• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Golf autobiographies

I know there is a golf books thread, but I'm looking something a little more specific. I want to read directly from the pros, and read about their insight. Can anyone recommend some good autobiographies?

I know there is a golf books thread, but I'm looking something a little more specific. I want to read directly from the pros, and read about their insight. Can anyone recommend some good autobiographies?

I quite enjoyed Tom Kite's Fairway to Heaven , although it's more about Harvey Penick than Kite. John Daly's My Life... In and out of the rough wasn't bad, although I read it ... I think last summer? ... before the recent set of flaps. I just picked up Arnold Palmer's A Golfer's Life , but it's not at the front of the queue for reading for quite some time. I'll report back when I've read it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've only read Palmer's A Golfer's Life and Nicklaus' My Story , both of which were very good. Interesting from the aspect of where they came from and how they got to be where they are. Great from the standpoint of their own interpretation of how certain tournaments played out, along with views on relationships with other professional golfers. Hogan , by Curt Sampson, was insightful but not an autobiography.

did you find that there wasn't really much in Daly's book?...a few words and a lot of pictures that most of us had already seen. Are there any good auto/biographies that can be recommended for David Duval?

did you find that there wasn't really much in Daly's book?...a few words and a lot of pictures that most of us had already seen.

I hadn't seen them, but golf wasn't even on my radar until 2004.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks. I've seen that Daly book, but Im' just not a fan. That's why I'm hesitant to buy something about Jack. But, there is a big difference between John and Jack's careers. I'll check out that My Story I didn't read Sampson's Hogan book, but have read and enjoyed the one by Dodson. Tiger needs a book!

An absolute must read for any golfer is Jackie Burke's It's Only a Game . His view of the game, his experience with multiple pros, and his "I don't care what you think" attitude all come out in this book. I grew up out at Champions Golf Club and know Jackie fairly well, and this book comes as close as I think possible to talking to him in person (except without all the explitives).

You will not be disappointed at all.

Just finished Butch Harmon's The Pro and it was a good book. It focuses quite a bit on the lessons he learned from his Dad and his work with tour players. Amazing stuff about being a kid and playing rounds with his Dad and "Mr. Hogan" as he refers to it. Could you imagine; being a kid and getting tipos from the likes of Ben Hogan. Overall, the book was quite insightful and had things to pull out that can help your game too without it being an instructional book. I really think it should be required reading for anyone teaching golf. My two cents.

Thanks gogolfing. I like that it's not a true instructional book. that's really what I'm looking for. Insight into the game not through instruction.

msd I saw that one at Borders and was close to buying it. I'll put it on my list!

"Bring me the Head of Sergio Garcia"

It's about a golf writer deciding to put his clubs where his pen is and go on tour. Couldn't break 80 for the first few rounds, never mind make the cut. Talks about his struggles, the mental game and his experience of other players.

Witty, pithy, indiscreet and bitchy at times.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this