scoring averages on 13 at the 2022 Masters? It wasn't even all that low.

Yes, #2 and #8 are easier. 

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Scoring average on 13 in the 2022 Masters: 4.85 (510 yards). According to Brody's Book you need 4.48 strokes to hole out for a PGA Pro from 510 yards from the Tee. 
From that you can see that the hole is playing really tough for the distance. 

15th (550 yards): 4.93 in the masters. 4.70 to hole out according to Brody.
2nd (575 yards): 4.58 masters, 4.78 for brody.
8th (570 yards): 4.74 msters. 4.77 brody. 

13 and 15 are really good risk reward holes playing a little below par, I would definitively leave them the way they are.
On the other hand the 2nd hole is quite too easy playing almost between a par 4 and a par 5, i would definitively think about what you can do in that hole to make it more challenging.
More length? less length but playing it as a par 4? same but with a narrower area on the 2nd shot for laying up? Flatten the driving area to leave a 2nd longer shot to the green?

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved the 13th hole....and the statistics are very telling, it was the 2nd hardest Par 5 for the week, hardest on Sunday, yet offered just as much chance for a really good score as a really bad score.  Perfect risk reward hole, and certainly not playing "too easy".  I for one don't care what club they're hitting into the green, a hole can be challenging for plenty of other reasons, and this one clearly was.

Curious what it'll look like in the future, but that hole was great just the way it was...

-Eric

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3