IGNORED

is marihuana a performance enhancer for your golf?

ganjagolfer
Note: This thread is 5859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

..Ive never heard about anyone dying over marijuana...

You must lead a very sheltered life

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I can't imagine how Marijauna could possibly enhance play. But I understand that it's psychoactive effect is different for different people. It's been a very long time since I was high - but it makes me vertiginous, paranoid, and overly analytical.

Yuck.

As for professional competition - I think the playing field should be as level as possible. Meaning all players are as fit as they can possibly make themselves and there is nothing foriegn in their blood system besides the occasional over the counter analgesic. That includes alchohol.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

• Administrator
Not everywhere....

No, but it is everywhere the PGA Tour plays, no?

I just dont see how marijuana can be considered worse than alcohol in this context.

Uhm...?

marijuana shoud not be screened for tours sinmply because if they sell alcohol at the actual event and people die--what kind of message are they sending?

That doesn't even make sense, dude. The spectators aren't competing in the event. Simply put, the sale of alcohol to fans and the intake of marijuana by competitors aren't even close to the same topic.

As a bit of a pun, "WTF are you smoking?"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have had plenty of experiences with herb and golf. Personally, I believe they compliment each other very well. There's nothing quite like like teeing off shortly after sun-rise, freshly baked, and piping one right down the center. It's a beautiful experience.

However, all touch and feel go down the drain once you smoke even the smallest bit. I believe that it's impossible to be a consistent putter if you consistently smoke. I have never had any negative effects on my full swings, concentration, or analytical processing. I do tend to get the munchies and forget my score by about the 4th hole though.

Overall, I don't think that cannabis is a performance enhancer or inhibitor. I do think that they should test for it as well as any other narcotic to remain consistent in thier policy. Poor Fred Couples...

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

As a bit of a pun, "WTF are you smoking?"

LoL! Agreed.

in my country we spell it marijuana

In my country we spell it ILLEGAL or CANCEROUS.

-I can definitely see how some potheads who think that getting high before a round might be beneficial to them but in the long run it is just another reason to get high, no real performance enhancement, just getting high. I run into guys everyday who think they need to get high in order to function properly for school, work, sports and anything else they can think of. These people are just looking for a reason to get high though, they function just fine without the use of any drugs. -And for anyone out here who thinks that pot is natural and isn't going to hurt you "think again"! This is to the extreme but I have actually met a chronic who loved to smoke pot who ended up getting mouth cancer and basically lost half his face after surgery. That doesn't sound all that natural to me. And if it is so natural than why do I talk to people everyday who have no idea what is going on and are barely capable of forming a complete thought or sentence when it is requested of them? The majority of these people are not even old chronics, they are young kids and teens who think it's cool to smoke weed and then they end up getting hooked and talk like vegetables. Exactly vegetables don't talk!! I actually had to arrest a 12 year old male the other week for mischief but when I was talking to him he could barely answer my questions. Not because he was stoned at the time but because he has been stoned so many times previous in his short life that it is already effecting his brain. -There is my rant, someone was probably waiting to hear it knowing what I do for an occupation.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

I'm glad to see they are doing it. These guys are setting examples for many kids out there, and as such they don't need to be using illegal drugs.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That doesn't even make sense, dude. The spectators aren't competing in the event. Simply put, the sale of alcohol to fans and the intake of marijuana by competitors aren't even close to the same topic.

Yes-but if you are encouraging the fans that drinking on a golf course is socially acceptable then why would you screen golfers for marijuana if marijuana is 100 percent safer than alcohol...i dont know if youve ever watched the FBR Open--but the spike in DUI's after the event were dangerous for the local community--you cant say that marijuana is anywhere near as dangerous as alcohol...i dont care if it is illegal or not--the tour is being very hypocritical here by screening for marijuana

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Personally, I can't imagine how Marijauna could possibly enhance play. But I understand that it's psychoactive effect is different for different people. It's been a very long time since I was high - but it makes me vertiginous, paranoid, and overly analytical...Yuck...

You obviously havent tried the good 'ish ;)

I personally do enjoy it sometimes on the golf course. It's pretty rare these days for me and only with a foursome with my friends so as not to disturb some uptight anal-retentive golfer and be on the receiving end of his/her tirade on their views of etiquette. There truly is no better feeling (other than sex) than burning one down with your best buds in the open wilderness while whacking a little white ball around. Sure it's illegal, but so is jaywalking, and the NYPD has much more important things to do than to hunt down stoned golf junkies. As for the tour and their policies, I personally would prefer to see clean athletes compete rather than see some dude blame MJ for his/her lack of concentration on a certain hole or whatever. PLUS, I doubt any golfer would toke during a round of 18...on national TV...so smoking the night before shouldnt entirely inhibit them... I would honestly be interested to know which (and im sure there is at least one) current pros actually do do it recreationally. Charly Hoffman seems like the type...

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Yes-but if you are encouraging the fans that drinking on a golf course is socially acceptable then why would you screen golfers for marijuana if marijuana is 100 percent safer than alcohol...i dont know if youve ever watched the FBR Open--but the spike in DUI's after the event were dangerous for the local community--you cant say that marijuana is anywhere near as dangerous as alcohol...i dont care if it is illegal or not--the tour is being very hypocritical here by screening for marijuana

You know, maybe they should have the players do a breathalyzer as well... but the fact remains, right or wrong, that Marijauna is

illegal and alchohol is not . And as for the 'safer' argument - I don't buy it. Marijuana impairs judgement, reaction time, perception, and ability to concentrate. I don't want drunk drivers or people who are high behind the wheel of a car period. Perhaps the guy who has downed a fifth of bourbon is a little more dangerous than the guy who just smoked a few bowls. But it's a false choice - they both can kill someone and shouldn't be driving. Anway, this is going off-topic.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

in my country, we don't care how you spell it or what you call it, as long as you have some to share

Hahahahahahahahahaha........that was a good one!!

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

It couldn't make me putt any worse.

I tried to play ping pong on valium once... almost impossible to make contact with the ball without 110 percent concentration. No way i could break 140 on that stuff!

As for weed, I've never tried it, but some of my surfing buddies call it a "Wave enhancer"... but performance enhancer I can't see. And what kind of message would it send if the PGA tour gave tacit approval to the use of an illegal substance? In a game like golf that requires so much coordination, i can't see how anything which messed with your nerves or your mind could possibly help you. One tenth of a second of muscle lag and you're in the freaking woods. Remember Hingis got busted for using Coke at Wimbledon?
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Personally I don't think a little nuggage luggage is going to enhance anyone's game. I used to smoke with some regularity on the course but as ive gotten better ive realized that although it does allow me to relax (which i tend to have a problem doing), it atleast makes up for the relaxation with the lack of concentration. So I haven't been smoking on the course with any regularity lately. Seems like a lot of people here are good people that would go extremely out of their way to avoid stereotyping people on account of their race, but then immediately stereotype due to a person's choices that in no way affect you? In today's world, who would be crazy enough to agree that legality and the law have any correlation to morality? If you do...wow, enjoy living your life as a sheep. The politicians get done talking to the tobacco and alcohol companys, go pass bills that help keep marijuana illegal, then go to their quaint little bar in the outskirts of DC...get shit-faced, drive home drunk...and wake up to do it all over again.

Sorry about the rant, but some of the posts in this thread are crazy.

ON THE TOPIC- Marijuana should be screened for, just like any other sport. Im sure it didn't enhance Michael Vick's game either, but as long as it is illegal(which again...to me doesn't mean anything.) sports organizations are going to want to keep their players in a good public light. Breaking any law, regardless of the actual morality of the situation, negatively reflects on the players and PGA. So even though I doubt marijuana should be considered a performance enhancing drug...the technicality remains that most people are sheep in society and view breaking the law as bad regardless of the actual offense.

Hi-Bore 9.5° w/ UST pro-force v2 Stiff
Halo 1i 16°
Halo 3i 22°
735.cm 4-PW
Vokey 52.8, Vokey Spin-Milled 56.10, 60.4 Sophia 32" or Studio Design 1 34"

A few summers ago there was a group of guys I played with that played stoned. It was fun for a while. A great way to enhance a beautiful day on the course. I would actually play really great too, nicknamed the experience "Super Marijuana Golf." I would swing so freely I would pound the ball. See shots so vividly that I stick high bending 5 irons to within legit birdie range. And on the greens, forget it, everything went in.

I don't play while high anymore though, because I knew a day would come when testing would begin. I didn't want to become dependent on playing my good golf high. I knew I wouldn't be able to do so on any tour. Now I see it as a waste of a round to play high.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

no Mars bars in Ohio?

mars bars are only in Canada and Europe

I miss them so much!!! Smarties arent in the US either!

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

...In today's world, who would be crazy enough to agree that legality and the law have any correlation to morality? If you do...wow, enjoy living your life as a sheep. The politicians get done talking to the tobacco and alcohol companys, go pass bills that help keep marijuana illegal, then go to their quaint little bar in the outskirts of DC...get shit-faced, drive home drunk...and wake up to do it all over again...

...OR a quickie visit to the Emperor's VIP Club...Eliot Spitzer anyone? LOL

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I don't think that the testing is because they think it gives and advantage, I just don't think they want thier players showing up stoned to matches.

I just dont see how marijuana can be considered worse than alcohol in this context..They sell beer and alcohol at tour events and then you hear about somebody getting killed in a DUI after the event..Ive never heard about anyone dying over marijuana....marijuana shoud not be screened for tours sinmply because if they sell alcohol at the actual event and people die--what kind of message are they sending?

You have never heard about someone dying over marijuana. Please. Yes, no one has ever overdosed on marijuana, but many people have died by the drug ie- car crash, etc.

Yes-but if you are encouraging the fans that drinking on a golf course is socially acceptable then why would you screen golfers for marijuana if marijuana is 100 percent safer than alcohol

You have no clue what you are talking about. You just made up that 'statistic' please don't misinform anymore.

...i dont know if youve ever watched the FBR Open--but the spike in DUI's after the event were dangerous for the local community--you cant say that marijuana is anywhere near as dangerous as alcohol...i dont care if it is illegal or not--the tour is being very hypocritical here by screening for marijuana

You can definately make that argument. Stop lying to people on this forum.

Smarties arent in the US either!

That is not true, unless Alabama has seceded from the Union again.

I'm able to find Smarties at Walmart. As for Mars bars, I would not even know. Oh yeah, and marijuana may or may not improve your golf scores, but it is pointless to debate where the PGA tour should stand until it becomes legal in the US.
In my bag:

Driver: R540xd
3wood: F-50
3-PW: MP-60Wedges: misc. + RAC Chrome 56°Putter: Oz Blue ChipBall: One Platinum

No, but it is everywhere the PGA Tour plays, no?

This ruling encompasses more than just the US PGA Tour....European, asian...

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

Note: This thread is 5859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!